If you could pick your insulin pump, which one would it be?

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Hello, Oh dear, i'm sorry to hear :( have you expressed it to your team? I haven't heard anyone fighting for another choice for their chosen pump. I'd love to hear any updates on your pump situation.

I can't even get them to help me get extra sets every 3 months ever mind talk about other pumps. They are pretty closed up. we are quick to get things like libre, new insulins, pumps for lots of people but it is very 'this is all we have, take it or lump it'

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't even get them to help me get extra sets every 3 months ever mind talk about other pumps. They are pretty closed up. we are quick to get things like libre, new insulins, pumps for lots of people but it is very 'this is all we have, take it or lump it'
That's understandable, unless you go private, right? :( That makes me feel a bit unsure when it's my turn to consider insulin pump therapy, if that's the only choice we get and patients suffer because there's no other choice.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
That's understandable, unless you go private, right? :( That makes me feel a bit unsure when it's my turn to consider insulin pump therapy, if that's the only choice we get and patients suffer because there's no other choice.

Other parts of the UK have more choices. I think that if you are considered for pump therapy it will be because you need it. I couldn't live a normal life without my pump. My issues with my pump are still better than injections. You should give it a try if it works for you, no doubt.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Other parts of the UK have more choices. I think that if you are considered for pump therapy it will be because you need it. I couldn't live a normal life without my pump. My issues with my pump are still better than injections. You should give it a try if it works for you, no doubt.
I've heard some parts of the UK have only one choice for pumps like you D: So I guess it depends on the CCG, but I hope there is a solution to your current issue, :(

D

Deleted Account

It is very frustrating as I find the medtronic sets utterly horrendous. Something to think on.
I am not a Medtronic user but as my CCG provides the same official "choice" as yours, I have been keeping an eye on the posts about it.
One thing I noticed is they have a wider variety of sets than Animas. If you are struggling with the Medtronic set, you could ask for something different. I keep reading about "Sure-T" which seems to suit quite a few people who struggled with Mio.
As I said, I have not personal experience, yet.

malky39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I like the idea of tubeless with the omni pod but I was given the choice of the 640g and nothing else. In all honesty the canual is not as annoying as i thought it would be. Due for an upgrade in October so i imagine it will be the 670g

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like the idea of tubeless with the omni pod but I was given the choice of the 640g and nothing else. In all honesty the canual is not as annoying as i thought it would be. Due for an upgrade in October so i imagine it will be the 670g

Ah yes i've seen the omni pod is a popular choice :) I'm not too sure about the tubeless pump, the Medtrum A6 is the only patch pump with CGM integration and is able to predict/suspend when BGs are high or low.

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Guys,
I am beginning to realise that i am quite lucky with my area.
This is the list of pumps i have been given:

Insulet - Omnipod
Roche - Accu-Chek Insight
Roche - Accu-Chek Combo
Ypsomed - Mylife YpsoPump
Medtronic - MiniMed 640G
Medtronic - Minimed 670G

I love the idea of tubeless, so Omnipod was high on my list.
However, i was drawn to the idea of a Medtronic Minimed 670G, because of the CGM interface (but the compatible CGM is self-funding in my area).

Currently i am using a Libre FGM and a MiaoMiao to give me CGM information via xDrip+ and Nightscout.
I really like xDrip+ and even the slightest possibility of being able to interface xDrip or Nightscout to the Omnipod would be my ideal solution.

I have heard very little on the forums about the Roche pumps.
I currently use an Accu-Chek Expert meter and the Accu-Chek Combo pump seems to have an almost identical controller.
But that isn't much of a reason to get it.

Any thoughts?

Slog

https://www.diabettech.com/looping-a-guide/

This might help, Slog. You can loop with either of the Accu-chek pumps too using Android APS.

Reactions: Capt-Slog

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don't know if/when these will be available anywhere, they might turn out to be vapour-ware but there seems to be a couple of new patch pumps being punted:

Kaleido:
https://www.hellokaleido.com/en/about-kaleido

They're going to have a stand at that T1dROM thing I'm going to in Edinburgh later this month so will have a nosey at those.

EOFlow:
http://www.eoflow.com/eng/main/main.html

There's an article about the EOFlow suggesting it has an inbuilt cgm to close loop but their site doesn't seem to mention that, but I've just skimmed through it:
https://myglu.org/articles/eoflow-g...urce=facebook&hss_channel=fbp-142601455820931

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Thanks Notorious (cool name by the way).

Although I have a massive range with my CCG, for which I feel very lucky, I had a chat with the girls from my CCG team at the pump drop-in last week.
I told them that I was REALLY interested in the Tandem t:slim X2 pump.
They have said that there is a (t:) slim chance that maybe they can put me on it, as a sort of Guinea Pig test case for our area. I have every digit crossed that maybe they can swing it for me.

