Ultra processed foods linked to early death

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like that last comment - who wants a banana when you can have ice cream - not me - but my ice cream is eggs and cream, made into a custard, cooled, whipped and then frozen.
Sometimes I have an uneasy conscience about working in the food industry.

Reactions: 1spuds

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
decades of Kids Menus, and promoting junk food as a Treat You Deserve, as a Reward................with GP's pushing refined carbs

reminds me of the Tobacco Industry

Reactions: 1spuds

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I saw this report and it made me wonder what is meant by processed foods. I don't buy ready meals, sweets or (for the last few months) sausages or bacon. I do buy shop made crackers and oatcakes, Ryvita etc and I do buy meat and veggies and process them myself for putting into the freezer (stews, soups etc). So what level of processing is now considered dangerous? Are we going to hear, somewhere down the line, that scratch making your own dishes is dangerous?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I saw this report and it made me wonder what is meant by processed foods. I don't buy ready meals, sweets or (for the last few months) sausages or bacon. I do buy shop made crackers and oatcakes, Ryvita etc and I do buy meat and veggies and process them myself for putting into the freezer (stews, soups etc). So what level of processing is now considered dangerous? Are we going to hear, somewhere down the line, that scratch making your own dishes is dangerous?
The EU has already restricted the sale of kitchen knives, and limited the hob temperature on stoves, and the max temp of toaster or grill so that it becomes difficult to get bread with a crust with any colour or non white pastries, My new cooker takes ages to fry bacon, and it is impossible to get crispy bacon under the grill since it all complies to the new EU directives to prevent caramelisation. The kitchen is a dangerous place. Aluminium pots and pans are suspected of causing alzheimers, and non stick coatings are possibly carcinogenic, and the inside of tins are coated with BPP which is also problematic. Our cooking oils and spreadable butters can turn into transfats when whizzed up in a powerful mixer, so these are being limited in power like the vaccuum cleaners are,

Yes the Nanny State is watching and legislating all the time.

D

Deleted member 308541

The EU has already restricted the sale of kitchen knives
You can buy other knives apart from kitchen knives we use my old butcher knives as they are the best for us to use.
My new cooker takes ages to fry bacon, and it is impossible to get crispy bacon under the grill since it all complies to the new EU directives to prevent caramelisation.
I nuke my bacon in the microwave for three minutes, then finish it in a non stick aluminium frypan with all the teflon coating missing. Yummy canola spray to stop the bacon sticking to the pan

bm32LuJ.jpg

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
The EU has already restricted the sale of kitchen knives, and limited the hob temperature on stoves, and the max temp of toaster or grill so that it becomes difficult to get bread with a crust with any colour or non white pastries, My new cooker takes ages to fry bacon, and it is impossible to get crispy bacon under the grill since it all complies to the new EU directives to prevent caramelisation. The kitchen is a dangerous place. Aluminium pots and pans are suspected of causing alzheimers, and non stick coatings are possibly carcinogenic, and the inside of tins are coated with BPP which is also problematic. Our cooking oils and spreadable butters can turn into transfats when whizzed up in a powerful mixer, so these are being limited in power like the vaccuum cleaners are,

Yes the Nanny State is watching and legislating all the time.

I'd like the EU to try and impose that garbage on the US, let alone Australia. Authoritarians inevitably fail

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I prefer to make up my own mind about what I should or shouldn't use or eat. Yes, there is a lot of interference with our lives in Britain and Europe but then, I have always been anti-authoritarian. But I do listen to advice from scientists, if I can follow the reasoning. Trouble is, usually no-one deigns to explain their findings. I stopped buying sausages and bacon (mostly) because I can see there may be a problem with nitrates/nitrites. Now I am experimenting with making my own sausages (probably a "problem" too) but I do sometimes buy bacon. Other than that, food is made from fresh. If someone tells me my freezer/frozen home made foods are dangerous, I think I might explode. I shall certainly make up my own mind on that.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd like the EU to try and impose that garbage on the US, let alone Australia. Authoritarians inevitably fail
It is already imposed in Canada who recently re issued their version of Eatwell. They have now removed all animal products and dairy from the plate, and refer to plant based proteins instead. Although I have not seen it myself, I believe this has also already happened in Mexico, the Phillipines, and some African countries, but I have no source on that apart from twitter musings. We in the UK are due an upgrade soon so keep an eye out,

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I prefer to make up my own mind about what I should or shouldn't use or eat. Yes, there is a lot of interference with our lives in Britain and Europe but then, I have always been anti-authoritarian. But I do listen to advice from scientists, if I can follow the reasoning. Trouble is, usually no-one deigns to explain their findings. I stopped buying sausages and bacon (mostly) because I can see there may be a problem with nitrates/nitrites. Now I am experimenting with making my own sausages (probably a "problem" too) but I do sometimes buy bacon. Other than that, food is made from fresh. If someone tells me my freezer/frozen home made foods are dangerous, I think I might explode. I shall certainly make up my own mind on that.
the problem is that, if the politicians get their way, we wont be allowed to make up our own minds, as the food choices will be restricted.

