What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
B. Boiled egg with HiLo toast with butter and vegemite. Black tea, black coffee.
L. Prawns, sundries tomatoes, half an avocado.
D. Gazpacho then smoked mackerel fillet with roast aubergine salad, mixed nuts.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ll have to do that.
I used to have those old wartime books when I first left home. I found them very good then. But lost them over the years.
Thanks

>^..^<

Gennepher - Are you eggs already cooked or raw? Having read how to make dried eggs, I realise they can be either.

I must mention the concept to my frieds who are being overwhelmed by the laying performance of their 3 girls.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All has an away day to the coast with OH. Started with brunch of two poached eggs on bed of spinach and mushrooms and large Americano with hot milk. Then very long walk about 4 miles, stopped off in the arcades on the way back and behaved like kids playing 2p tipping machines to the tune of £3.20 was huge fun. Won 2 toys and donated to rhe stash of two nearby kiddies! Then went to cinema to see Rocketman which was much more emotional than I expected. I had a real tear in my eye on a couple of occasions. Then went to supper at Nandos, chicken thighs, roasted med veg and home.

D

Deleted member 308541

Does anyone have any idea what or how I can use these scrambled eggs up?
This link may help, dunno if the recipes are low carb, except for reconstituting a powder to a egg.

https://www.familysurvivalplanning.com/powdered-eggs.html
I didn't know you could get dried eggs nowadays! Maybe you look up some wartime recipes - i can remember my Mum used to talk about having dried egg in WW2 in all sorts of things.
I can remember eating powdered egg in what ever was passed off as a egg when food was still on ration after the war. I never ate a real fresh egg for years.

Where we get our online grocery shopping from sell it, or did as I just had a quick look and did not see it.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Viv19 and maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. It’s been grey and drizzly here today so my plans were scuppered. Returned from my walk after 5 mins with wet jeans.
B: 1 boiled egg 1 slice LivLife bread soldiers. CWC
No lunch intended but whether it was the bread or the fact I went to a foodie market this morning, I got very hungry around midday so bought some brazils and ate quite a few on the way home. When I gothime I slso ate half the dressed crab I’d bought and some Montezuma’s.
Afternoon spent cooking listening to Johnny Walker’s sounds of the 70s on radio2 I love this on a wet Sunday afternoon.
D: Roast duck, 2 small bits roast swede, buttered cabbage and broccoli. Red wine. Some Cornish cheese and a few of @shelley262 ‘s seedy crackers
@gennepher I’d no idea dried egg was still available either. It definitely has a wartime connotation for me
@Brunneria I have Patak’s madras paste so Coronation chicken is on the cards very soon. I completely agree that the sultanas in it were horrible and unnecessary. I have sour cream in the fridge so I think that’ll work well.
@PenguinMum your day sounds like it was great fun. I felt the same about Rocketman and was expecting something more uplifting. In retrospect I think it was very good, but I came away feeling quite down.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love guinea pigs. Love ‘em.
And the babies are just perfect. Big eyes, big heads and feet. Small bodies. Already furred. And VERY big squeaks.

Have the boys come across the literary genius and phenomenal story teller Olga da Polga?
Written my Michael Bond.
Fab books.
Wish I still had them. Would enjoy them just as much now as I did age 6? 8?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olga_da_Polga
I didn't and they didn't but I've found them on World Books. They are used books but every kids book I've bought from them has been in really good condition. I've just ordered 6 Olga books.
The babies are really cute. They are now back in the main hutch with Mummy Ginnie and sidekick Minnie. No 1 informs me Minnie is tolerating the babies trying to suckle her as well as Ginnie.

Reactions: gennepher and Chook

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: roast chicken, one small roast potato, mixed veg and gravy thickened with flax, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: caramel Carb Killa bar and black coffee.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a large bag of powdered dried eggs.

I was using them to make omelettes, but my dedicated omelette maker decided to give up the ghost. I wasn’t wasting money on another one.

As far as cooking goes the electric stove packed in years ago, and so I went over to cooking in the microwave.

I do have a tiny instant pot (called Perfect Cooker).

My kitchen is smaller than a ship’s galley so I don’t have room for a pile of appliances. And unless they have timer and automatically turn off when cooked I am not interested. Because stuff has been known to go on fire because I totally forget I am cooking.

So the only thing I can safely cook in is the microwave, but I did wonder the other day what on Earth was the shrivelled up item in it.

I rarely feel hungry so I forget I’ve put food on to cook.

Anyway, the point is I have this bag of powdered eggs, and my attempt this morning to make scrambled eggs with it in the microwave ended up being a rubber mat...inedible...

Does anyone have any idea what or how I can use these scrambled eggs up?

Or do I bin them?

>^..^<
Gee don't bin them. I remember my Mum and Grandma using them just like eggs in baking. Sometimes used dried, sometimes reconstituted. They had them in large tins in the pantry cupboard. I remember the FruGrains were in there too. I loved that cereal.
Totally agree you need to seek out wartime recipes but, as far as scrambled microwave eggs go I suspect you've overcooked. I make scrambled eggs in the micro and you have to watch them like a hawk.
I would reconstitute the dried egg with water - try 1 tablespoon dried egg to 2 tablespoons water, season and beat as you would normal eggs. Butter the dish you're going to cook them in. If you want it a bit more luxurious add a dash of double cream and beat again. Pop into the buttered dish you're cooking in and give it 40 seconds tops. Remove and mix it again then back in the micro for maybe 30 seconds? Depends on the power of your microwave and how well you want the eggs cooked. I prefer creamy so I give it less time.

