What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Viv19

Finally! Today. Bed 6.8 FBG also 6.8 Sunday - Edinburgh Marathon day and we live across from the Finish! Still had to get the boys to swimming lessons so picked them up earlier than usual as they are at one end of the finish - we are at the other. On marathon day a five minute journey takes 1 hour. So it's a case of resident pass on the car and join the fray. Our streets are barricaded to stop the resident parking being used by relatives etc. No pass - no entry. There were a few rows the 1st year when residents couldn't get into our own parking areas.
B. TAG with ADOC and 2 slices of bread and butter. Yep you saw that right. Yesterday I cooked a loaf after taxi service. Oh wow, it looks like bread, it tastes like bread and it's crusty. Even better 0.4 g carbs per slice. Reason it's so good is it has yeast and vital wheat gluten in it. It was wonderful to be proving bread again and the aroma!
I got it from My Diet Shop (same place as I buy Monkfruit sweetener).
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw3aaInIz6jpn9IXTZDJAsDa
Their site is down for maintenance until 7 June but this bread is seriously good.
L. Nothing - I was working my way back and forward through Marathon traffic to swimming and back. Boys passed the time picking out finishers.
D. Will be usual campari and soda. Beef stroganoff (Rick Stein recipe) and veggie chips (Hubby has matchstick chips). Wee prosecco and probably another slice of that Skinny Bread.
Later raspberries and halo top.
@Viv19 - don't give up on pies yet. It's another work in progress. My last attempt at low carb pastry didn't rise enough but it tasted like pastry and that's progress. Next attempt I'll go back to traditional methods.
@Chook like you I miss fruit. I'm happy with berries but I miss melon, pineapple, peaches etc. I'll have tiny bits occasionally but very tiny. My other miss is just being able to have a scotch pie or pie generally hence my mission for perfect LC pastry. If I crack it then it opens the door on many of my old favourites.
@ianpspurs - I guess I'm one of the happy clappy people with LC. I've always enjoyed cooking and learning in a restaurant made it easy for me to adapt and experiment. I've had a few disasters as well but I just wish I'd discovered this way of eating years ago. At least now I can look at a recipe and see what needs to be replaced. And I'm overjoyed with this Skinny Bread.

I’ll hang onto the pie maker then. Just as well. No family peeps seem interested!

Viv19

I have a large bag of powdered dried eggs.

I was using them to make omelettes, but my dedicated omelette maker decided to give up the ghost. I wasn’t wasting money on another one.

As far as cooking goes the electric stove packed in years ago, and so I went over to cooking in the microwave.

I do have a tiny instant pot (called Perfect Cooker).

My kitchen is smaller than a ship’s galley so I don’t have room for a pile of appliances. And unless they have timer and automatically turn off when cooked I am not interested. Because stuff has been known to go on fire because I totally forget I am cooking.

So the only thing I can safely cook in is the microwave, but I did wonder the other day what on Earth was the shrivelled up item in it.

I rarely feel hungry so I forget I’ve put food on to cook.

Anyway, the point is I have this bag of powdered eggs, and my attempt this morning to make scrambled eggs with it in the microwave ended up being a rubber mat...inedible...

Does anyone have any idea what or how I can use these scrambled eggs up?

Or do I bin them?

>^..^<

https://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Mayonnaise-with-Powdered-Eggs/

Homemade mayonnaise Gennepher?

Amazon have an induction cooking plate that will turn itself off after 5 minutes. Not too expensive at £33.74, free delivery.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-IH201840-Everyday-Induction-Ceramic/dp/B00ER445UQ
As for pots/frying pan to use on it, if a magnet sticks to the pan then it will work on induction. The useful thing is that it doesn’t stay hot either.

Last edited:

Viv19

Actually, no I don't! I ate far too much of it over this afternoon. It's a good thing I put real sugar buttercream on half of it for other folks or I'd be on track for eating it three meals a day until it was gone. I can only do this sweets stuff rarely, or I'll eat it all. At once. I got lucky with my gluttony today though-- when I was finally able to test, bg was 5.4, which surprised and pleased me.
MrZF can be handed a tin of hot-from-the-oven choc chip cookies, and eat 2 cookies a day until they're gone. He has a totally different food personality than I do!

I know this careful personality from my parents. My mother had diabetes, which I thought was totally unfair as she was the most moderate person with sweet stuff I’ve ever met. Dad too. One square of chocolate, or 1 chocolate a day from the box, if any happened to be in the house. Never more than 1 or two very modest biscuit(s) with morning coffee. Smallish portions. Learnt in their childhood during the war I imagine. The diabetes genes have a lot to answer for.
I on the other hand .......

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
https://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Mayonnaise-with-Powdered-Eggs/

Homemade mayonnaise Gennepher?

