Best phone for multiple bluetooth devices (incl Blucon)?

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Apologies if this is in the wrong place... it is diabetes-related in a way, though...

I have a Blucon Nightrider and my LG G3 is running xDrip+ for it. I've recently acquired a few more bluetooth devices, and I've noticed that xDrip+ drops the connection more often now.

I'm wondering whether it's time to upgrade my handset. I can't afford a new one on a contract - I tend to buy refurb phones on Ebay for about £100 with 12 months' warranty.

I'd be interested to hear some suggestions if anyone knows about this sort of thing, please. I prefer the interface of Android OS< but it's not a deal-breaker.

If it makes any difference, the other devices I'm running are:
  • Polar H10 HRM
  • Garmin Vivosmart 4
  • Harmann-Kardon BTA10 hi-fi receiver
  • AutoDAB Go! in-car DAB & bluetooth adapter
  • Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @Colin of Kent , I'll tag @db89 for you, from some of his posts I think he might be professionally involved with bluetooth?

I'm assuming you have all the bluetooth trickery in xDrip+ switched on, like Agressive Service Restarts in Less Common Settings, and Bluetooth Watchdog in Bluetooth Settings? I don't know much of a difference they make but worth a try - I've got them switched on and rarely lose the connection.

Screenshot_2019-05-25-13-08-36.png

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, @Colin of Kent , I'll tag @db89 for you, from some of his posts I think he might be professionally involved with bluetooth?

I'm assuming you have all the bluetooth trickery in xDrip+ switched on, like Agressive Service Restarts in Less Common Settings, and Bluetooth Watchdog in Bluetooth Settings? I don't know much of a difference they make but worth a try - I've got them switched on and rarely lose the connection.
Thank you, yes, I have them turned on.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Colin of Kent, I've just seen this thread - didn't get a notification from @Scott-C's tag (thanks)!

If you're going manufacturer refurbished all I think I would suggest is try to stay away from Samsung with xDrip and Blucon/MiaoMiao. I've a Pixel 2 XL myself, I think it would cope with all of the devices you have listed. I think from memory you can have up to 7 active devices, but they must be using different profiles (such as audio). However, I remember with Android Pie being released last year there's a buried system toggle which will allow up to 5 concurrent audio devices connected at once.

So, if you can find a handset which is reasonably up to date from the last couple of years you should be OK I reckon. I do not have the aggressive settings turned on on my handset as restarting bluetooth has no effect other than disconnecting my headset or speaker if Blucon decides to have a connection glitch (rare, thankfully!).

Reactions: Colin of Kent