Dunno if this works yet - seitan bacon

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I got a recipe online that has great reviews, although I see some of them say they'd add more liquid smoke next time round (hey - what can be wrong with more liquid smoke??)

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/seitan-bacon-498364

Bit of a faff to get the stripes in, but I see it makes a lot of slices.

I made ordinary seitan today and it is much easier to cut with a proper slicing movement of a good cook's knife, rather than sort of pushing the blade down to cut.

I'm going to have a go at making this tomorrow (assuming I have enough vital wheat gluten left - there isn't much in the jar). If there's enough, and I make it, I'll report back.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Ha! Not enough, but I have more being delivered today by Amazon.

It came, but I ran out of time.

I'm making it on Wednesday, along with another batch of tender steaks and a some tofu.

Last edited:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Well I've made it, sliced it and it does look good! It smells yummy too. Didn't take that long to make - two batches of seitan (one with tomato paste, soy sauce, liquid smoke and different herbs/spices to the other batch. Layer the two batches, press for 30 minutes. Bake for 45 minutes. Slice into "rashers", let cool and store in the fridge. I layered my rashes with greaseproof paper (baking sheets?) in between the layers so they didn't try to stick to each other.

The test will be tomorrow morning when some gets fried up to have with my scrambled tofu and tomatoes (with parmegan on top).

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

That works! Make sure you do the pressing bit of the recipe (I used a wooden chopping board, with a sheet of clingfilm (saran wrap) underneath to keep the seitan block from sticking. Also, use your very sharpest knife for the slicing once you've baked. You'll need it. My husband's knives weren't sharp enough but my cook's knife was.

When preparing for eating - add a little fat to the pan, or the seitan cooks through but isn't actually fried. It tastes more baked. If you add the fat to the frying pan it's OK. Cooks quickly.

One batch made according to the recipe yielded about 30 or more slices.

Store in the fridge until fried, and I stored the rashers in a box in layers separated by greaseproof paper.

But - I'll make it again!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can we have some pics? I am fascinated by this idea.
Did yours end up looking like the pics in the recipe link in your first post?

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Yes - it did! I'll take a pic at lunchtime. I'm not at home at the moment.

Reactions: Brunneria

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Box of not-bacon plus bowl of lunch (salad & veg smothered with parmegan, sunflower seeds and basil-infused olive oil.

Bacon.jpg

Last edited:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

The liquid smoke & paprika do an amzing job in adding oodles of flavour!