Reactions: gennepher and Chook

CearaRed1073

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
onions, cheeseburgers, diabetes, colors of red, yellow, and orange, houston (too big and WAY too much traffic, not nearly enough public transportation)
a bit of background on me to explain my post: I have been type-1 since October 1978, my last hemoglobin A1c was 6.7 on 22 April 2019, I live in the US, have been on an insulin pump for more than 16 years, and my only complication has been cataract surgery in 2008.

however, I haven't been hungry since 2015 and in point of fact, I'm not even certain I would recognize it if I were hungry. food essentially holds no interest for me whatsoever and I merely eat to function. I also somehow manage to walk about 5-6 miles per day. I am 5'6" tall (167.64 cm) and currently weigh about 137 pounds (62.14 kg).

so what have I eaten today? not much...had a plain cake doughnut at about 8 am and a bit of half and half with my coffee this morning (I stop drinking caffeine before noon, so I can fall asleep, but it doesn't always work). and that is all, but I will have something for dinner. I measure a lot of what I eat and I add it and my daily exercise to a website called LoseIt.com. this is something I have been doing since 2011.

Reactions: ianpspurs and Viv19

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gennepher - Are you eggs already cooked or raw? Having read how to make dried eggs, I realise they can be either.

I must mention the concept to my frieds who are being overwhelmed by the laying performance of their 3 girls.

Oh, I have no idea.

I can research it or contact the place I bought them from. Which I will do now you have raised this point.

I think I made the assumption that they could be raw, so obviously I do not lick the spoon, and spoons or forks used to beat them, and I washed the container I mixed it in, in separate water. To be on the safe side.

I have an air drier in which I dry my garden fruit in, but that would be no good for eggs.

It would be good if your friends could find a way of doing that.

Reactions: ianpspurs
D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Rissoles, salad with the rest of the kimchi jar mixed in. Gunna buy extra kimchi this week.
Dinner: Mutton chops, veggies, gravy.
Breakfast: Good old cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomato, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugar / sweetener, water.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This link may help, dunno if the recipes are low carb, except for reconstituting a powder to a egg.

https://www.familysurvivalplanning.com/powdered-eggs.html

I can remember eating powdered egg in what ever was passed off as a egg when food was still on ration after the war. I never ate a real fresh egg for years.

Where we get our online grocery shopping from sell it, or did as I just had a quick look and did not see it.

Okay.
That is a good link for me to investigate.
Before I became diabetic, I made up my own recipes to do cake in a mug in the microwave. But I liked it too much so stopped doing it.

But I can do a rethink. And experiment.

I got my whole dried egg from Amazon. U.K. just had a peek and there seems to be quite a few choices of products there at this moment.

Thank you

>^..^<

Reactions: ianpspurs

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gee don't bin them. I remember my Mum and Grandma using them just like eggs in baking. Sometimes used dried, sometimes reconstituted. They had them in large tins in the pantry cupboard. I remember the FruGrains were in there too. I loved that cereal.
Totally agree you need to seek out wartime recipes but, as far as scrambled microwave eggs go I suspect you've overcooked. I make scrambled eggs in the micro and you have to watch them like a hawk.
I would reconstitute the dried egg with water - try 1 tablespoon dried egg to 2 tablespoons water, season and beat as you would normal eggs. Butter the dish you're going to cook them in. If you want it a bit more luxurious add a dash of double cream and beat again. Pop into the buttered dish you're cooking in and give it 40 seconds tops. Remove and mix it again then back in the micro for maybe 30 seconds? Depends on the power of your microwave and how well you want the eggs cooked. I prefer creamy so I give it less time.
Right!
Thank you very much for that input.
That is extremely helpful.
I do like creamy scrambled eggs as well, and so I will try the above.
Tomorrow morning!
Thank you.

>^..^<

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
You have more self control than I do then. Much as I love the sound of this cake, since OH is not interested in much sweet stuff, guess who eats it? That’s possibly how I ended up in this mess in the first place.
I’m good with total denial (that’s how I gave up smoking years ago) but no good with a ‘little.’ All or nothing!

Actually, no I don't! I ate far too much of it over this afternoon. It's a good thing I put real sugar buttercream on half of it for other folks or I'd be on track for eating it three meals a day until it was gone. I can only do this sweets stuff rarely, or I'll eat it all. At once. I got lucky with my gluttony today though-- when I was finally able to test, bg was 5.4, which surprised and pleased me.
MrZF can be handed a tin of hot-from-the-oven choc chip cookies, and eat 2 cookies a day until they're gone. He has a totally different food personality than I do!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@maglil55 and @DJC3 Boob cheese????? The "censor" lets us say that???
@gennepher how about trying the rubber eggs again, use cream or milk if you can, and nuke very slowly on a low temp, in a deepish bowl, stirring every 30 seconds? Even cooking regular eggs in microwave is pretty touch and go for me.
Well, used up my time for tonight. It's play here or sleep. Sleep wins. Goodnight all you good folk! I'll catch up when I retire.

Viv19

I seem to have forgotten to post food.
Tea
Breakfast 2 boiled eggs, 1 LC roll, some Camembert. Cwc
LC bread with cheese, 4 cherry toms
Yoghurt and berries
Nordic walking
Nuts.
Evening. lettuce, tomato, half small avocado (other half was rotten), 2 mushrooms sliced, sheep feta cheese and dressing.
In between tea w milk, water, coffee with cream.