Driving After laser treatment

Becks33

Hi all

I have just had laser for proliferative retinopathy and due to have some more - what is the requirements for DVLA will I loose my liscence? Can anyone help!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Ask your doctor, but I know many diabetics who have had laser treatment and continue to drive.

Everyone's eyes are different, so it will depend on the state of your eyesight after the op.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I hope the treatment so far has been very effective. You will need to get a medical ruling. I would assume it is dependent on the individual and I doubt they would have not told you before the procedure that having the procedure will make you ineligible from driving ever again. After most eye procedures you are not allowed to drive for a temporary period of time after the procedure that ranges from hours to weeks.

Dark Horse

You can report your laser for diabetic retinopathy here:-
https://www.gov.uk/retinopathy-and-driving

The government information says this:-

What to expect
What to expect
Your condition

You will be asked a series of questions specific to your condition. The information you provide will be assessed and used to determine the next action.

Diabetic retinopathy (with laser treatment)
What could happen next:
  • you may be sent for a field of vision test, this will determine if you meet the peripheral and central field standards for safe driving
    More information about field of vision standards
  • your current driving licence may be revoked
Don't worry
Most drivers are allowed to continue driving.

How will DVLA use my data?
You need to confirm who you are
You can prove your identity using GOV.UK Verify or a digital identity from another European country.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had several bouts of laser treatment and at the time there was no requirement to register it with DVLA, but there was a need for medical determination by the Consultant opthamologist to provide the guidance on reduced vision and sensitivity for night driving, anf possible field of vision problems later on. I did declare these ops when I renewed my licence at 70 a couple of years ago. DVLA permitted me temporary driving permissions while they followed this up, and I was required to have a formal DVLA drivers sight test before I got my full renewal through, But I also had some strokes and heart attacks that they also had to consider along with the diabetes, so it did take about 6 months to get my photo ID.

I have now had triple heart bypass operation a couple of weeks ago, and am on a driving moratorium until Consultant gives go ahead, but I should be clear to drive again and do not need to inform DVLA either.

So, the laser treatment was actually small potatoes in the scheme of things, and I passed the field of vision test.