Anxiety

misspinky1984

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Horrible people
Hey Ive been struggling with type 1 diabetes for quite a while I recently when on insight pump and am also one of the lucky ones to get libre on prescription but even tho hba1c has come down an awful lot I get a lot of anxiety if I don’t have perfect readings (which I know no one is perfect) that they will be taken away from me, is it possible to get them taken off you and does anyone feel like this sorry if I sound stupid thanks

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Lol, @misspinky1984 , we meet again!

There's been a recent thread at link below about anxiety over bg testing which is worth a look at.

I think we worry too much about levels, keeping generally in range is good enough, don't sweat the occasional outliers, you're now blinged up with a pump and cgm, so don't sweat it.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...you-are-testing-too-much.164661/#post-2060128

Most of us are just chucked out into the wild with very basic knowledge of how to manage T1, we're not told how to figure out basal rates, ratios etc., so it's no wonder we get anxious and uncertain.

I'd recommend doing a bit of reading on kindle. These books give a lot of back to basic tips which we've either never been told or have forgotten:

Think Like a Pancreas, Gary Scheiner.

Sugar Surfing, Stephen Ponder

Pumping Insulin, John Walsh

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @misspinky1984

We all get numbers we don't want, I woke to 12 mmol/l this morning despite doing a bolus during the night at 3am when I was 12.9 which I was hoping would bring me into range by morning, it does make me feeling slightly hacked off and it used to make me feel anxious, but I corrected again this morning and ate eggs and bacon so now sit at 5.4. The fact is it happens to all of us, and is a fact of life living with it, but it's how we deal with it that matters, you can either let it go or let it ruin a day, accepting that life is imperfect and despite our best intentions we still get it wrong, we shouldn't take it to heart, it's just a number, learn to let it go and it will help lessen your anxiety.

We simply do our best to manage each day and no one should take anything away from you because of this.

Talk about your feelings though, if your feeling anxious try and understand why, maybe write a diary, lighten your load, tell your team too, your only human they will understand, Scott's recommended some good books, read up and learn more, also try some meditation, get the 'Calm' app on your phone, it's good for zoning out and relaxation.

misspinky1984

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Horrible people
Hi thanks for both your comments I used to have to wake up in middle of the night to give bolus now it’s fine over night except last night woke up to 15.4 not sure why but corrected and now 5.4 I will also have a look at those books, I think your right about being left in the wild when I got the pump there wasn’t much feedback got shown it that Day how to put it in and off I went lol there no course
Or anything but I been on the pump for about a year and finally getting to grips with it with basal rates sorted and now cgm with spike

misspinky1984

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Horrible people
Lol, @misspinky1984 , we meet again!

There's been a recent thread at link below about anxiety over bg testing which is worth a look at.

I think we worry too much about levels, keeping generally in range is good enough, don't sweat the occasional outliers, you're now blinged up with a pump and cgm, so don't sweat it.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...you-are-testing-too-much.164661/#post-2060128

Most of us are just chucked out into the wild with very basic knowledge of how to manage T1, we're not told how to figure out basal rates, ratios etc., so it's no wonder we get anxious and uncertain.

I'd recommend doing a bit of reading on kindle. These books give a lot of back to basic tips which we've either never been told or have forgotten:

Think Like a Pancreas, Gary Scheiner.

Sugar Surfing, Stephen Ponder

Pumping Insulin, John Walsh

misspinky1984

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Horrible people
Hey I’ve just got the sugar surfing book and may get the insulin pump as that would be quite beneficial to me and just downloaded a free one I do like a freebie lol thank you

Reactions: Juicyj

misspinky1984

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Horrible people
Hi @misspinky1984

We all get numbers we don't want, I woke to 12 mmol/l this morning despite doing a bolus during the night at 3am when I was 12.9 which I was hoping would bring me into range by morning, it does make me feeling slightly hacked off and it used to make me feel anxious, but I corrected again this morning and ate eggs and bacon so now sit at 5.4. The fact is it happens to all of us, and is a fact of life living with it, but it's how we deal with it that matters, you can either let it go or let it ruin a day, accepting that life is imperfect and despite our best intentions we still get it wrong, we shouldn't take it to heart, it's just a number, learn to let it go and it will help lessen your anxiety.

We simply do our best to manage each day and no one should take anything away from you because of this.

Talk about your feelings though, if your feeling anxious try and understand why, maybe write a diary, lighten your load, tell your team too, your only human they will understand, Scott's recommended some good books, read up and learn more, also try some meditation, get the 'Calm' app on your phone, it's good for zoning out and relaxation.

misspinky1984

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Horrible people
Hello I have spoken to my team they are aware and are contact with me very helpful and tell me not to worry regarding pump or CGM being taken away from me x

misspinky1984

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Horrible people
Well even tho I worry about readings all the time my Hba1c is 7.0 % so happy with that the best it’s been x

Reactions: Knikki