Applying for Freestyle Libre.

I have recently trialed the Freestyle Libre and had some very positive results from the meter.

Is there anyone on here who has successfully applied for the Libre on prescription?

I’d be grateful for any advice given on the application process.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I have recently trialed the Freestyle Libre and had some very positive results from the meter.

Is there anyone on here who has successfully applied for the Libre on prescription?

I'm trialling it myself currently and found it a great help in understanding the effects of exercise, in particular on my blood sugar. It's not on prescription. You must meet certain criteria to get it on prescription, such as testing your blood glucose more than 8 times a day and still having disabling hypos.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I got mine on prescription after a three month trial by dropping my HbA1c by over the required 27 points. I went from 89 to 50 in that time.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed
I got mine on prescription after a three month trial by dropping my HbA1c by over the required 27 points. I went from 89 to 50 in that time.

Thanks for your messages. Was dropping your HBA1c the only criteria that needed to be met for you to get it on prescription?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Hi, Ruth, I see from an earlier post that you're T1 living in England. I've attached a copy of the NHS England policy on libre prescription, the rules are on page 3, annex A.

The easiest one to meet is testing more than 8 times a day for three months but the doc needs to be satisfied there is a clinical need for it.

There's various other criteria which you might be able to fit.

Authorities are not allowed to impose extra conditions, but are allowed to loosen them - there was a lot of politics going on over this over the last couple of years - so even if you don't strictly meet the conditions, a sympathetic doc might cut you some slack and prescribe anyway if you show sufficient interest and motivation for it.

If you do meet the conditions and are still refused it, the NHS associate clinical lead on T1, Partha Kar, has tweeted he wants to hear about it so he can contact the hospital personally - he was involved in writing the guidelines and is a strong advocate for libre.

Good luck!

Attachments

• flash-glucose-monitoring-national-arrangements-funding-v1.1 (1).pdf
    659.3 KB · Views: 115

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for your messages. Was dropping your HBA1c the only criteria that needed to be met for you to get it on prescription?
It was the one I got mine under - there were a few others as well, like testing 8+ times a day, hypo unawareness etc. But I am in Wales, and it’s relatively freely prescribed here.

Reactions: anniehi41

MDJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Where do you live? Knowing the CCG that covers your area will be the best indicator of the type of approach you need to make. You need to understand, what the CCG's response has been to the recent NHS England prescription guidance. You also need to know where you stand in therms of the criteria for prescribing the Libre. Eg. do you test more than 8 times per day etc. If you can answer these questions then we can help more readily.