Yogurts

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Be aware of low-fat yogurts as most of them contain extra sugar to make them pallitable ;)
Low carb is the way to go ;)

Reactions: Freema

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks it is driving me mad i am scared to eat anything with carbs.is porridge okay
Ok that's where i was week 1,2.3.4.5.6..until i got here.

disgraceful you've left with not enough knowledge of the Basics, from so called professionals.

Does to me indicate with the metformin it's more likely T2D, but you NEED this sorted ASAP.
calls Doctors TODAY, please...INSIST on a call back, then INSIST on knowing your status as Type One or Type 2.

Type 2 you could probably drift along and sort your diet quite well just from on here, but Type ONE,
demands More attention from your Doctors to avoid serious harm, if you are unaware.of how to treat.

That said...i would say it is more likely type 2..so with that in mind...

simple rule of thumb until doctors confirm TODAY your true status.

CARBS..it's the ONLY thing i now check on any food labels.
5g per 100..or under..fine to eat.
5-10g...i um and ahh, about IF it's worth it regarding taste, filling me up etc.
OVER 10g back on the shelf, and avoid.

So that eliminates nearly all the prepacked meals on supermarket shelves..Just for now, until your more aware.,
then you can decide for yourself the limits of your carb control.

that now leaves us with sadly only REAL food....:D

You know meat..that is just meat.
Vegetables that mum MADE us eat..all the above ground things like cabbage, spinach, cauliflower.
LESS fruit then before..so NO bananas, pears, apples, pineapples, BUT ok to have berries, strawberries, raspberries. blueberries.
Great on greek yogurt..a powerful energy boost for breakfast or a tasty desert..you decide.

And wonder of wonders..a FULL ENGLISH BREAKFAST..praise the lord.as posted above.
But no bread..:sorry:
No grains...NO cereal, NO porridge.. for now at least.
yes i thought all the 'healthy ' foods where just that..NOT anymore.
Now i know they are toxic to me.

so eggs bacon, heck sausages (90% meat.)..mushrooms, tomatoes.

best advice after you get off the phone to doctors.
Forget what you KNEW.
eat when your hungry, but don't be fooled by hunger pains..glass of water and wait 30 mins then check again if your still hungry..if yes..then eat.

ME...my day starts with 2 brazil nuts..maybe some yoghurt n berries.
a rolled up piece of meat (ham) with a slice of cheese inside it..think sandwiches with out the bread.
for lunch..then a cooked meal at night steak/chicken/salad/veggies/berries and double cream for pudding

for take away foods if your at work etc.
anywhere that does grilled chicken (Chicken cottage, not kentucky sadly.)
NO chips, no pitta..
Subways do a good Salad bowl.

I also have Biltong in my fridge now along with most of the deli counter meats at one time or another.
Cheeses..hard cream cows goats..like a large portion of those now.

I sounds daunting, but i can honestly say now, that i eat better, stay full longer, rarely go hungry unless i want to
extend a fast.
in fact my missus was shocked how MUCH i ate ..and all of it 'Unhealthy' in her eyes..
(and mine after years of being brainwashed about GOOD :rolleyes: foods.)
and i still lost close on 4 stone.:D

My blood work back from doctors had ALL improved on this diet..For ME.

But as i said at the beginning..YOU really need to know what Type you are,
before you can even begin to start taking the treatment in a serious fashion.

All the people on here are super helpful with regard to what you can/ cant eat and those little treats you COULD probably eat.

So do keep checking in and asking questions.

A long post, but i hope it helps.

Ps.... MAKE that call today.:)
YOUR health IS important.
YOU need to KNOW.
YOUR worth IT..:happy:

Good luck.

Reactions: Freema and Viv19

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok that's where i was week 1,2.3.4.5.6..until i got here.

disgraceful you've left with not enough knowledge of the Basics, from so called professionals.

Does to me indicate with the metformin it's more likely T2D, but you NEED this sorted ASAP.
calls Doctors TODAY, please...INSIST on a call back, then INSIST on knowing your status as Type One or Type 2.

Type 2 you could probably drift along and sort your diet quite well just from on here, but Type ONE,
demands More attention from your Doctors to avoid serious harm, if you are unaware.of how to treat.

