Diabetes UK recipe

pixor

I was shocked to get the latest Diabetes UK email newsletter, and see that the recipe of the month was barbecued fruit with icing sugar!

Could they have come up with anything worse?

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Speechless! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

sugar2

Haven't seen the recipes to be honest..and icing sugar does seem a strange choice but, as long as tells you the carb content, then it could be OK for type 1s, who count carbs, and adjust their insulin???

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
There is the obvious danger of people jumping on the low carb bandwagon & distorting their statistics about T2 diabetes being progressive ....

"... as long as tells you the carb content, then it could be OK for type 1s, who count carbs, and adjust their insulin???"

I don't think it's advisable to eat more poison & take more antidote .... but I'm only a T2.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
IanD said:
I don't think it's advisable to eat more poison & take more antidote

That's the way I look at it. But I'm "only" a T2, too. 8)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi, it certainly IS baffling with this recipe. Icing sugar!!!! :shock: :shock: Goodness me. Anna.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
IanD said:
There is the obvious danger of people jumping on the low carb bandwagon & distorting their statistics about T2 diabetes being progressive ....

+1

sugar2

IanD said:

"... as long as tells you the carb content, then it could be OK for type 1s, who count carbs, and adjust their insulin???"

I don't think it's advisable to eat more poison & take more antidote .... but I'm only a T2.

Hey Ian,

Don't be hard on yourself...no one here would assume that a T1 is more important that a T2! This site is for all diabetics,

jopar

As with everything it depends on how much is being used...

A dusting of icing sugar is far less carb wise than a dusting of sugar! So I suspect that the carb hit is very minimal, considering it's a barbque so a lot of the foods will be protien based and low carb, such as meat and salad then the actual hit from the very small bit of icing sugar isn't really going to spike the blood glucose because the rest of the food going to slow adsorption down...

So probably in the great scheme of things won't make much difference to a diabetic either T1 or T2...

Carbs aren't posion it's all about how you manage them...

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I assume you are talking about this recepe although it is dated 2009

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-dia ... ued-fruit/

Each serving contains:

69 calories
1 g protein
16g carbohydrates
0 g fat

raydavies said:
clearviews said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Speechless! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Follow their ideas and you could be sightless and legless too!

Ray

Scaremongering again then Ray?

16g of carbs will NOT lead to blindness or amputations. :roll: For goodness sake :lol:

WhitbyJet

Sadly, I cannot eat any fruit, apart from a few berries, all other fruit makes me spike and thats without the addition of icing sugar.
Even a very tart apple or 7 cherries raises my bg as if I had eaten a full meal and thats despite 2 x Metformin a day.

raydavies

Scaremongering again then Ray?

16g of carbs will NOT lead to blindness or amputations. :roll: For goodness sake :lol:

Mod edit - just a touch too personal

In any case, I did not say 16gms of carbs would lead to blindness or amputations. I said:

"Follow their ideas and you could be sightless and legless too!"

16gms would be more than I could tolerate in an entire meal and I'm sure the same goes for many other members of this forum.

If you add the 16gms to some of the carb loaded starters and main courses then you could be in trouble.

I know there are carboholics who are prepared to risk high readings, they are, of course perfectly free to go ahead and enjoy! They should, however, be apprised of the risks.

Ray

jopar

Ray

I worked in the care field for 15 years mainly dealing with the elderly, so have dealt with plenty of ampultee's, sight issues, ulcerations of lower limbs etc etc...

Out of all the ampultee's none were T2 diabetics, only one was a T1 diabetic and I can assure you that the reason's behind losing her toes couldn't be blamed on advice given by HCP's or DUK as I know all were telling her should couldn't eat all the cholocate, biscuits etc she did! Ulcertions of lower limbs, again this is something that I really didn't find in the T2 patients...

I've been frequently my diabetic clinic for over 20 years now, and can't remember seeing anybody who's lost limbs etc...

I do know a diabetic who is my age, and in a bad way almost blind now, lost a toe and the last time I spoke to his wife, he was having a battery of tests on his kidney's, if you ask him who he blames for his blight, he will say I'm like this because I wouldn't listen to anything my hcp's have ever said to me!

