Treatment type
Diet only
So I had my routine check.

Tri glycerides - 1.56 mmol
LDL - 2.5 mmol
Non HDL -3.2 mmol
Serum HDL - 1.19 mmol
Total - 4.4 mmol
Hbac - 47 mmol ( same as November last year)

Any feedback please? Was hoping my hbac will be lower but disappointed. Nurse said doing great.

No medication.

Thanks

Reactions: 1spuds

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I had my routine check.

Tri glycerides - 1.56 mmol
LDL - 2.5 mmol
Non HDL -3.2 mmol
Serum HDL - 1.19 mmol
Total - 4.4 mmol
Hbac - 47 mmol ( same as November last year)

Any feedback please? Was hoping my hbac will be lower but disappointed. Nurse said doing great.

No medication.

Thanks
How long had you fasted before the bloods were taken?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had fasted for only 8 hrs as I forgot it was a fasting test. So had dinner at around 10:00 PM and then test was morning 8:30
That will have probably messed with the cholesterol results then.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The NICE guidelines for people with Type 2 diabetes recommend these target readings:
Total cholesterol - Under 4.0 mmol/L
LDL levels - below 2.0 mmol/L
HDL levels - At least 1.0 mmol/L (for men)
Triglyceride levels - Less than (or equal to) 1.7 mmol/L

But the ratios of the component parts are thought to be more important by some medics. You can work out your ratios by using this online calculator: http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php

I put in your figures and these are the results.
Screenshot 2019-05-30 at 12.57.01.png

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it the triglycerides you mean as messed up?

My November triglycerides was .70
Yes the trigs reading will be messed up for sure and maybe the others too... my surgery would not have done a full lipid panel unless fasted for 10 hours and I'd say you need 12 min and 14 max hours fasting to get any meaningful numbers.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
besides triglycerides isn't this testing really a waste of time and money?

Reactions: 1spuds

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes the trigs reading will be messed up for sure and maybe the others too... my surgery would not have done a full lipid panel unless fasted for 10 hours and I'd say you need 12 min and 14 max hours fasting to get any meaningful numbers.
What boosts good HDL . I have been eating so many nuts and healthy fats . Was expecting HDL to be good

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Avocado oil, coconut oil, ghee, butter double cream, avocado, eggs ,paneer
You are vegetarian I think? Or not I find it hard to remember sorry..but those fats seem ok.
Personally I would be very hesitant to draw any conclusions form your test due mainly to the lack of the correct fasting period. Cholesterol levels are quite dynamic so can change like blood glucose in minutes..I'd just wait until the next one and fastfor between 12 and 14 hours before the blood is taken.

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are vegetarian I think? Or not I find it hard to remember sorry..but those fats seem ok.
Personally I would be very hesitant to draw any conclusions form your test due mainly to the lack of the correct fasting period. Cholesterol levels are quite dynamic so can change like blood glucose in minutes..I'd just wait until the next one and fastfor between 12 and 14 hours before the blood is taken.
I do eat meet except beef.

Ok I may get another one done later in year with proper fasting. Thanks @bulkbiker and others for responses.
In the mean time will continue my low carb with intermittent fast.

Reactions: Prem51 and 1spuds

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The general guidance is that fasting is not needed for a lipid profile unless the results come back as abnormal in which case a repeat test (with fasting) may be ordered. Some people believe that non-fasting is preferable as it more accurately reflects the normal state of the body:- https://academic.oup.com/eurheartj/article/37/25/1944/1749006

It will depend entirely on what has been consumed..
"One reason among others for preferring fasting lipid profiles is the increase in triglyceride concentration seen during a fat tolerance test;26,27 however, the increase in plasma triglycerides observed after habitual food intake in most individuals is much less than that observed during a fat tolerance test."
As one of the more modern ratios to look at is Trigs/HDL an accurate trig number is quite important. It has been noted that trigs are very variable and can change quickly hence the 12-14 hour gap of fasting period being recommended.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I do eat meet except beef.

Ok I may get another one done later in year with proper fasting. Thanks @bulkbiker and others for responses.
In the mean time will continue my low carb with intermittent fast.

What about oily fish. Is this part of your diet? Also, avoiding processed liquid oils (except olive oil) and eating foods with plenty of omega 3 and not a lot of omega 6 will help HDL. Flax seed (milled) and chia seeds, and moderate amounts of red wine are also good for HDL. What is not good are carbs.

Reactions: hankjam and 1spuds

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What about oily fish. Is this part of your diet? Also, avoiding processed liquid oils (except olive oil) and eating foods with plenty of omega 3 and not a lot of omega 6 will help HDL. Flax seed (milled) and chia seeds, and moderate amounts of red wine are also good for HDL. What is not good are carbs.
Thanks for advice. I do eat tune and salmon and mackerel.

We cook in olive oil. I may need to lower carbs further.

Reactions: Prem51

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
There is mercury detected in most fish theses days. The general advice given me was to eat small fish only as there is less mercury accumulation in them e.g sardines.
Mackerel and tuna being bigger fish as not recommended.
Swordfish is now so high in mercury i gather it is rarely served theses days.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There is mercury detected in most fish theses days. The general advice given me was to eat small fish only as there is less mercury accumulation in them e.g sardines.
Mackerel and tuna being bigger fish as not recommended.
Swordfish is now so high in mercury i gather it is rarely served theses days.

That is not logical! Of course there is less mercury in a small fish than a large fish, but you presumably eat the same amount in weight. Eat more sardines and you get more mercury. And when do we ever eat a whole tuna in one meal? ;););)