In the morning in around 5.2 - 5.9

Im just confused surely i should rise more with these kind of items

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You lost 14 stone in 9 months!.. that's amazing well done.
it could well be that your glucose responses are normalising.. although what your readings were before you ate what you did would be more indicative too.
Sounds like you could be in remission ...any recent HbA1c levels?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi There im wondering if these are normal readings as they seem strange,

A penguin will only take me to 6.8-7
a medium portion of spag bol ony takes me to 7.5
3-4 biscuites will only take me to 6.7-7
A meal with Potatoes will only take me to 7.5
a Twix will only take me to 6.8-7.3
2 rounds toast with tuna take me to 7-7.2

there just a few examples i have been diabetic for 9 months
Lost 14 stone and dont take meds do it self carb

MATE ! Congratulations on losing 14st - outstanding. But I think you've pretty much answered your own question - could you be in remission?

Mitch1705

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
MATE ! Congratulations on losing 14st - outstanding. But I think you've pretty much answered your own question - could you be in remission?

Despite my huge weight loss i still tip the scale at 167kg so alot more to lose so I just cant be in remission being so big still?

Reactions: urbanracer

Mitch1705

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You lost 14 stone in 9 months!.. that's amazing well done.
it could well be that your glucose responses are normalising.. although what your readings were before you ate what you did would be more indicative too.
Sounds like you could be in remission ...any recent HbA1c levels?

The last test i had done was in December and that was 6.1 however not had one in last 5 months

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Despite my huge weight loss i still tip the scale at 167kg so alot more to lose so I just cant be in remission being so big still?

I'm guessing you could be, but you'll rapidly regain the weight and the T2 if you go back to "normal" carbs. My recommendation would be to keep up the low carb till you've achieved the weight loss you want, and then be very very careful about reintroducing carbs.

Remember that weight gain is a symptom of T2 and having excess insulin and carbs in your body. Your blood sugars may (or may not) have normalised, but you may still be having to produce excess insulin to cope with carbs.

Having said that, I'm not a T2 or a doctor, so my advice is just based on my (limited) understanding developed mostly through reading these boards. :)

Anyway, whether you're in remission or not, congrats on some awesome results.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Guzzler

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just because we are told that we are really naughty to be so fat and it is a result of that we have been punished by getting diabetes - it doesn't make it true.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
You were 250 kgs @Mitch ??? Are you sure about that?

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin

Lost 14 stone and dont take meds do it self carb, but still overweight,

I'm no expert by any means and have experimented like you finding that a small naughty treat spikes me less than a healthy carby meal. But the way I understand it, unless you are undereating, if you include such treats in your usual diet, your blood glucose will sit at an average that is higher than optimal, eg 7 - 8mmol, rather than 4 - 6mmol. And fasting glucose over 5mmol is suboptimal as well and probably unlikely to improve while you're eating enough carbs to keep your daytime levels a bit elevated. That's how I see it anyway.

Reactions: 1spuds

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Depends on when you are testing to get those readings?

How long after eating those things do you test?

Do you take further tests after the reading post meal or snack?

My take is that those foods are keeping your insulin production and resistance high. Obviously, not a good thing.

On a positive, congrats on the weight loss, way to go!

And.....You'll have to excuse my complete ignorance, but I don't know what a penguin is.... when I first read that, I thought, WHAT!?.... this guy is eating penguins? :D

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm no expert by any means and have experimented like you finding that a small naughty treat spikes me less than a healthy carby meal. But the way I understand it, unless you are undereating, if you include such treats in your usual diet, your blood glucose will sit at an average that is higher than optimal, eg 7 - 8mmol, rather than 4 - 6mmol. And fasting glucose over 5mmol is suboptimal as well and probably unlikely to improve while you're eating enough carbs to keep your daytime levels a bit elevated. That's how I see it anyway.
I try and tell myself that every keto style meal is a step forward but every naughty treat is a step backwards stalling my progress. Give yourself time to wean off the sweets. Try some homemade sweets with an artificial sweetener to slowly move away from sugars and blunt your addiction while satisfying your hunger with fatty meats and vegetables and full fat dairy products. Over time you'll look for sweets less and might even start to see them as a kind of rat poison (that's what I tell myself now anyway). The sweet tooth does subside little by little but you do have to make getting over it a priority for yourself. No one can do that for you.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Severe_Needle_phobia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Been told lies , fake people
Depends on when you are testing to get those readings?

How long after eating those things do you test?

Do you take further tests after the reading post meal or snack?

My take is that those foods are keeping your insulin production and resistance high. Obviously, not a good thing.

On a positive, congrats on the weight loss, way to go!

And.....You'll have to excuse my complete ignorance, but I don't know what a penguin is.... when I first read that, I thought, WHAT!?.... this guy is eating penguins? :D
@Tophat1900
Morning Tophat
Penguin are wrapped chocolate biscuits.
PS that was funny lol .

M

Member496333

First thought, as you’ve lost 14st (amazing by the way unless it’s a typo) and you’re still alive, is that your body may have a remarkable ability to readily convert glucose into fat and store it in adipose tissue. As that ability diminishes (adipocytes become engorged again) you would likely find your tolerance to these foods would suffer. I have no idea if that hypothesis holds any water in your case, but I believe it’s logically sound at least.

Personally I would caution against overconfidence, but your choices of food are yours to make.

Reactions: KookieMunchster
M

Member496333

mcvitiespenguin.jpg

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

Think of it as an extra large tim tam, individually wrapped.... (Speaking as someone who spent her first 37 years in the UK, next 18 in Australia, and last 2 in NZ).
(And I will never think that vegemite is better than marmite! :))

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, amazing weight loss and sounds like you’re knocking type 2 into touch.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Think of it as an extra large tim tam, individually wrapped.... (Speaking as someone who spent her first 37 years in the UK, next 18 in Australia, and last 2 in NZ).
(And I will never think that vegemite is better than marmite! :))
Penguins aren't as nice as tim tams. But both are off my menu. Also, I've changed and prefer Marmite to vegemite as it tastes less salty.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting

Lost 14 stone and dont take meds do it self carb, but still overweight,

Congratulations on the weight less. What a huge achievement. Are these readings 2 hours after eating? If they are, then they come in below the usual recommended 7.8 mmol/l two hours after a meal. There are a number of comments suggesting that they themselves would prefer to be lower than this, to make sure they're not on a slippery slope back to higher blood sugars. I would include myself here.