MY DIABETIC REVIEW AND THEIR OPINIONS VS YOURS.

DawnOfTheZed

I forgot to say in my earlier reply that I got a handy book from the Xpert website about LCHF diet. So if need be, I'll wave that in front of my DSN if they argue against it. But my surgery don't say anything now that I went from hba1c of 54 on dx, to 42 at 3 months and 38 at 6 months.

Reactions: Q007

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
When i first started low carbing I made lists of very low carb breakfasts, dinners and snacks and only bought the stuff that was on the list (actually ordered it online for home delivery). It took quite a long time before i felt i could trust myself in a supermarket.

Nowadays i make a menu for a week at a time and stick to it. It works out cheaper too.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
One of the beauties of an LC diet is that it is possible to follow an effective plan without measuring or even carb counting or calorie counting. Many here do not measure or weigh, and after a while it becomes second nature to choose meals and quantities without needing to have an accurate quantized amount. I find being pedantic like that can be counter productive and lead to anxiety or stress.

I am aware that insulin users need to do this if they are adjusting dose for their meals but I am not needing that accuracy. I must admi that if you ask me how many carbs I eat a day or per meal, I will have no idea, but I can still report if I get good results or not, which to me is the important bit. I also have to admit that I am not aiming for ketogenic levels but have been there simply by reducing carb intake, which I had fine tuned at one stage so that by making a slight change to breakfast it would move me into or out of ketosis. I do not posess any scales at all.
Thank you for your reply to me, its funny because when I got down to Hba1c of 40 neither did I.

I bought a set because a number of people referred to values when it came to carbs. 20 gr meant nothing to me, but already weighing out portions from packets has given me an idea what 20gr looks like so it's helping me. I'm on here to learn from others who've walked a mile in my shoes, first steps. Kind regards Q.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Among a ton of great posts,#98 is a gem IMO. Keeping it simple means less stress for me,and lots of folks.

I dont count or measure anything after the initial research I did to ascertain average volume size to weight and nutrient numbers.Now I know when Im having a small,medium or large amount of something with just a glance.
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. Each to their own I suppose. A few members on here have suggested or talked about scales. If I'm to low carb then I need a guide and you can't be with me plus I have been given the best advice of all, which is to listen. I clearly dont have your skill level yet so a £10 set of scales teaches me what 20gr look like, which helps.

Hoping you're well, Q.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've asked several times, maybe I've missed it somewhere but if fats dont cause atherosclerosis, then what does.
Its sugar.Sugar inflames the arteries.The cholesterol follows,trying to coat the artery to protect it.

Thats the theory I ascribe to.

From this.....
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/267834.php
------------------------
Now evidence is piling up showing that sugar could be an independent risk factor for metabolic syndrome (a cluster of conditions that includes high blood pressure, abnormal blood sugar, raised triglycerides, low cholesterol and a large waist), which is known to lead to diabetes and raised cardiovascular risks.
-----------------------------

The Framington study of thousands of people followed for decades showed no difference in heart attack rates and whether you ate high or low fat.The result was so unexpected they wouldnt publish it for fear they would ostracized by the entire medical community.Thats the lead guy on the study who said that.

So literally for decades weve had evidence that it isnt dietary fats killing us.

Only question is....is that advice good for you? We make our own decisions.Im firmly in the camp that sugars are the culprit.That works for me

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
@Q007
I'm very sorry for your loss. I think a similar loss of my nephew a few years ago tipped me over to T2 - a lot of ready meals and trans fats - not a good combo. Big hug!

@JoKalsbeek
Your explanation is helpful to me too. Thanks
A very gracious reply thank you so much. Every one who mentions the loss of Drake helps me a little, so thank you.

I'm a Christian boy, I went to faith schools and I know there's a promised land where I'll see him again someday. Q

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. Each to their own I suppose. A few members on here have suggested or talked about scales. If I'm to low carb then I need a guide and you can't be with me plus I have been given the best advice of all, which is to listen. I clearly dont have your skill level yet so a £10 set of scales teaches me what 20gr look like, which helps.
No no no,not what I meant.Scales are a good thing....as you progress and have your numbers established,all it will take is a glance to know if you're being naughty or nice to your body.You wont have much need to measure every potion forever,experience will be all you'll need.IMO.

Oh,and speaking of scales they are really helpful to follow recipes based on weight vrs size,so much more accurate.All these special low carb or Keto recipes Im trying,the scale is invaluable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Q007

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
I forgot to say in my earlier reply that I got a handy book from the Xpert website about LCHF diet. So if need be, I'll wave that in front of my DSN if they argue against it. But my surgery don't say anything now that I went from hba1c of 54 on dx, to 42 at 3 months and 38 at 6 months.
Fantastic achievement well done, Wow I have my goal set at 40 for my next one from 101.

