Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you will find that Michael Greger and others that quote science based benefits from a vegan style diet, are actually referring to the Advent Study, and the Advent 2 Study. Both of these so called scientific reports have been thoroughly debunked and shown to have a strong religious and vegan bias. The Advent program was carried out by the Seventh Day Adventists and the data was collated during Lent, which is when most of their sample audience (i.e church members) were fasting and eating primarily unleavened bread, The sample members are also largely followers of vegetarian diet, do not smoke or drink coffee or tea, so the claims that either Advent or Advent 2 prove that this diet leads to increased longevity and better health may be due to other factors, which proponents choose to ignore. The science is skewed and poorly executed. Both studies are epidemeological and are what science calls Prospect studies in that they can highlight trends and possible factors affecting a population, but by no means can any Cause be drawn from them.

It is interesting that the current controversy over Eat Lancet and their Planetary saving diet is also based on these same studies, and is equally flawed.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Type 2 Diabetes can be cured as it is caused by regular meat consumption.

How to vegetarians and vegans become type II diabetics? How come not all meat eaters are diabetic?

So, if you stop consuming meat, ideally all animal products, what happens is the body will rapidly start to regain its ability to regular blood sugars.

I have done and although I managed to reduce the occurrence of dawn phenomena, there was no way I could re-introduce even small amounts of carbs so my body was not regaining any ability to regulate sugars.

There is plenty of information about this on the internet.

Does that include any empirical information? Daft question really because it doesn't matter, it hasn'y worked for me. I hope it works for others.

Reactions: 1spuds

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I have got a meter thanks prescribed by my GP.
I do test regularly
Thanks
Hi back, was not trying to talk to you directly but rather to anyone, I am always promoting the use of a blood glucose meter to all diabetes sufferers, how else can we help ourselves? The strange thing is, that in this day and age the medical establishment still has mixed feelings about personal blood glucose monitoring. It is an odd world, where evidence based treatment is ignored and dogma is rigorously adhered to...

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is an odd world, where evidence based treatment is ignored and dogma is rigorously adhered to...
I suppose that if you don't want to be sued for malpractice then doing what NICE wants is safer. The days of selling unguents for personal reasons from the back door (however effective) are over.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Many type twos don't have a choice and need drugs, not all are overweight either so can't be to do with weight.
Quite a few T2s who are not overweight will be mis-diagnosed late onset T1 which many GPs miss. A C-peptide test will help confirm that but GPs often don't do the test. A T2 who is overweight will probably have some insulin resistance due to fat deposits.

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
I think the OP has just posted on here to cause trouble. They only joined today, so can’t have been reading much and hasn’t logged on since the original post. Enough said!

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi all,

Nutritionfacts is a great resource for diabetes sufferers. It's a non-profit organisation that offers short videos outlining the science of many health conditions and how they can be treated with diet and lifestyle changes.

Contrary to popular belief, Type 2 Diabetes is not caused by carbohydrate consumption. That's not to say carbohydrates don't trigger the problem once Type 2 Diabetes is developed. Type 2 Diabetes can be cured as it is caused by regular meat consumption. Meat consumption over long periods of time, combined with being overweight, can interfere with the body's ability to regulate glucose (sugar). This then in turn causes an inability to regulate the sugars coming from carbohydrates.

So, if you stop consuming meat, ideally all animal products, what happens is the body will rapidly start to regain its ability to regular blood sugars. I came here because I have health issues of my own, not Diabetes, but I research nutrition and health. I wanted to do it as a good deed in case it helps anybody out. If you stop eating meat, you can gradually start to reintroduce carbohydrate-rich foods. There is plenty of information about this on the internet.

The problem is that many institutions receive funding to produce certain information that may be factually incorrect. Diabetes UK has the conflict of interest of having sponsors that are meat producers, so they feel financially obligated to not tell the truth. Unfortunately the same is true for the pharmaceutical companies (who trained your GP). What we ought to be doing is going with the evidence and the science. Search on YouTube..

