kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
@kitedoc
Thanks for your reply, I did not realise that but it has atleast delayed the argument about not going back on statins for 6 months
Great. Another victory to put up on the 'chaulkboard'!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1spuds

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
@Tophat1900
My only fear in refusing to take them is how they will treat me in future. If I refuse medication they may take the opinion that I don’t care about my health

Yeah, it could potentially result in you being listed as non-compliant.

It's your decision as I said, but you have to put your health first.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Tophat1900
My only fear in refusing to take them is how they will treat me in future. If I refuse medication they may take the opinion that I don’t care about my health

You have a point, as some surgeries can throw quite a strop. So far mine has been okay, though they are now down to 3 GPs in a practice that is meant to have 7.... so actually getting to see them is a challenge in itself.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Refusing statins should never make us recorded as non-compliant. The NICE guidelines say statins should be offered, and we are all at liberty to turn down an offer politely. I refused statins 5 years ago after taking them for a couple of months when first diagnosed. I have not been marked as non-compliant nor accused of not looking after my health.

Reactions: catarinagallo

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
i interpret ' the notation of 'declined' ' or 'non- compliant' as the doctor washing his or her hands of any responsibility or blame for anything that might happen later.

Reactions: Cobia

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I’ve never been asked to fast for a cholesterol test, it’s all done when I have my hba1c done!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
EEk my next blood panel is to be done at 2.15pm with a training session prior to the blood draw.
However according to the Feldman protocol I may find that going very high fat for the preceding days will actually low my blood lipids. Not that I care so long as I have a good trig/hdl ratio.

Reactions: Atad heavy

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
But you happily take a statin?
Even though you have never had an "accurate" cholesterol test.
I’d stopped taking statins until I had pre op assessment in 2012, the dr I saw there said they do other things apart from lowering cholesterol so I started taking them again. I don’t get told at reviews anything about any of the blood tests except the hba1c. The last cholesterol test my figure was around 3.

Reactions: kitedoc

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
. I don’t get told at reviews anything about any of the blood tests except the hba1c.
Maybe ask? No idea how old you are but cholesterol levels that low could be problematic in older women.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will at my review next month. I’m 50.

You need to ask for print outs of your blood tests. Asking does not always result in the best information, but a print out will tell the truth. You can then keep all these print outs and look back to watch for trends up or down. If your total cholesterol is only 3, it is a tad low.

Reactions: catarinagallo

Atad heavy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@NicoleC1971
It’s good to know that the ratio is ok so thanks for that. My fatty liver has improved but abnormal liver function tests has triggered further investigation. I’m currently waiting for an MRI appointment which I am worried about in case it’s bad news.
I don’t get to see the GP about my diabetes not even for the diagnosis but in view of their stance on yearly HbA1c tests, I feel a visit is now due.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
You might consider taking some CoQ10 to replenish your levels, Statins block the uptake of this essential nutrient and they think this is one reason for some of the side effects of statins. Plant sterols are sold to lower cholesterol and help with the profile levels with no seemingly side effects and are found in smaller amounts in certain foods.

Atad heavy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Marie 2
Thankyou for your reply, I am going to try CoQ10 as soon as I know what’s going on with my liver.