All of the reviews for the t:slim X2 seem to suggest that it IS a VERY good pump. If I do get it, then I will probably move away from my (NHS) Libre / MiaoMiao combo I am currently using and self-fund the Dexcom G6. At the very least I shall try the 1 month trial.

The current Tandem Basal IQ software is very good (no lows). Later this year should see the release of Control IQ (no lows and no highs) and 2020 could see the introduction of some full closed loop software.

The 670G/CGM setup is ok, but the choice of the X2 with a Dexcom G6 is a game changer for me.

I think that Medtronic made a huge mistake not choosing Dexcom as their CGM partner.

CGM aside, I think that the t:slim X2 is the best pump currently on the market.
The Omnipod is very good but the 200u reservoir is too small for me.

I did ask the rep from Roche a lot of questions about the Combo, both because of the looping facility (which she would not be drawn upon to discuss) and because I currently use the Expert BG meter and the Combo meter is identical apart from an extra menu selection for the pump.

D

Deleted Account

CGM aside, I think that the t:slim X2 is the best pump currently on the market.
What is your criteria for “best pump”?
I believe this is a personal decision and we all have different criteria.
For example, size is important for me because I am small and do not like being labelled (and judged ... which is topical considering today’s news about the PM) as diabetic by a pump which is too big to hide. Especially when smaller pump options are available.
Size is also important as I exercise regularly and need a pump which does not get in the way.
Likewise, for exercise, I need different basal profiles and small insulin doses.
One huge problem with my Animas is the screen is not bright enough so struggle to use it outdoors.

Apart from size (t:slim is not particularly small (despite the name)), I do not know much more about my criteria).

The firmware updates are good but as a software engineer, I also know this is very risky. So I will be watching it closely.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @helensaramay, is there a smaller pump than the t:slim? Don't forget it holds 300 units.
I've been using one for a couple of months now & I'm impressed. The only problem I've had was a bent cannula which being my first, was a bit unnerving. The screen is not great in bright sunlight.
I don't feel worried about the updates - the method has been approved by the FDA. Basal IQ has already been rolled out by this method in the USA & I haven't read of any problems.

I'm eagerly awaiting Basal-IQ, hopefully not too long now - it's been available in the USA for 6 months or more.
@Capt-Slog Control-IQ is their "full closed loop software" I think, or have you seen something else?

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
@helensaramay: "What is your criteria for “best pump”? I believe this is a personal decision and we all have different criteria."

Sorry @helensaramay, that is very true.
Perhaps I should have said
"I think the t:slim X2 is probably the best pump for me".

My primary and overiding requirement is a large reservoir. This has reduced my choices quite a lot, which was a bit of a relief to be honest as I was getting inundated with information.

Which Animas pump have you got? Is it the Vibe? Presumably now Animas is out of the insulin pump market, you will have to change pumps? I guess you have become very attached to it (seriously, no pun intended).

As for the t:slim size, I believe it is the smallest 300u tube pump (available on the NHS) at the current time. It is also smaller than almost all other small reservoir pumps.

50.8 x 79.5 x 15.2 mm = 61,386.72 = X2
50.8 x 82.6 x 21.8 mm = 91,474.54 = Vibe
53.3 x 96.0 x 24.4 mm = 124,849.92 = 670G

This shows that the Vibe is 150% larger than the X2 and the 670g is twice the size.

Of course there are smaller PATCH pumps like the Omnipod, but it only holds 200u which is no good for me.

I have been looking at lots of YouTube videos from people who make regular Vlogs about diabetes and a lot of them are changing over to the t:slim X2. They all seem to be raving about it.

I know we are all different, but if size is really important to you, perhaps take another look at the X2.

D

Deleted Account

@Capt-Slog i currently have the Vibe.
It is my first pump so I love the variable basal and small doses but have always found it incredibly bulky.
I use about 35 units a day so the cartridge is bigger than I need for 3 days and I am surprised it uses AA battery which is large.

I think I would prefer a patch pump due to the size so I am starting a Medtrum A6 trial later this week. This is the only patch my CCG will consider and I will be the first person to trial it in my area.

The X2 is not an option. The only official choice is Medtronic 640g or injections.

CearaRed1073

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
onions, cheeseburgers, diabetes, colors of red, yellow, and orange, houston (too big and WAY too much traffic, not nearly enough public transportation)
I would be reluctant to choose any pump that doesn't have insulin cartridges. I love my accuchek insight pump for its prefilled pumpcarts. No more drawing insulin up with risks of air bubbles, I just pop a new cartridge in, so easy and quick

this is new information for me, so thank you for posting this information. because I live in the US, I get no choice in insulin pumps, but considering I have been using one for more than 16 years, it could always be worse, right?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
spices, Indian food, peanut butter
I’ve been fortunate to pick my own pump I’m having the t slim x2 and have also got the dexcom to work a long-side it. I’m not fitted until Tuesday but I’m equally as nervous as I am excited

Reactions: figster