Amazon have an induction cooking plate that will turn itself off after 5 minutes. Not too expensive at £33.74, free delivery.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-IH201840-Everyday-Induction-Ceramic/dp/B00ER445UQ
As for pots/frying pan to use on it, if a magnet sticks to the pan then it will work on induction. The useful thing is that it doesn’t stay hot either.

Thank you very much.
The mayonnaise looks good, and I have all those ingredients in the cupboard.

Just looked up the induction hob. It seems a brilliant idea, and turning off after 5 minutes. Perfect. But then I remembered I had bought an induction hob, last year. I had to get rid of it, because audiology reminded me to read the Cochlear Implant guidelines, which says,

“Induction cookers
If a (Cochlear) speech processor is within 50cm of the cooking surface it can heat up, so extra care should be taken by adults using body worn speech processors on a belt, and children. Users will hear a clicking sound (in the Cochlear speech processor) when close to the cooker and may prefer to remove the processor to avoid it heating up.”

Audiology also specifically said the induction hob had the potential to corrupt the mapping program in the Cochlear speech processor.

So, I am not able to use an induction cooker. Unfortunately. It would have been a good idea for me.

I am profoundly deaf and have a magnet (and wires) in my head because I have had a Cochlear Implant, and the external speech processor which is where my speech mapping programs are held.

Thank you for trying.
I will have a look on Amazon to see if there is anything else with a timer.

>^..^<

Viv19

Thank you very much.
The mayonnaise looks good, and I have all those ingredients in the cupboard.

Just looked up the induction hob. It seems a brilliant idea, and turning off after 5 minutes. Perfect. But then I remembered I had bought an induction hob, last year. I had to get rid of it, because audiology reminded me to read the Cochlear Implant guidelines, which says,

“Induction cookers
If a (Cochlear) speech processor is within 50cm of the cooking surface it can heat up, so extra care should be taken by adults using body worn speech processors on a belt, and children. Users will hear a clicking sound (in the Cochlear speech processor) when close to the cooker and may prefer to remove the processor to avoid it heating up.”

Audiology also specifically said the induction hob had the potential to corrupt the mapping program in the Cochlear speech processor.

So, I am not able to use an induction cooker. Unfortunately. It would have been a good idea for me.

I am profoundly deaf and have a magnet (and wires) in my head because I have had a Cochlear Implant, and the external speech processor which is where my speech mapping programs are held.

Thank you for trying.
I will have a look on Amazon to see if there is anything else with a timer.

>^..^<

Good heavens. I had no idea. I’m learning something new every day it seems!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electric-Ceramic-Controls-Cooktop-Protection/dp/B07LCLC7TS

This has an overheat turn off switch. More expensive at £62.99.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chook and gennepher

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher

A slow cooker might give you some more options. I have this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Morphy-Richards-Ceramic-460251-Slowcooker/dp/B071NB2T2W

And use one of these timers so I can set start and end times for the cooking (great as timer can be set to come on v early when still in bed, or a bit later after I’ve left for work).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Masterplug-TES7-Day-Electronic-Timer/dp/B004I5BQA6
I had no idea you could buy timers for something like that slow cooker you mention.
I will check that out.
Thank you very much.
>^..^<

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had no idea you could buy timers for something like that slow cooker you mention.
I will check that out.
Thank you very much.
>^..^<

Gennepher, you can add a time switch to anything you plug in. They are available from just a couple of pounds, to very sophisticated, with the ability to manage over the internet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=timer+...2353&tag=googhydr-21&ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank

We have Wemo switches, meaning we can do things like reboot our router or TV box, when we're overseas and streaming our content to wherever we are.

Obviously the simple ones are ideal when you're around and about at home. If you want something to slow cook for 4 hours, just have to timer set for 4 or 4.5 hours ahead. In that instance, the simpler the better.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gennepher, you can add a time switch to anything you plug in. They are available from just a couple of pounds, to very sophisticated, with the ability to manage over the internet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=timer+...2353&tag=googhydr-21&ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank

We have Wemo switches, meaning we can do things like reboot our router or TV box, when we're overseas and streaming our content to wherever we are.

Obviously the simple ones are ideal when you're around and about at home. If you want something to slow cook for 4 hours, just have to timer set for 4 or 4.5 hours ahead. In that instance, the simpler the better.

That opens a whole pile of possibilities then. I hadn’t realised to add a time switch to a cooking appliance, I suppose it’s obvious really since (say) a microwave has a time switch built in. But I didn’t put the two together.

I will go through that Amazon time switch list to see what could suit my needs. And work from there...
Thank you
>^..^<

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That opens a whole pile of possibilities then. I hadn’t realised to add a time switch to a cooking appliance, I suppose it’s obvious really since (say) a microwave has a time switch built in. But I didn’t put the two together.

I will go through that Amazon time switch list to see what could suit my needs. And work from there...
Thank you
>^..^<

All the timer switch does is switch off the power. It's a very simply concept. There's usually an override switch on the timer so that it can be left in the socket, even when not in use.

