Sustainable lifestyle change

M

Member496333

It’s a very personal thing. We all have different tolerances and expectations. Speaking only for myself, I have no intention of ever reintroducing the foods that made me diabetic. Not in any quantity. But that is just me.

Reactions: Flamingo74

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your Hba1c was rather high - I was told by my GP that I was a very bad diabetic with a first test of 91 - that was only his opinion and I soon altered it - but if you want to eat ce cream I'd advise making some from cream and eggs 'real' icecream, - which is frozen custard. If you want chocolate then modest amounts of high cocoa sorts seem OK for many - and for a milk shake, take cream and berries, add to cold water and blend together.
It might take a bit of time to create low carb foods - but I don't think that I could ever go back to eating high carb foods with any enthusiasm. For one thing they make me fat, now that my diabetes seems to have faded away I am back to the situation I was in decades ago of putting on a pound if I just stood in the doorway of a baker's shop and inhaled deeply.

Flamingo74

Your Hba1c was rather high - I was told by my GP that I was a very bad diabetic with a first test of 91 - that was only his opinion and I soon altered it - but if you want to eat ce cream I'd advise making some from cream and eggs 'real' icecream, - which is frozen custard. If you want chocolate then modest amounts of high cocoa sorts seem OK for many - and for a milk shake, take cream and berries, add to cold water and blend together.
It might take a bit of time to create low carb foods - but I don't think that I could ever go back to eating high carb foods with any enthusiasm. For one thing they make me fat, now that my diabetes seems to have faded away I am back to the situation I was in decades ago of putting on a pound if I just stood in the doorway of a baker's shop and inhaled deeply.

I’m not at the point of wanting to, I more wonder if I ever will and if I can.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m not at the point of wanting to, I more wonder if I ever will and if I can.
Two months ago your Hba1c was over 100 - I would really recommend changing what you eat to get it lower.
The consequences of uncontrolled diabetes can be very nasty.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How often and when should I test ?
Sorry just saw no-one really answered this..
I usually test when I get up in the morning then just before and a couple of hours after eating to see the effect of the meal on bloods. Pre prandial and post prandial readings want to be less than 2 mmol/l apart (personally I go for even less but I've been doing this a while).

Reactions: Flamingo74

VMK

Hi @Flamingo74 welcome to the forum. It is up to you whether you try something new it’s not cheating at all. If you test try it and see what effect it has. Chocolate wise I often have a couple of squares of 70 to 85% dark chocolate and I do have ice cream occasionally. I know some, like @Rachox, have Oppo ice cream (I think that’s what it’s called) but I have Kelly’s Cornish :hungry: which may be too carby for some! However I am lucky in that I seem to be able to tolerate more carbs that many on here - I average between 100 - 130g per day but do occasionally go higher or lower and have managed to keep my hba1c within non diabetic levels for approx 5 years.

Yes, me too.. I was diagnosed in February and on diet only ( Low carb NOT no carb) have brought my HbA1c down from 48 to 43 and lost 10 lbs in the process. I can eat a few potatoes but pizza sends my BG rocketing although I have it occasionally. I wish you well on your journey.....

Flamingo74

Yes, me too.. I was diagnosed in February and on diet only ( Low carb NOT no carb) have brought my HbA1c down from 48 to 43 and lost 10 lbs in the process. I can eat a few potatoes but pizza sends my BG rocketing although I have it occasionally. I wish you well on your journey.....

Thank you. I have a long way to go and am determined. This is more of a wondering about the future post that feeling like I want anything specific now. I am happy with what I am eating but am going to monitor my blood sugars more closely. Good luck with your journey too.