urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Despite my huge weight loss i still tip the scale at 167kg so alot more to lose so I just cant be in remission being so big still?

Well I am no expert but I would have thought that losing almost half your body mass is going to have a significant effect on your metabolism even if you still have a little more to lose.

All you can do is keep testing and if you're off the meds then it has to be a good thing?

Reactions: Brunneria

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Think of it as an extra large tim tam, individually wrapped.... (Speaking as someone who spent her first 37 years in the UK, next 18 in Australia, and last 2 in NZ).
(And I will never think that vegemite is better than marmite! :))

Thank you, @Severe_Needle_phobia for that description.

Right, thank you all for the information on what a Penguin is.... my fears are laid to rest.

Thank you @Jim Lahey for the visual.

@EllieM for the description.
Ps. I do like vegemite, but it seems to of fallen off my menu quite some time ago. Have not tried the marmite stuff yet, might have to give it go.

Carry on all, back to your regular programs.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mitch1705 - That is a staggering weight loss. That's almost two of me! I bet you feel very different.

Who helps you look after your diabetes? Are you cared for by your GP or at a hospital clinic?

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
@EllieM for the description.
Ps. I do like vegemite, but it seems to of fallen off my menu quite some time ago. Have not tried the marmite stuff yet, might have to give it go.

Carry on all, back to your regular programs.[/QUOTE]
We are programmed to like one or the other I think. Once you've been conditioned to like Vegemite, it's hard to stomach Marmite. That was my experience anyway.

M

Member496333

I used to be a massive Marmite muncher but, with no glucose (toast, crackers etc.) to spread it on, it’s now a distant memory.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I used to be a massive Marmite muncher but, with no glucose (toast, crackers etc.) to spread it on, it’s now a distant memory.

I used to eat vegemite off the spoon.... or spread on cheddar cheese. That's right, you read that correctly!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

If you are making a gravy, sauce or whatever, Marmite can be used like a seasoning. A little in cooked tomatoes works well.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mitch1705 - to your remark about remission whilst still carrying a goodly amount of additional weight, it can happen.

Whilst those carrying weight have a greater risk of developing T2, not all overwight people do. And not all very overweight people do.

Professor Taylor talks about a personal fat threshold, which in his context, is the level of visceral in each individual tipping them over into a T2 state. Nobody knows what their own, or anyone elses personal fat threshold is, or when we cross it in either direction.

I would urge you to continue on your journey as T2 isn't the only thing potentially improved by trimming up. Even if we just think as simply as the strain on joints, mobility in many cases a huge boost in self-esteem.

A massive well done from me. You should be shouting your story from the rooftops!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
If you are making a gravy, sauce or whatever, Marmite can be used like a seasoning. A little in cooked tomatoes works well.

Vegemite gets used in gravy too. Adds a bit of flavour to it.

I did experiment with attempting to make a coffee flavoured gravy, but it was a disaster.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Vegemite gets used in gravy too. Adds a bit of flavour to it.

I did experiment with attempting to make a coffee flavoured gravy, but it was a disaster.

I get it Tophat, but let's keep the thread on topic. I get I have been part of the deflection, but let's concentrate on the main issue please, everyone.

M

Member496333

My understanding is that the fat ‘threshold’ is pretty much that where you run out of space in however many adipocytes you may have, and the liver then has nowhere else to put the glucose. Hence TOFI don’t get fat but still get resistant diabetes very easily, and often really struggle to return any level on insulin sensitivity.

As the OP has previously been very much obese, we can reasonably conclude that there are plenty of spare fat cells ready to take-up any converted glucose. If anything, diabetes remission might be easier than would otherwise be the case. Subcutaneous fat is protective against diabetes, not a cause of it.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
@Mitch1705 - to your remark about remission whilst still carrying a goodly amount of additional weight, it can happen.

Whilst those carrying weight have a greater risk of developing T2, not all overwight people do. And not all very overweight people do.

Professor Taylor talks about a personal fat threshold, which in his context, is the level of visceral in each individual tipping them over into a T2 state. Nobody knows what their own, or anyone elses personal fat threshold is, or when we cross it in either direction.

I would urge you to continue on your journey as T2 isn't the only thing potentially improved by trimming up. Even if we just think as simply as the strain on joints, mobility in many cases a huge boost in self-esteem.

A massive well done from me. You should be shouting your story from the rooftops!

Just to touch on the fat thresh hold, being lean seems to mean you breach that thresh hold much quicker. Which is my situation. I have never had the capacity to store much in the way of fat no matter what I ate or how much I ate and no one would say I was ever fat, but being lean it was easy to hide it and wander around with a fatty liver and not even know it.