Places like B&Q, Wilko also have them, starting under £3.

Reactions: gennepher

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Oh no! On this lovely day perfect for sitting out in the garden and my next door neighbour has purchased yet another clapped out old motorbike from eBay to do up and sell. Doing up seems to involve letting it run for hours at a time with intermittent revving up. We couldn't sit out because of the noise and smell so we went out to investigate the new shops in the next village and accidentally bought a new table and chairs for the garden.

So, today's food

Breakfast: boiled eggs and Livlife soldiers

Lunch: huge Costa coffee with little jugs of cream, one forkful of Mr C's coffee gateau (naughty)

Dinner: roast chicken, pork sausagemeat stuffing balls, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, few carrots, a couple of bits of parsnip - some h/m s/f cranberry sauce and gravy

Dessert: fresh strawberries and maybe a square or two of choc

Drinks: Costa coffee, black decaff coffee, spring water (bottled), glass of Prosecco (to celebrate neighbours' new motorbike), red wine
Hey Chook .... where do you get the LivLife bread from? I live on Newcastle and can't get it in Waitrose or anywhere else. Also, SF cranberry sauce?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hey Chook .... where do you get the LivLife bread from? I live on Newcastle and can't get it in Waitrose or anywhere else. Also, SF cranberry sauce?

I get the Livlife bread in a Waitrose near Hull.

I made the sugar free cranberry sauce at Christmas when the cranberries were in season. I made load a of it and froze it in portions.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Today's menu...

Breakfast: 2 egg mayo (using Hellmans) on crackerbread

Lunch: probably nothing

Dinner: lamb rump steak, olive, feta, tomato olive oil and fresh herbs salad, lettuce

Dessert: fresh strawberries (if they are still okay - bought them on Saturday)

Drinks: black decaff coffee, still spring water

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 and @DJC3 Boob cheese????? The "censor" lets us say that???
@gennepher how about trying the rubber eggs again, use cream or milk if you can, and nuke very slowly on a low temp, in a deepish bowl, stirring every 30 seconds? Even cooking regular eggs in microwave is pretty touch and go for me.
Well, used up my time for tonight. It's play here or sleep. Sleep wins. Goodnight all you good folk! I'll catch up when I retire.
Yep - queso queso tetilla. I couldn't find @DJC3 original photo (which also failed to remove Peter Parker from the front page!) So found another one. Pretty obvious where it's name came from. @DJC3 found it first then when I saw it in Lidl I had to have one!
@Tipetoo - meant to say yesterday you cannot beat an Australian seafood platter. Have had many in the clubs but the one that sticks in memory was in Woy Woy - wooden building, wooden benches on the side of the lower reaches of Brisbane Water, loads of pelicans and seafood simply done but fabulous!
imagen.jpeg.jpg

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Afternoon everyone! I ran out of time yesterday, after getting carried away with a sewing project. As a result, my plans for roast chicken were superseded by the quicker option of high % pork sausages and cauliflower mash with greens and mushrooms gravy. We decided to have the chicken today as a late lunch, so no opportunity for coronation chicken experimention yet. We're off for a walk soon. No plans for a proper meal this evening, but we might have one of *those* cookies and a CWC later on.

B: Vanilla chia pudding with LC Nutella. Black coffee.
Mid morning: Almond milk cappuccino with cream
Lunch: Roast chicken, pig in blanket, cauli and broccoli cheese, roast celeriac, wilted spinach, 1 small Yorkshire, gravy (not thickened, just reduced down pan juices with a splash of wine.
Now: CWC
Later: TBC.......

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep - queso queso tetilla. I couldn't find @DJC3 original photo (which also failed to remove Peter Parker from the front page!) So found another one. Pretty obvious where it's name came from. @DJC3 found it first then when I saw it in Lidl I had to have one!
@Tipetoo - meant to say yesterday you cannot beat an Australian seafood platter. Have had many in the clubs but the one that sticks in memory was in Woy Woy - wooden building, wooden benches on the side of the lower reaches of Brisbane Water, loads of pelicans and seafood simply done but fabulous! View attachment 33184
I'm going to have to seek that cheese out, for comedic reasons if nothing else!

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today I have had not a lot to eat.
I woke up in middle of night as though run over by a herd of elephants.
All my joints hurt symmetrically. But it also felt like a severe attack of fibromyalgia.
Pain killers, iboprofen, and cuppa tea eased it off somewhat. But then it flared up again.

I managed some cold boiled eggs this morning with slices of cheese.

Six hours later i am thinking i need something, so managed with crispbread and butter, and some tinned chicken in sauce on them..

That was it for the day.

I am fighting something with an ombudsman helping.
But I can fully see why these things are near impossible.i have a friend helping as well.

My brain has atrophied with all these shenanigans today.

Take care x

>^..^<