Swings And Dips

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Removing the metalwork will at least leave you with an all biological setup, hopefully you will get things such as a leg brace and walking aids.
Please use them - it could mean the difference between the bone holding together and it not - and if it holds together, by moving around - with the help of things to take the strain, there is a better chance of improvement.
So much for a skin infection eh?

Reactions: Grant1969

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and my personal inabilities.
Yeah I obviously underestimated the danger of infection and yeah I'll be using every aid I can to try and regain my mobility, being housebound sends me around the twist, limping or not, lol.
Thanks for the advice tho, maybe summat to divert my attention type thing, while I research gadgets and gizmos to help me around the house and that.

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sorry I included a name, naive mistake, and thanks for removing it.
I'm waiting on a letter with an appointment, the reality is, I waited months to see the surgeon, travelled over a hundred miles and saw him for ten minutes. He was rushed off his feet, appeared angry that I hadn't been referred immediately, shook his head about the x-ray and said there's definite signs of infection so the plates and pins will have to come out and we'll see what happens next. I've made the mistake of googling the subject and now it's looking even more uncertain about my continued attachment to my leg...
Thanks for the support.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I included a name, naive mistake, and thanks for removing it.
I'm waiting on a letter with an appointment, the reality is, I waited months to see the surgeon, travelled over a hundred miles and saw him for ten minutes. He was rushed off his feet, appeared angry that I hadn't been referred immediately, shook his head about the x-ray and said there's definite signs of infection so the plates and pins will have to come out and we'll see what happens next. I've made the mistake of googling the subject and now it's looking even more uncertain about my continued attachment to my leg...
Thanks for the support.

No worries on the name. It happens. Just somethimes the comments aren't that positive!

Please don't go down that negative rabbit hole. If you have had something in there, retaining the infection (say, metalwork), it could be all that's required is to get rid of that and some heavy duty antibiotics.

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yeah the nurse took another couple of swabs and the previous swabs have shown the infection to be "what was expected" and didn't worry the Drs too much but the several courses of antibiotics didn't shift it so I suppose, logically, removal of the source of infection makes perfect sense, it's just that with diabetes and me being underweight and weak I'm trying to be realistic and get on terms with the possibility of losing my leg. All the usual worries are there about clots and other infections and difficulties faced during surgery along with the trying it to see type approach and it's leaving me, well, err, concerned .

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess the most practical and positive thing you can do now whilst you wait is get your bloods under the very best control possible and general health as good as you can so that when surgery happens you have the best chance of a quick and successful recovery and your body can put its full efforts into healing.

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for that, yeah, best try to get on an even keel before I get knocked down again, hehe, get as fit as I can for the best recovery. I'm going to go for waddles again as I have neglected exercise of late and get more active, sitting around dwelling on what ifs and stuff don't feed no chickens or shoe any children. I may be limping but onward and upward I go...I hope.

Reactions: DCUKMod

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well I've been and had the surgery, I had all the metalwork apart from one screw which was embedded into bone removed, and now I've been home for a week. I'm on 3 different types of antibiotics and being monitored for liver function because of one of them and I've been "made aware" of the danger of neuropathy from another one. At the moment my head is spinning whenever I stand up and I'm limping around the house with a basin in my hand because of the constant nausea and fear of vomiting. The problem I have just now is how to try and regain control of my blood sugars because whilst I was in hospital my personal medication, Gliclazide, creon and domperidone, was taken from me and it took over a week of complaining and reminding to get them back, I was getting them after meals instead of before and the timing of my Gliclazide was altered and basically just didn't work the same leaving me very sweaty, dry mouthed and up and down to the bathroom all through the night when I was trying to sleep. So now I'm home with antibiotics for 3 or so months that I must take and the side effects of them are mine to deal with, so to speak, so err yeah, swings and roundabouts I suppose because I still have 2 legs and a pulse both of which were at risk a lot more than I was left to think, ignorance being bliss in this case.
Sorry if this seems a pointless postpost, more of a personal reminder type thing.