That said...i would say it is more likely type 2..so with that in mind...

simple rule of thumb until doctors confirm TODAY your true status.

CARBS..it's the ONLY thing i now check on any food labels.
5g per 100..or under..fine to eat.
5-10g...i um and ahh, about IF it's worth it regarding taste, filling me up etc.
OVER 10g back on the shelf, and avoid.

So that eliminates nearly all the prepacked meals on supermarket shelves..Just for now, until your more aware.,
then you can decide for yourself the limits of your carb control.

that now leaves us with sadly only REAL food....:D

You know meat..that is just meat.
Vegetables that mum MADE us eat..all the above ground things like cabbage, spinach, cauliflower.
LESS fruit then before..so NO bananas, pears, apples, pineapples, BUT ok to have berries, strawberries, raspberries. blueberries.
Great on greek yogurt..a powerful energy boost for breakfast or a tasty desert..you decide.

And wonder of wonders..a FULL ENGLISH BREAKFAST..praise the lord.as posted above.
But no bread..:sorry:
No grains...NO cereal, NO porridge.. for now at least.
yes i thought all the 'healthy ' foods where just that..NOT anymore.
Now i know they are toxic to me.

so eggs bacon, heck sausages (90% meat.)..mushrooms, tomatoes.

best advice after you get off the phone to doctors.
Forget what you KNEW.
eat when your hungry, but don't be fooled by hunger pains..glass of water and wait 30 mins then check again if your still hungry..if yes..then eat.

ME...my day starts with 2 brazil nuts..maybe some yoghurt n berries.
a rolled up piece of meat (ham) with a slice of cheese inside it..think sandwiches with out the bread.
for lunch..then a cooked meal at night steak/chicken/salad/veggies/berries and double cream for pudding

for take away foods if your at work etc.
anywhere that does grilled chicken (Chicken cottage, not kentucky sadly.)
NO chips, no pitta..
Subways do a good Salad bowl.

I also have Biltong in my fridge now along with most of the deli counter meats at one time or another.
Cheeses..hard cream cows goats..like a large portion of those now.

I sounds daunting, but i can honestly say now, that i eat better, stay full longer, rarely go hungry unless i want to
extend a fast.
in fact my missus was shocked how MUCH i ate ..and all of it 'Unhealthy' in her eyes..
(and mine after years of being brainwashed about GOOD :rolleyes: foods.)
and i still lost close on 4 stone.:D

My blood work back from doctors had ALL improved on this diet..For ME.

But as i said at the beginning..YOU really need to know what Type you are,
before you can even begin to start taking the treatment in a serious fashion.

All the people on here are super helpful with regard to what you can/ cant eat and those little treats you COULD probably eat.

So do keep checking in and asking questions.

A long post, but i hope it helps.

Ps.... MAKE that call today.:)
YOUR health IS important.
YOU need to KNOW.
YOUR worth IT..:happy:

Good luck.
@Mini24. That’s a really helpful post from jjraak.

Essentially that is what I do. It is tough going at first, the practicality of it that is, but the good results from a strict diet change help to drive you along

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I’ve just tried plain yoghurt and it’s revolting compared to flavoured ones!!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it does take a little getting used to, if your used to sugars..
but i found a splash of strawberries/blueberries/raspberries made all the difference.
i like the sainsbury's/ tescos ones, but my fav is the lidl one..they do a 4 small,pots pack,
now that i can eat on it's own...very delicious.
try other brands maybe and throw in a few berries.

or try fage.
a little thicker and less bitter i thought
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/all-yogurt/total-0%-fat-greek-yogurt-170g

truth is, i got used to the full feeling of greek yoghurt, not the taste at first,

but one time i added blueberries, had to run (at my age :***:) to the station,
and i truly believe the yoghurt & berries mix, was like rocket fuel
i actually caught the earlier train rather then the one later that i was actually racing not too miss.

well impressed.

so worth persevering with imho.

Last edited:

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Toss in some frozen blackberries/raspberries,stir em around.....its gourmet IMO and I was an ice cream lover.