I told them I had a bad reaction to metformin, someone here mentioned there's a slow release version, I wonder why they didn't offer me that? anything to get my numbers down. I keep saying, I don't want a stroke. So I'm going for it, dont know if I could catch you though! It would be good for other people as well as me it one day you told us how you did it. Kind wishes, Q

Reactions: Evie-D

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
No no no,not what I meant.Scales are a good thing....as you progress and have your numbers established,all it will take is a glance to know if you're being naughty or nice to your body.You wont have much need to measure every potion forever,experience will be all you'll need.IMO.

Oh,and speaking of scales they are really helpful to follow recipes based on weight vrs size,so much more accurate.All these special low carb or Keto recipes Im trying,the scale is invaluable.
Gottcha, yes I agree with the scales thing its just I'm trying to eat to my meter the hard part is portion control, just dont have your skills yet in seeing and knowing what 20gr look like, it'll come though won't it. Take care you. Q.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gottcha, yes I agree with the scales thing its just I'm trying to eat to my meter the hard part is portion control, just dont have your skills yet in seeing and knowing what 20gr look like, it'll come though won't it. Take care you. Q.
Sure will.And youre asking things,and willingness to learn and to try things,you should get some real results.Keep up the good work,and keep reading,education is everything IMO.

Everything I can read about T2... I read.Im retired recently and have free time.Im putting in hours a day on this T2 learning.AND its working!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fantastic achievement well done, Wow I have my goal set at 40 for my next one from 101.

I told them I had a bad reaction to metformin, someone here mentioned there's a slow release version, I wonder why they didn't offer me that? anything to get my numbers down. I keep saying, I don't want a stroke. So I'm going for it, dont know if I could catch you though! It would be good for other people as well as me it one day you told us how you did it. Kind wishes, Q
Be careful. Metformin is contraindicated with some of the heart failure meds, and I have had mine stopped by my Consultant, I am currently using Gymnema Sylvestre which is a herbal remedy that does similar job as Metformin, but without raising the lactic acid, which is what is bad for heart conditions apparently. I find GS works for me and also drops my bgl by about 2mmol/l. Just started it this week, and already seen this drop. However, large doses of GS may harm the kidneys, so I only take a small dose each day.

DawnOfTheZed

Great goal, hope you achieve it.

You've asked how I did it. I followed LC high protein/fat diet with typically 75 - 100 g carb per day - from veg and almond/coconut/psyllium husk/milled flaxseed porridge. Lost 10 kg in 6 months and improved my insulin resistance. Used a glucometer - free with one px only of strips from DSN with self funding since. My g of carb aren't particularly low compared to others on here, not keto. Lots of protein and fats like avocado, walnuts, cheese, full fat greek yogurt, a bit of double cream in coffee. Some 90% cocoa chocolate as a treat. No more ready meals, rice, pasta, bread.

Slow release is slightly more expensive than std so they (NHS) don't offer it initially. I think you have to persevere with std for a few weeks to show willing and confirmed continued side effects before they'll try you on slow release (sometimes called XR, I think). I recall some here have said they continued and side effects disappeared after 2 weeks so were able to continue with std after initial effects (fx). Others here found the side fx very horrible and didn't continue and have succeeded by diet alone (T2 of course).

Last edited:

DawnOfTheZed

A very gracious reply thank you so much. Every one who mentions the loss of Drake helps me a little, so thank you.

I'm a Christian boy, I went to faith schools and I know there's a promised land where I'll see him again someday. Q

Amen! Didn't want to suggest such in case you didn't find it appropriate. Still painful, I guess it always will be.

Reactions: zand

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've asked several times, maybe I've missed it somewhere but if fats dont cause atherosclerosis, then what does.

The alternative view that has been disregarded over the decades...chronic excessive insulin.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3277013
upload_2019-5-30_10-20-48.png

Reactions: Guzzler and 1spuds

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We need carbs for fuel dont we? Yep I get it, we burn fat but when the fat and weight under control what'd I do then?

A lot of times we hear that carbs are essential to keep our brain functioning... Dr Keith Runyan, a low carb T1D explored this topic in his insightful blog. When we become fat adapted, we will have the enzymes needed to use fats for fuel...

https://ketogenicdiabeticathlete.wo...-diabetes-mechanisms-avoidance-and-treatment/

Below is a snippet of his observation on brain function:-
upload_2019-5-30_10-55-19.png

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Q007,
I appreciate you as many of us have had to unlearn lots of things. We have all been indoctrinated by courses, ads etc to believe that breakfast cereal is important, saturated fat is bad etc.

To help with this unlearning/relearning process consider olive oil, one of the backbone elements of the Mediterranean diet, the much touted diet for a healthy heart.

As Zoe Harcombe points out there is more saturated fat in olive oil weight for weight than in pork.
The reason i mentioned her in my last post was because she has lots of the answers, arguments to counter the fat/cholesterol causes heart disease lobby.