So the moral of the story, is that more people get into problems because they don't listen to what is being said to them.. because at the end of the day how to we learn what we need to enable us to take control, make decissions if we don't listen...

I've listened to my HCP's then gone away, adapted what I've been told where necessary so it works for me... If I hadn't listened to my hcp's I actually won't know how to do this..

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
jopar said:
I've been frequently my diabetic clinic for over 20 years now, and can't remember seeing anybody who's lost limbs etc...

Before I was diagnosed (3 months ago), I knew precisely three T2 diabetics, two of whom had legs amputated, one of of whom has severe retinopathy. T2 diabetics absolutely do suffer from diabetes related complications. This is not scaremongering, it's a medically established fact (and there are very few of those around when it comes to diabetes).

jopar said:
So the moral of the story, is that more people get into problems because they don't listen to what is being said to them.. because at the end of the day how to we learn what we need to enable us to take control, make decissions if we don't listen...

As a recently diagnosed diabetic, it seems to me that exactly the reverse is true. It's the people who don't listen to what they are told, and make informed decisions of their own, who are the ones that manage to keep their blood sugars under control.

If I'd listened to my GP, a disgraceful NHS dietician and tried to follow the advice given by the Diabetes.org.uk "eating well guide", then I'd be including a third of a plate full of starchy carbohydrates with every meal, and be at the start of a one way trip to the amputation clinic.

I'm lucky enough to be educated and web-savvy enough to have worked my own way through the minefield of bad advice, but in the early weeks my head was spinning.

There are certainly some people that will suffer the consequences of their own apathy about their condition, but I absolutely do not accept that every T2 diabetic that suffers complications, does so because they did not listen to advice.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a good point - one that I agree with whole heartedly. The diabetics that will most successful in controlling their disease are the ones that take the time and effort to explore it themselves.

Listen to your Dr./Nurse/Dietician/Vodoo Witch/Atkins by all means. But don't take all they say as gospel. Live n' learn. Live a little more, learn a little more. Repeat.

P.S - borofergie - LOVE your avatar, man! I had to do one for myself!

jopar

borofergie said:
jopar said:

Before I was diagnosed (3 months ago), I knew precisely three T2 diabetics, two of whom had legs amputated, one of of whom has severe retinopathy. T2 diabetics absolutely do suffer from diabetes related complications. This is not scaremongering, it's a medically established fact (and there are very few of those around when it comes to diabetes).

The statistics for amplutation is 5,000 operations a week, so a percentage of this will be individuals who face a second amplutatution, the T1 I know had her toes removed in 5 different operations not in a single one! But even if you take these figures as first time then as there are over 2.4 million diabetics the actual percentage is very small indeed, so who is scaremongering!

jopar said:

As a recently diagnosed diabetic, it seems to me that exactly the reverse is true. It's the people who don't listen to what they are told, and make informed decisions of their own, who are the ones that manage to keep their blood sugars under control.

If I'd listened to my GP, a disgraceful NHS dietician and tried to follow the advice given by the Diabetes.org.uk "eating well guide", then I'd be including a third of a plate full of starchy carbohydrates with every meal, and be at the start of a one way trip to the amputation clinic.

I'm lucky enough to be educated and web-savvy enough to have worked my own way through the minefield of bad advice, but in the early weeks my head was spinning.

There are certainly some people that will suffer the consequences of their own apathy about their condition, but I absolutely do not accept that every T2 diabetic that suffers complications, does so because they did not listen to advice.

As we are all aware there is listening and listening to a HCP, Your example of the healthy plate is one of the prime examples where people say they listen to the HCP and really they don't listen to what being said... As they assume that if their plate looks like that then it's healthy and they are eating correctly, most will make the fundiemental misktake of taking on board that it's only healthy is the acutal amount is the correct amount that they need to maintain an healthy weight, and how many people do we know that actually eat more than they need!

And at the end of the day DUK's only provide general advise not one to one individual advise..

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
just because we have diabetes does not mean that we cannot have a treat occasionally and maybe thats all that was as a summer bbq treat.

ally5555

Some of you may remember I had discussions with DMUK about their dietary advice - I do not know why they persist with some of the sugary recipes. I would not like to see my own pts add icing sugar to fruit !

Borofergie - what did you mean by disgraceful dietitian - please explain!