Again, this is more of a personal reminder,, so, apologies good people, on the 27th April I was diagnosed with Bells' Paulsy after developing a fallen smile the previous day and it spreading up my face so I could neither smile or blink, prescribed steroids with a warning over side effects and whilst in the hospital they made sure it wasn't a stroke with different tests one of which was a brain scan and they found an anomaly but not connected to stroke damage type thing so I've to request another one in week or two, I'm telling myself that it's just previous damage from a motorbike accident years ago but my voice seems to be getting drowned out with negative echoes getting louder...time will tell.

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear of the extra bother you had over medication - as if you didn't have enough to cope with. Hopefully back at home and things under your own control there will be improvement.
Don't be too surprised if you find that screw appearing at some point down the line - one of my fellow band members had a plate put into her forearm and needed it removed. some years later she had a lump appear - when opened up for investigation, out came half a screw - presumably snapped off and left behind.

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well I've been and had the surgery, I had all the metalwork apart from one screw which was embedded into bone removed, and now I've been home for a week. I'm on 3 different types of antibiotics and being monitored for liver function because of one of them and I've been "made aware" of the danger of neuropathy from another one. At the moment my head is spinning whenever I stand up and I'm limping around the house with a basin in my hand because of the constant nausea and fear of vomiting. The problem I have just now is how to try and regain control of my blood sugars because whilst I was in hospital my personal medication, Gliclazide, creon and domperidone, was taken from me and it took over a week of complaining and reminding to get them back, I was getting them after meals instead of before and the timing of my Gliclazide was altered and basically just didn't work the same leaving me very sweaty, dry mouthed and up and down to the bathroom all through the night when I was trying to sleep. So now I'm home with antibiotics for 3 or so months that I must take and the side effects of them are mine to deal with, so to speak, so err yeah, swings and roundabouts I suppose because I still have 2 legs and a pulse both of which were at risk a lot more than I was left to think, ignorance being bliss in this case.
Sorry if this seems a pointless postpost, more of a personal reminder type thing.

Again, this is more of a personal reminder,, so, apologies good people, on the 27th April I was diagnosed with Bells' Paulsy after developing a fallen smile the previous day and it spreading up my face so I could neither smile or blink, prescribed steroids with a warning over side effects and whilst in the hospital they made sure it wasn't a stroke with different tests one of which was a brain scan and they found an anomaly but not connected to stroke damage type thing so I've to request another one in week or two, I'm telling myself that it's just previous damage from a motorbike accident years ago but my voice seems to be getting drowned out with negative echoes getting louder...time will tell.
I'm doing it again and now replying to myself, sorry people, I've had splitting sore headaches and partial deafness for about 3 weeks now, diagnosed and irrigated by two different nurses whilst going through 2 bottles of otex and one of bicarbonate of soda but the problem remains.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im just going to say I wish you all the best.

And heck yeah,infections with diabetes are serious for anyone who is unaware of that.Thanks for putting that out and educating folks.

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I've been told to stop taking one of the antibiotics because of the damage it's doing to my liver and I've finished the course of another so I'm just on flucloxacilin(sp) and weekly blood tests. My leg is healing quite well apart from the pain but that's to be expected and the mri that had me worried proved to be historical scarring from years ago, all that is wrong now is my erratic sugars and constant nausea and of course the damage to my organs the medicine has done.
Sunny side up and increasing the peace my lovelies.

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Had another call from the Dr and I've to get more blood taken and I'm being referred for an ultra sound for my liver, it would appear the antibiotics I was on have damaged my liver and I can only hope it's reversible as I seem to remember it's regenerative and can heal itself as long as it's not too bad...I think, hope.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Take care of your liver and it will take care of you.
Yes, liver is very good at regenerating.
Best wishes!

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Received another phone call from the Dr after they got my most recent results back and now I'm being screened for hepatitis, all this because of an untreated infection in my shin, the shin bones connected to the...liver?, hehe, whatever next I wonder.