Studies are coming out which show some past research which swayed people away from carbs and elevated blood sugars as important associations with heart disease, and pushed saturated fat as an association, were flawed.
No-one has ever proved that intake of saturated fat, or high cholesterol causes heart disease.
In fact there are associations ( not causes) showing in a study performed by Zoe in 2008 of all total choleserol results vs deaths from cardiovascular disease (CVD) and total cholesterol vs deaths from all causes in 192 countries of the world from WHO data for males and females separately whivpch all show, to varying degrees between them that the lower the cholesterol result the higher the death rate from CVD and all causes of death.
That shoukd be worrying to any DSN ir doctor worth their salt.

Also if you look up in the Brirish Medical Journal BMJ) the Miinesota trial , 2013 article and the Sydney Healthy Heart Trial, 2016 article you will see how important research findings of the 1950s-60s were not reported.

Looking up Jennifer Elliott vs DAA, from my part of the world, and clicking on Jennifer' s article on the 'lipid hypothesis' you will see how dodgy the conduct of the trials and researchers were. ( the lipid hypothesis is the idea that saturated fat leads to high cholesterol and that this is the cause of heart disease etc) as explained in posts above, cholesterol heals, smooths over the internal lining of a blood vessel where damage has occurred.

Associations have been shown between smoking, high blood pressure and excessive blood sugar with heart disease.
Please read zoeharcombe.com yourself to be full bottle on these subjects including statin drugs.

There is also a series of videos in diabetes.co.uk site here on thread 'Low Carb Denver' where experts talk about low carb diet, cholesterol etc.

As a retired healthcare professional all the above readings altered my mindset utterly. Health professionals are bombarded by drug reps, biased speakers and disadvantaged by lack of sufficient knowledge of statistics to sift through what is dodgy statistics, fake science etc. It is in Big Food's and Big Pharma's interests to keep promoting low fat, low GI, high carb, low cholesterol, vegan diets and demonise of saturated fat and LDL cholesterol as these efforts maximise profits.

GI and GL are great in theory and research looks impressive until you try it and find it varies a lot from person to person in how well or not it works. The best i can say about it is that yes, adding fat in to a meal seems to slow the absorption of carbs for me but the figures given do not match reality for all of us. Note that that original research done by Brand-Miller et al was on non-diabetics and that in measuring the GI of single foods that becomes complicated when we eat a meal with more than one food.
And in https://www.sciencedaily 2015 there is a description of work by the Weissmann institute in November 19 issue of the journal Cell where 800 non-diabetic's blood sugar responses to various foods was tested and found to be highly variable. The conclusion reached was that this was due to each individual's bowel bugs which influence how sensitive or not one is to insulin.
That research for me at least says that the GI/GL diet research has missed the significance of the elephant in the room, the highly individual make-up of each of our bowel bug populations.

Enough of a rant, i hope the above gives you some more things to read and absorb as you venture on your journey.

Know that you can keep asking questions as you strive to resolve the conflict created by the differing edicts and info you are receiving. Best Wishes.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I omitted to mention and reinforce other's posts that Inuit and Laplander people have existed for centuries on diets devoid of carbs. Yes, if they lived far enough away from the pole they might have found some berries etc in spring but think about all the winter months. It was found thst the liver can convert protein into glucose for the 20 to 30 % of the brain that seems to need glucose exclusivly, although see @kokhongw 's post and quote above.
I am not suggesting we all eat seal blubber etc but it does show how adaptable our metabolism can be and helps explain why indigenous peoples' health was ruined by introduction of Western diet and food with carbs and the rise in obesity and heart disease mirrors such introduction and worsened in all populations further when low fat diet led to increased carb intake

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I omitted to mention and reinforce other's posts that Inuit and Laplander people have existed for centuries on diets devoid of carbs. Yes, if they lived far enough away from the pole they might have found some berries etc in spring but think about all the winter months. It was found thst the liver can convert protein into glucose for the 20 to 30 % of the brain that seems to need glucose exclusivly, although see @kokhongw 's post and quote above.
I am not suggesting we all eat seal blubber etc but it does show how adaptable our metabolism can be and helps explain why indigenous peoples' health was ruined by introduction of Western diet and food with carbs and the rise in obesity and heart disease mirrors such introduction and worsened in all populations further when low fat diet led to increased carb intake
The town or Anchorage in Alaska had extremely low incidences of obesity or diabetes or heart disease until the oilmen came in with their 'western diet', Now Anchorage has a major health problem. A similar story is found in the island of Bali which has become a tourist destination, and is also suffering epidemics. If we ever colonise the moon, I expect that that too will suffer this effect in future. Just follow the McDonalds and Dunkin Donuts as they expand their empires.

Reactions: Robbity

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't have time to read the thread all the way through right now. Just wanted to say not sure if you know about a book called Carbs and Cals which helps with carb counting and also the website www.myfitnesspal.com Sorry if others have mentioned them already, I figured that hearing the same thing a few times would be better than not hearing it at all. :)