Unsure if hypoglycemia symptoms worth seeing a doctor about?

Ky306

So I just want to know if I should ask a doctor about this, but I've had symptoms of low blood sugar ever since I was 10, I remember not being able to get to the kitchen in one try, having to sit on the floor and eat a piece of bread with my hands shaking really badly before I was well enough to function again.
It happens less often now but reliably so when I have an early dinner, I wake up feeling that way, or if I've been out and about or at work (cashier) and haven't eaten in 8hrs.
I want to know if it's normal or if I should bother going to a doctor about it. I'm not on any medication other than the pill (since 18--I'm 24 and this has been happening since I was 10), and though my aunt and grandma have diabetes, I don't know if it's related.
Kind of just want to know if I should spend the time making an appointment and whatnot, don't want to do so only to go there and be told yeah, that's normal.
Hopefully you guys can help, if it's okay to post this here?

Reactions: kitedoc

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We can’t diagnose you so your best bet to see your GP to ask and get a few tests done to rule out any issues. I can assure you that newly diagnosed diabetics are running high blood sugars.

Reactions: kitedoc
M

Member496333

No, it’s not not normal and yes, you should most certainly seek medical opinion.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @Ky306 , some of the symptoms you describe bring to mind reactive hypoglycaemia, a condition where, very broadly speaking, the body makes too much insulin in response to a meal and blood sugar levels plummet.

Obviously, no-one here can diagnose, but it's maybe something to google to see if it rings any bells with you so you can discuss with your doc.

There's a sub-forum here about it at link below, and I'll tag @Brunneria and @Lamont D who I recall both have RH and may have pointers for you.

Edit: oops, forgot the link:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/reactive-hypoglycemia.70/

Last edited:
Reactions: Kittycat_7_

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with everyone who says no, it isn’t normal, and yes, get thee a doctor’s appointment. :)

RH is one possible explanation, but there are others, too, and your doc will hopefully run a few (many?) tests to eliminate various possibilities.

In the meantime, you may well, as @Scott-C says, find the reactive hypoglycaemia section of the forum interesting, and you may find a few of the coping mechanisms mentioned there are helpful to you. But I would urge you to still go to get a proper diagnosis.

Hope that helps!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You might want to get a glucose meter and check your actual BS levels when you feel hypo'ish just to see what the BS is so you can provide the GP with some data.

Ky306

Thanks everyone! I had a look at reactive, it's definitely not that, as it's if I've not eaten in a while, not after I eat. So fasting, I think. Appreciate the responses, I've made an appointment now. :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It still could be something that is still causing the symptoms from a pancreatic condition, if you are having hypoglycaemic episodes you are producing too much insulin, at some time. I go hypo after three and a half hours to 4 hours after eating.
There are many types of Hypoglycaemia and we all go hypo at different times.
Only a eOGTT or a fasting test can give a definitive diagnosis.
Childhood hypoglycaemia is common, but usually you grow out of it, but there are those, that continue to suffer. A lower carb diet is a good idea to alleviate the symptoms.