Type 1 Type 1 and braces

blacknjr

Hello
i had my braces put on last wednesday , everything was fine till today i think i had gingivitis , since i never had problems with my teeth and gums i’m kinda worry about it + and my numbers are not in range what should i do
:( ? What’s your experience with braces

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello
i had my braces put on last wednesday , everything was fine till today i think i had gingivitis , since i never had problems with my teeth and gums i’m kinda worry about it + and my numbers are not in range what should i do
Hello, welcome!
If your dentist can refer you to see a hygienist asap to work along side your orthodontist can help minimise the build up of plaque and further pocketing of the gums. For example you see your hygienist every month if possible while you wait about 6 weeks for brace tightening? It was that routine I had when I had ortho treatment and it was successful a long with good control. Dentist and hygienist was happy.
Also, I will highlight that your diabetes needs to be in control - not perfect but not high, because high BG likes to feed on sugar and bacteria which leads to gum disease.

High BG and braces will aggravate your gums and will lead to more bone loss and eventually your teeth will be mobile. (your teeth are already mobile from the brace, so bad control can contribute to further movement of the teeth)

I will also like to note that I'm hoping you are not brushing too hard or doing anything that aggravates your gums, I know braces makes it more difficult to brush your teeth. There are soft bristle brushes and floss with stiff ends for people with ortho/bridge/implant work to help you get right into cleaning in-between your gum line.

Last edited:
Reactions: blacknjr

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hello

Phone your dentist and get an urgent appointment to have the situation checked out. Might just be the braces making your gums sore but better safe than sorry.

Reactions: blacknjr

blacknjr

Hello, welcome!
If your dentist can refer you to see a hygienist asap to work along side your orthodontist can help minimise the build up of plaque and further pocketing of the gums. For example you see your hygienist every month if possible while you wait about 6 weeks for brace tightening? It was that routine I had when I had ortho treatment and it was successful a long with good control. Dentist and hygienist was happy.
Also, I will highlight that your diabetes needs to be in control - not perfect but not high, because high BG likes to feed on sugar and bacteria which leads to gum disease.

High BG and braces will aggravate your gums and will lead to more bone loss and eventually your teeth will be mobile. (your teeth are already mobile from the brace, so bad control can contribute to further movement of the teeth)

I will also like to note that I'm hoping you are not brushing too hard or doing anything that aggravates your gums, I know braces makes it more difficult to brush your teeth. There are soft bristle brushes and floss with stiff ends for people with ortho/bridge/implant work to help you get right into cleaning in-between your gum line.

I’ll go to my dentist tomorrow! And thanks for your reply it’s really helpful