Count down to GTT Prediabetes?

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I had gestational diabetes during my most recent pregnancy. In Australia, that means a fasting glucose over 5.0mmol. Sometimes mine was up to 5.6 as the pregnancy went on in the final trimester. I ended up on insulin at night for that. I ate low carb and mostly managed to keep my 2 hour post meal readings below the target of 6.7mmol, but if I ate anything carby, I was sometimes in the 8s at the 2 hour mark.
Now I am 3 weeks postpartum (baby is fine) and I have 3 weeks to go before I do another GTT to see if I was really already prediabetic, which I am highly suspecting. I know it can take 6 weeks for the hormones to settle down, which is why the GTT is not done before 6 weeks postpartum, but for some women, their blood glucose levels return to normal very quickly after giving birth. I'm 3 weeks on now and still eating low carb mostly but have tested by eating a few carby things again. My readings so far do not look much different from when I was pregnant. So the insulin resistance is still there for me, which is why I suspect I may have prediabetes already.
Just wondering, if you ate a meal with a few carbs - I made a curry with probably half a can of chickpeas in my serve, no rice but a handful of mixed veges including carrot, pumpkin, corn, peas, broccoli, mushroom, garlic, tomato and a bit of mince and onion. Ghee, coconut oil and spices then served with sour cream. I had a couple of serves and a big glass of goat's milk afterwards. I was 6.7 around 1 - 2 hours later, but then still 6.1 after 3 - 4 hours. Being in the 6s at 3-4 hours after a meal shows an impaired glucose tolerance, doesn't it? If you are prediabetic, what do your post meals look like if you eat a few healthy carbs like the chickpeas and veges were in my curry? If I eat a more keto stlye meal, I'll usually be in the 5s at the 2 hour mark and before meals. It's been hard to get a true fasting reading recently though because baby keeps me up half the night and I end up nibbling on nuts because I get hungry during my night shifts. I'm sleeping a bit during the day and not eating as much then so meal times are all over the place. Anyway, it seems my days of munching naughty carbs are coming to a close. I am seeing the benefits of low carb eating already now as I have shed the baby weight much faster this time than my last 2 pregnancies so no one has to convince me to stick to low carb. I'm only hoping I can still have a small slice or two of my husband's sourdough rye and spelt breads without it leading me to an early death :p

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Being 71 years old, my baby days are well and truly over, so I know nothing about gestational diabetes. I'm not sure it was even "invented" in 1970 when my daughter was born. We certainly never had any tests for it. Mind you, we never had scans or constant monitoring either. We were just left to get on with it. So, I can't add anything to your post. I just want to wish you good luck with it all.

What should the OGTT results be?
People without diabetes
  • Fasting value (before test): under 6 mmol/L
  • At 2 hours: under 7.8 mmol/L
People with impaired glucose tolerance (IGT)
  • Fasting value (before test): 6.0 to 7.0 mmol/L
  • At 2 hours: 7.9 to 11.0 mmol/L
Diabetic levels
  • Fasting value (before test): over 7.0 mmol/L
  • At 2 hours: over 11.0 mmol/L

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would - unfortunately - advise avoiding bread unless it is a low carb sort - I can buy protein bread and I also make my own with loads of seeds, ground almond psyllium husk, anything to make it lower in carbs, and then I bake it in muffin tins and put it in the freezer, as that helps to ration it out.
I have been eating low carb whenever I could get away with it, for about 40 years as I always had a problem with my weight after a long series of antibiotics in my early 20s.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Cocosilk have you been advised how to prepare for your OGTT, bearing in mind you have been low carbing for a while?

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
@Cocosilk have you been advised how to prepare for your OGTT, bearing in mind you have been low carbing for a while?
I've heard you are supposed to eat a certain amount of carbs for a few days prior otherwise you get worse results. Is that what you've heard?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've heard you are supposed to eat a certain amount of carbs for a few days prior otherwise you get worse results. Is that what you've heard?

These are the instructions on the pack of Rapilose that you can buy. It is a ready made 75g glucose drink
https://www.gpsupplies.com/catalog/...pilose-ogtt-glucose-solution-300ml-pack-of-1/

upload_2019-5-27_17-2-54.png

Reactions: Cocosilk

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I see @Bluetit1802 has posted the relevant link for the UK. I can only imagine something largely similar in Aus.

Reactions: Cocosilk