help- threw up? How to deal with it.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
So I just threw up and it’s red not green/yellow. (the only thing I ate last night that was red was tomatoes and grapes. My mum keeps blaming my diabeties. I have been stressed with loads of incidents happening in town and therefor not been testing very often (as when I get stressed I don’t test it’s my way of self harming.) I also did a lot of exercise yesterday. What am I supposed to be because it’s tricky controlling diabeties when I’m sick and high (I did do insulin to bring my blood sugar down)

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would at least test your blood sugar as soon as possible, thats the only way you can get appropriate help if you call NHS 111 or your diabetes team. (they will also tell you to test) and if you have ketone strips, test if you have ketones and if high level of ketones are present, you'll need someone to take you to A&E. Once you get better, maybe you can seek for mental health help, there are therapists tailored towards people with diabetes and long term health conditions.

Vomit could also be a sign of DKA or something else, it'll be ruled out if you test your BG.

Reactions: WuTwo and Knikki

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lulu9101112 ,

It's never good when these situations arise with stomach probs.
There's certainly great advice from the other guys posting. 111 would help if you're having BG issues. (They will even dispatch an ambulance if need be.?)
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetic-ketoacidosis/

Are you able to hold fluids down?

We dont need to harp on regarding BG testing. & blood sugars can be tricky when feeling ill.
But knowing where you are with your blood will at least reveal what might be going on..

All the best.

Reactions: 1spuds

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @Lulu9101112 ,

Thanks

It's never good when these situations arise with stomach probs.
There's certainly great advice from the other guys posting. 111 would help if you're having BG issues. (They will even dispatch an ambulance if need be.?)
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetic-ketoacidosis/

Are you able to hold fluids down?

We dont need to harp on regarding BG testing. & blood sugars can be tricky when feeling ill.
But knowing where you are with your blood will at least reveal what might be going on..

All the best.
At the moment I can hold down water. I (but I was only able to after I checked my blood and did insulin and glagine (as I didn’t do either yesterday ) and then I fell back to sleep and when I woke up I felt better just with a headache. Well for now.

I don’t want to end up in hospital and my mum doesn’t either due to a holiday within 3 months and that would mean I wouldn’t be able to go due to insurance being invalid. Also what’s 111?
Also I can’t test for ketons as that’s the one thing we forgot when we moved houses and old one doesn’t work (my mums order another one this week)

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At the moment I can hold down water. I (but I was only able to after I checked my blood and did insulin and glagine (as I didn’t do either yesterday ) and then I fell back to sleep and when I woke up I felt better just with a headache. Well for now.

I don’t want to end up in hospital and my mum doesn’t either due to a holiday within 3 months and that would mean I wouldn’t be able to go due to insurance being invalid. Also what’s 111?
Also I can’t test for ketons as that’s the one thing we forgot when we moved houses and old one doesn’t work (my mums order another one this week)
If you're in the UK and you can't get to the doctor, NHS111 is a helpline to get help from doctors or advice if you're unwell. What are your readings like at the moment? No one wants to be in hospital but if you're unwell or if your BG is running high for a considerable amount of time, that could make you feel more rubbish and it needs urgent medical attention. You can get ketone urine strips from the pharmacy and also get blood ketone strips on prescription if you ask your doctor.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

111? https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-services/urgent-and-emergency-care/nhs-111/

If you can rehydrate? That's a bonus. However, your health is paramount.

If you did your Glargine this morning instead of last night, (especially at your advised dose.) it would be wise change back to your "normal" basal time in increments? You don't want to overlap the dose..
Please keep testing.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
111? https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-services/urgent-and-emergency-care/nhs-111/

If you can rehydrate? That's a bonus. However, your health is paramount.

If you did your Glargine this morning instead of last night, (especially at your advised dose.) it would be wise change back to your "normal" basal time in increments? You don't want to overlap the dose..
Please keep testing.
Ok
Hi @Lulu9101112

What's your last BG reading ?
Last time I checked 17.3

Ps I have stopped throwing up for now..

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hello @Lulu9101112 Have you take a a correction for this ?

It's vital to check ketones when running this high, as others have said calling 111 and getting advice is important too, have you done this yet ?

D

Deleted Account

Hello @Lulu9101112 Here are DAFNE sick day rules, it's important as soon as you can to get a ketone testing kit/strips..
I had no ketone testing until I had a pump.
When my bg went high, I tested and corrected.
Perhaps ketone testing is more essential for someone prone to staying high but for me I do not consider it essential.
For @Lulu9101112 (great avatar), getting into the habit of testing bg and dosing insulin is probably enough to consider when she is currently struggling.
Lulu, if you are struggling mentally to cope, I recommend talking to someone (your GP, diabetes team or someone else) and getting some help.
Look after yourself. You have a great life ahead of you.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@helensaramay You might not consider it essential to have a ketone testing kit as you are so well controlled but if your not taking insulin correctly and testing regularly then you run the risk of ketoacidosis which puts your life at risk, so having the means to test ketones and decide if hospital is the best place to be is very important.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Glad to hear it @Lulu9101112 - hopefully it's passed now and your feeling better ?

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Glad to hear it @Lulu9101112 - hopefully it's passed now and your feeling better ?
Thanks. I am slowly feeling better just mostly tired (now its back to 5.7) Been eating a bit less with meals with doing right amount of insulin then ussuall since it Irritates my throat. I suppose this is normal? But can defiently keep drinks down.
On the positive side at least I don’t have work due to bank holiday.

Reactions: Juicyj

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brilliant news @Lulu9101112 , :)

Just be wary if you have given your basal late from yesterday, that you don't overlap it with your next dose at the "usual time" today.?

Please keep an eye with the BGs.
Thanks and will do

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I feel normal now it’s another day. a little tired but don’t know if I should go to work or not (due to yesterday)?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
When did you last throw up? If you’ve been clear for a while and bloods in range then you should be OK to work. Really depends on how you are feeling though.