palm_tree

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Does anyone know why my beautiful white legs stay milky white all summer, no matter how long I spend in the sun. More importantly what can I do to get a tan other than trying fake tanning from a bottle? I’ve had Type 1 for 20 years, well controlled and no major complications however I am guessing my tanning problems are linked to the diabetes?

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am totally not diabetic and my legs are the same and have been for years after getting horribly burnt in 1985

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I had no issues getting brown. I don't think tanning problems has anything to do with diabetes.

D

Deleted Account

I was diagnosed with type 1 in my 30s. I had white legs before and since then.
But that's no a problem. I would rather use fake tan than get skin cancer.

Lack of a tan is not a diabetes problem.
Lack of a "natural tan" is no problem at all.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Vitiligo can be one of the many things attributed to diabetes. It usually appears in patches on the skin.
Not sure if it could affect an entire area like legs.
Might be worth a bit of research though.
Like @helensaramay points out. White legs beat skin cancer hands down.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve always been pale blue. Takes me three weeks of sunbathing just to go white.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
The thing is, we, in this country are normally wrapped up for our inclement weather and our legs don't see any light, never mind sunlight. My upper body gradually goes brown, but legs do take a lot longer to get colour.
My Ex, in the 1980's rolled up his trouser legs on a day out at West Wittering, it was a hazy, sunny, warm day and his lily white legs (which looked like blocks of vanilla Ice cream) got very burnt, by the time we got home then had turned a purple colour so our neighbour had to take him to A&E :rolleyes:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The secret of getting a good tan is to choose your parents carefully.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
T1 for 20 years. I just need to look at holiday broucher and go very brown very quickly.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not T1 but I do like warm climates and without sunbathing go toasty brown.

These were my legs a few weeks ago.

(My toes are actually very straight. Heaven only knows why I was contorting like that. It was probably the thought of the 13 hour flight next morning.

Attachments

• IMG_2841.jpg
    IMG_2841.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 178

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The thing is, we, in this country are normally wrapped up for our inclement weather and our legs don't see any light, never mind sunlight. My upper body gradually goes brown, but legs do take a lot longer to get colour.
My Ex, in the 1980's rolled up his trouser legs on a day out at West Wittering, it was a hazy, sunny, warm day and his lily white legs (which looked like blocks of vanilla Ice cream) got very burnt, by the time we got home then had turned a purple colour so our neighbour had to take him to A&E :rolleyes:
Ah, West Wittering, love it there.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Me and a friend in Turkey last year. I have no tan on my soles
IMG-20190313-WA0000.jpg