manion

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
The BBC is reporting that there seems to be an association between industrially processed foods and an early demise
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-48446924

I would be wary of this report, i saw a professor trying to explain it and he couldnt, its so ambiguous, on the list are Olives in brine, porridge oats and other healthy foods marked as ultra processed. I think it doesnt take a genious to know that microwave meals, pot noodles etc etc etc are ultra processed and arent good for you but people could read this report and cut out healthy foods. A sensible balanced diet with everything in moderation (unless low carb) is the key - cut out/down sugar, fizzy pop, fast food take aways etc etc and i dont think people would go far wrong but unfortunately there is no self control and a lack of desire to make from scratch in a large chunk of society.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When i was a kid, porridge needed at least 20 minutes slow boiling to cook. The 2 minute variety sold nowadays has been processed to change that and IMO bears little resemblance to the rib sticking gruel I was regularly subjected to,
I would be wary of this report, i saw a professor trying to explain it and he couldnt, its so ambiguous, on the list are Olives in brine, porridge oats and other healthy foods marked as ultra processed. I think it doesnt take a genious to know that microwave meals, pot noodles etc etc etc are ultra processed and arent good for you but people could read this report and cut out healthy foods. A sensible balanced diet with everything in moderation (unless low carb) is the key - cut out/down sugar, fizzy pop, fast food take aways etc etc and i dont think people would go far wrong but unfortunately there is no self control and a lack of desire to make from scratch in a large chunk of society.
I failed to find any mention of olives or porridge oats in the article I posted,

The article listed the following as examples of ultra processed foods
"Examples include: • processed meat such as sausages and hamburgers • breakfast cereals or cereal bars • instant soups • sugary fizzy drinks • chicken nuggets • cake • chocolate • ice cream • mass-produced bread • many "ready to heat" meals such as pies and pizza | meal-replacement shakes"
I would not disagree with this, and I would add Fake Meat and vegan ice cream to the list

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I did see a bit of an interview with a food scientist who admitted that they didn't actually understand the data very well - all they had was an inference from the fact that many people who eat a lot of "processed foods" have a shorter, less healthy lifespan. It could easily be that there are other factors in the lifestyle of those people which leads to a shortened life, eg poverty, poor housing, lack of amenities, lack of fresh produce etc. So why blame people, and penalise them, for poor diet choices? And why try to legislate without actual proof? And why penalise others who would not have such a shortened lifespan? Not that I ever buy those industrially produced foods (apart from unsmoked bacon from time to time), not even plain potato crisps which I love, but won't eat the carbs they represent. But it may not stop there and it could impinge on all of our life choices!

Reactions: lucylocket61

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When i was a kid, porridge needed at least 20 minutes slow boiling to cook. The 2 minute variety sold nowadays has been processed to change that and IMO bears little resemblance to the rib sticking gruel I was regularly subjected to,

I failed to find any mention of olives or porridge oats in the article I posted,

The article listed the following as examples of ultra processed foods
"Examples include: • processed meat such as sausages and hamburgers • breakfast cereals or cereal bars • instant soups • sugary fizzy drinks • chicken nuggets • cake • chocolate • ice cream • mass-produced bread • many "ready to heat" meals such as pies and pizza | meal-replacement shakes"
I would not disagree with this, and I would add Fake Meat and vegan ice cream to the list

I think the report may be referring to the industial process that uses lye to speed up the fermentation from 1 year to a couple of months. The brine becomes an added ingredient at the end
"Lye-curing: Large commercial olive producers make use of this time and cost-effective method. Invented in Spain, the process calls for immersing raw olives in vats of alkaline lye solution. This is used for green olives, to hasten the fermentation process – once the fruit is debittered with the lye, they are immediately placed into acidified brine to ferment. The lactic acid produced during the fermentation process neutralizes the excess lye. The important aspect is to check the acidity often."

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't know about lye-curing olives. My little grand daughter (7) loves green olives but won't touch the black ones. I don't know if I should be concerned about this. I did know about tinned mandarin oranges using a similar process and would never buy them for her (my choice, not government or health professionals). It would be a pity to stop her eating a vegetable product rather than chocolate, which she also loves - not as much as green olives with anchovies though.

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
You can buy other knives apart from kitchen knives we use my old butcher knives as they are the best for us to use.

I nuke my bacon in the microwave for three minutes, then finish it in a non stick aluminium frypan with all the teflon coating missing. Yummy canola spray to stop the bacon sticking to the pan

bm32LuJ.jpg
Hi I put bacon in my air fryer also pork chops and they come out nice and crispy.
I love my air fryer it’s amazing.
Maddy x