Dear judgemental person

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
There is a book written by Dr Maholtra on this diet that is available from the usual sources, A Google search should provide info, but there are people with a commercial interest so be wary. It is possible to glean enough free info to make informed choices in this matter, It is basically a low carb version of Mediterranean Diet which is also published, It was named after the Italian town of Pioppi, and reflects their lifestyle which produced a significant reduction in CVE for the local population compared to other groups.

Edit to add a link that may help, but it does contain a sales pitch at the end:
https://www.getthegloss.com/article/the-pioppi-diet-weekly-meal-plan

Its back at no.1 in the book charts.

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Like the Diagnostic port on the car?
Oh god, I couldn't risk having one of those. All of my colleagues would be constantly plugging in and trying to 'diagnose' me.

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh god, I couldn't risk having one of those. All of my colleagues would be constantly plugging in and trying to 'diagnose' me.
And this has been made even more appropriate today given that I have spent 9 hours at work trying to figure out why the software on the computer won't 'see' the dongle plugged into the diagnostic port. And apparently stress raises your BG?

Reactions: 1spuds

Gail1947

Dear Judgemental Person,

I'm sorry for choosing to be fat and having T2.

I didn't try to gain weight in my youth of walking, climbing, cycling, tennis and martial arts, but I admit I do like food. I am ashamed of that. Every time I look at a picture of burger and chips, I feel desire and I know I should really be feeling self-hatred. I'll try to work on that. I understand that it is only fair that I should be facing an increased risk of blindness, heart attack, kidney failure and amputation as punishment for giving in to eating things I liked and were readily available to me every day. I should have eaten things I didn't like, which must be what you do.

I am sorry that these days I only walk up hills for an hour every night after work in the p***ing rain and cold in a pathetic, lazy effort to deal with T2. And on the weekends, well the biggest walk I've managed recently is Snowdon, and I screwed that up by having two slices of fake low-carb bread when I got home just so I could pretend that I am eating food I actually like. I am so sorry. I just can't get anything right. I am pathetic.

I mean, I know I've never actually stolen food from anyone. And I know on occasions where food needs to be shared, such as when out hiking for days with friends, that I make d**n sure we all get the same. And yes, I often used to get cake at lunch time to share with people at work - people who gratefully accepted it and are thin. But none of that changes the fact that I deserve to be punished for those times when I actually enjoyed eating what I want - that's just selfish greed.

I don't believe this nonsense that science talks about - insulin what? Genetics what? Hunger hormones? Nonsense! Life is a level playing field, allowing us all to easily judge each other. We are all born the same, with the same bodies, and we experience the same things in life and have the same tastes. When I was standing there eating my bacon sandwich, the person next to me eating the salad was *pretending* to like it - they in fact must have wanted my bacon sandwich, but they were morally superior to me and so made the morally right decision.

I am now trying my best to atone for my sins. I have greatly reduce the range of foods I allow myself to eat and I am learning to eat things I don't like the taste of. I will ignore all the people around me who can eat whatever they want and I will not be jealous. I will spend the rest of my life counting carbs and calories. And I'm losing weight, and will gratefully accept that I'll probably spend the rest of my life with a low BMR, needing to eat much less than other people to stay thin.

That's if I can even get thin. Some lazy T2 slob on this forum tried eating 800 calories a day for 8 weeks recently and his weight loss stalled - he was pathetic, like me. But I will try. This is the least I can do to make up for my decadent past.

And when I'm thin, I'll still have T2, but I accept tha... what? What's that you say? When I'm thin you won't judge me any more? Wow, now THERE'S an incentive to lose weight.

You arrogant p***k. If I beat this thing it will be for me, not you.

Sincerely.

Edited by moderator for language

Well done for your difficult efforts. It’s like asking an alcoholic to have three drinks a day “ but they must be tiny! “ but we have to eat! Some things I think you may have misjudged... we are not all born identical, so that makes a difference beyond your control. If that guy counts calories, that form of dieting will fail because your metabolism follows the calories down and you stop loosing. We have been told reduce calories for a hundred years and obesity is still rising and so is diabetes. So what more proof does the medical profession need?
Chin up you will get there one day “or die in the attempt! “ he he.
Good luck from a new type2 food addict.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Even judgy, judgy, judgy people will applause your forthrightness.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
You know, the harshest judgement is that which we lay upon ourselves. We often think we are being judged harshly by someone (and sometimes we are) but more often it's that little creative voice in our heads putting words in the mouths of strangers who happen to give us a funny look (when they probably had that look because, ironically, they thought someone was judging them...). If you find yourself judging yourself, you have the power to be kinder and the world will seem a kinder place if you cut yourself some slack.
When I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes, I strangely never had time to consider the stigma, although I did notice at least one person behind a counter at a bakery recoil when I mentioned diabetes and asked if there was anything without too many carbohydrates :D For me, the diagnosis was not a complete shock as I was aware that my sweet tooth was probably having an effect. But being older, I don't feel so ripped-off at having to take my health seriously, finally, and actually see this as an opportunity to educate anyone and everyone about insulin resistance and that any of us could be a step away from prediabetes if we've eaten like most of us do. I feel like being a crusader to help others avoid our fate. That judgemental person probably already has a level of insulin resistance that they may not even know about. I don't worry that others don't think it will happen to them. We know this can happen to the most unsuspecting after we've all been misguided by the food pyramid. Think of this as an opportunity to help others. Rise above what you see as their judgment and reach out to help them instead. Even those eating what they believe to be healthy vegetarian diets end up diabetic sometimes and they wouldn't have seen it coming.

Reactions: Salvia