urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Oh and as a biker who hears "sorry mate I didn't see you" everyday as people endanger my life I definitely think the DVLA should be doing more about drivers vision

That has little to do with impairment of eyesight. It's about drivers approaching junctions with little intention of stopping, looking right and left too quickly before pulling out and without understanding that the A Pillar can completely obliterate the view of an approaching vehicle (much bigger than a motorcycle).

Back in my instructor days, we used to make sure that non car driving motorcyclists take this into account as part of their defensive driving strategy.

Add into the mix, the plethora of toys that car drivers have available to distract them and frankly it's surprising that there aren't more accidents.

You may feel indignant at having to take other peoples actions into account but it will keep you alive.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
without meaning to derail the thread...

here is a quick post i remember seeing when i first started back on the Bike.

geared more for cyclists, but suitable information for us motorcyclist as well.

https://www.portsmouthctc.org.uk/a-fighter-pilots-guide-to-surviving-on-the-roads/

my personal thoughts are that we might well be in the right..but still be laying on the deck.

i'd rather be more defensive to avoid that situation, and assume others aren't quite as good as they think,
when i'm out on the bike
which i supposed can make me quite an 'offensive' rider..as in i ride more tactically aware ( i hope ),
because it's MY bones getting broken,
rather then when i'm in the car, it's a bumper at worst (usually)

bmtest

Does anyone else ride motorbikes? What does it do to your BG?

When ever I have a day out on the bike I find my BG climbs rapidly. For example yesterday my BG was 5.4 before going out, 2 hours on the bike later I pul over to grab a drink, check my BG and its 15.4! I haven't eaten anything for 14 hours and my BG was steady throughout the night.

When I get home after a long ride I am pretty exhausted so would have thought it would bring BG down (I'm always careful not to do corrections when about to go out as don't want to risk a hypo while riding) but it's always the opposite, I'm guessing it's a result of the adrenaline rush?

I presume you knew the 5.4 test result was either static or on the up otherwise I would think its a bit low to start on bike journey and it not alarming at 15.4 for a one off, its better than other way. I say this as I rode for many years and you need good readings as there are not second chances and there are plenty of split second thinking on bikes.

Is it becaise it is all motorway riding with not much body movement country rodes to me take a bit more energy as you are throwing the bike around more and the blood is pumping more. You should not be getting many adrenaline rushes if you are used to riding and the bikes limits unless you ride on the edge constantly but could be cause, I still have the bike but it's not as much fun day to day riding with speed camera, traffic calming and stupid junctions that come out to the centre of the road.

Reactions: kitedoc

Timostags

I presume you knew the 5.4 test result was either static or on the up otherwise I would think its a bit low to start on bike journey and it not alarming at 15.4 for a one off, its better than other way. I say this as I rode for many years and you need good readings as there are not second chances and there are plenty of split second thinking on bikes.

Is it becaise it is all motorway riding with not much body movement country rodes to me take a bit more energy as you are throwing the bike around more and the blood is pumping more. You should not be getting many adrenaline rushes if you are used to riding and the bikes limits unless you ride on the edge constantly but could be cause, I still have the bike but it's not as much fun day to day riding with speed camera, traffic calming and stupid junctions that come out to the centre of the road.
Yes I use libre so can see the trend. I also will pull over do a scan every hour and never do a correction until I'm back home and off the bike.

No I avoid motorways at all costs and stick to twisty country roads. I wouldn't say I ride close to the edge but enough to get me excited. I have also found that going to the gym will push my BG up so it does seem to be that my body releases extra glucose for adrenaline/excerise.

I know a correction would be the best thing and I do enough to know how much extra bolus is needed I just always air on the side of caution when it comes to riding.

bmtest

In summary I am glad I survived the riding when urine testing with reagent strips was main option if picking up a 2% orange test tube with bare hands wasnt hazardous enough doing 70 miles distance on a GT250X7 twin 2 stroke with clip ons, microns, open carbs with 107 main jets & tin of digestives in haversack and screaming down dual carriagway at just over a ton in rain avoiding cats eyes was a thrill to behold. I always left hypos in the distance they never could catch me.