Reactions: Viv19

Viv19

Was it the thick style Greek yoghurt? I make my own lactose free yoghurt and strain it to thicken it. My favorite dessert - take some frozen raspberries, defrost in microwave (1.40 mins at 400), add about 40 gms of fresh blueberries (a few go a long way) then dollop on your thick creamy yoghurt. I’ve always been unable to resist ice cream in my pre-T2 lifetime , but this is as good. Your palate will get used to less sweet.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s called The Collective, they’re very thick and creamy. I like the one they do with fudge but not plain yogurt!
Unfortunately the fudge one is 15% carbs. Worth trying some other brands and adding some berries as others have said. I usually have the Sainsbury's or Waitrose own brand "Greek Style Natural Yoghurt" but be careful not to get the low fat versions. Many people, including me, have found they lose their taste for sweet things as they get used to a low carb diet. I now have yoghurt on its own as I like the sharp taste.

Reactions: 1spuds

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Unfortunately the fudge one is 15% carbs. Worth trying some other brands and adding some berries as others have said. I usually have the Sainsbury's or Waitrose own brand "Greek Style Natural Yoghurt" but be careful not to get the low fat versions. Many people, including me, have found they lose their taste for sweet things as they get used to a low carb diet. I now have yoghurt on its own as I like the sharp taste.
Thanks but plain yogurt is not for me, from the berry family I only like strawberry’s.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I started with greek yogurt and raspberries with a little truvia (I use stevia based sweeteners if needed), or just raspberries with double cream. And a cube of cheddar if I felt hungry or was craving sugar. I have a couple of squares of 85% chocolate, having moved from milk to 70% to 85%. If that isn't enough then there are recipes here for flour-free, sugar free cakes and deserts and for almond flour or coconut flour breads - I just use ground almonds instead of the flour as it's cheaper.
And cauliflower 'rice' is much better than I expected - you can buy frozen packs or make your own.

Reactions: jjraak and 1spuds

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Be aware of low-fat yogurts as most of them contain extra sugar to make them pallitable ;)
Low carb is the way to go ;)
I have a question.Im eating Chobani plain Greek,low fat.It doesnt have any sugar added,but is half the calories of high fat.Im thinking Im getting plenty fat elsewhere and can skip the double calories with this.Its been great on my glucose.Is there any special reason I should be eating the high fat version?
Thanks.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a question.Im eating Chobani plain Greek,low fat.It doesnt have any sugar added,but is half the calories of high fat.Im thinking Im getting plenty fat elsewhere and can skip the double calories with this.Its been great on my glucose.Is there any special reason I should be eating the high fat version?
Thanks.
No I don't think you need the high fat version if you are getting enough fat. Most of the low fat yoghurts have higher carbs that's why they are not recommended for LC diets.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks but plain yogurt is not for me, from the berry family I only like strawberry’s.
Chop them up, add a bit of sweetener and mix them with the yoghurt. I do that with raspberries or have blueberries with no sweetener.

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Before my diagnosis, I was also keen on the fruity yoghurts, and wondered how on earth I was going to get used to the plain stuff, which I had never enjoyed in the past.
I was only diagnosed a month ago, but have tried to really stick to a LCHF diet and with trepidation I bought some Greek Yoghurt. Surprisingly, it becomes increasingly palatable the more I eat of it.........and as for not eating berries particularly other than strawberries, I started off that way and now find I love the Blueberries and Blackberries too. I use the combo if I feel hungry and really enjoy it now.

If you persist, and keep an open mind about changing your likes and dislikes.......great things will happen!! Well, some might...:)

Reactions: Daphne917

Viv19

Greek yoghurt has been strained to make it thicker and creamier. It has more protein and less carbs and salt than ordinary yoghurt. So it doesn’t taste as ‘sharp sour’ as your average thinner plain yoghurt. A few strawberries smashed up in that would be a very delicious pud!

libbylondon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Total Fage 5% Greek Yoghurt is my favourite at 3g per 100g with a couple of strawberries chopped up or raspberries. It's surprising how different brands can vary so much in carb count. M&S 10% Greek Yoghurt in a purple tub is also delicious but perhaps more of a luxury and perhaps a bit higher in fat than necessary for those of us still trying to lose weight.