Yes, his voice is a little harsh on the ears. But I recommend being patient to get the information so you can learn how to reverse it.

Post edited to remove repeated promotion of a single organisation.

The long term solution is not drugs.
Hi @dtb777 Regarding my GP, she was trained at the Queens Medical Centre, University of Nottingham Hospital!

Reactions: hankjam

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Nutritionfacts is a great resource for diabetes sufferers. It's a non-profit organisation that offers short videos outlining the science of many health conditions and how they can be treated with diet and lifestyle changes.

Contrary to popular belief, Type 2 Diabetes is not caused by carbohydrate consumption. That's not to say carbohydrates don't trigger the problem once Type 2 Diabetes is developed. Type 2 Diabetes can be cured as it is caused by regular meat consumption. Meat consumption over long periods of time, combined with being overweight, can interfere with the body's ability to regulate glucose (sugar). This then in turn causes an inability to regulate the sugars coming from carbohydrates.

So, if you stop consuming meat, ideally all animal products, what happens is the body will rapidly start to regain its ability to regular blood sugars. I came here because I have health issues of my own, not Diabetes, but I research nutrition and health. I wanted to do it as a good deed in case it helps anybody out. If you stop eating meat, you can gradually start to reintroduce carbohydrate-rich foods. There is plenty of information about this on the internet.

The problem is that many institutions receive funding to produce certain information that may be factually incorrect. Diabetes UK has the conflict of interest of having sponsors that are meat producers, so they feel financially obligated to not tell the truth. Unfortunately the same is true for the pharmaceutical companies (who trained your GP). What we ought to be doing is going with the evidence and the science. Search on YouTube..

Yes, his voice is a little harsh on the ears. But I recommend being patient to get the information so you can learn how to reverse it.

Post edited to remove repeated promotion of a single organisation.

The long term solution is not drugs.
I was vegetarian my whole life, rarely had dairy.
And second I would be over the moon you could find me someone who is able to control sugar on vegan diet. I don't like meat products as I have only eaten them for just last one year in 28 years of existence.
Please find me a vegan type 2 diabetic and I promise to tell you delicious high carb Indian recipes. You will enjoy your vegan diet more.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As I have said in other threads like this one, a search of the Success Stories thread shows that a High Carb diet such as being promoted by the OP does not have a great success rate for non insulin users. There are some (myself included) who have tried the Greger Cookbook and experienced very high bgl as a direct result. I cannot recommend it for T2D at all, in fact I consider it to be a dangerous diet to promote on this website without discussion of what the effects really are so that newbies are warned about probable high glucose levels, and if using insulin, then can take steps to compensate.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was vegetarian my whole life, rarely had dairy.
And second I would be over the moon you could find me someone who is able to control sugar on vegan diet. I don't like meat products as I have only eaten them for just last one year in 28 years of existence.
Please find me a vegan type 2 diabetic and I promise to tell you delicious high carb Indian recipes. You will enjoy your vegan diet more.
I am a T2D, and I have eaten a specially prepared diabetic friendly vegan curry, and it gave me symptoms of a heart attack. Severe heartburn, very high sugar levels that lasted overnight into the following day, severe breathing problems, and I needed emergency treatment to resolve it. I was in hospital at the time, and needed the crash team and a visit to the cardio resus suite, I did not have a heart attack as it turned out, but I had a scary night and tremendous indegestion problems. Vegan fare is a definite NO NO for me, since it is not the first time I have had an adverse reaction to a vegan meal.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Quite a few T2s who are not overweight will be mis-diagnosed late onset T1
Possibly even more of the overweight ones, as HCP's think overweight=T2. In reality being overweight in no way protects you from developing an autoimmune disorder.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Possibly even more of the overweight ones, as HCP's think overweight=T2. In reality being overweight in no way protects you from developing an autoimmune disorder.
That is so true when my immune system first tried to do me in it paid no heed to my weight.

Reactions: Antje77

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have done and although I managed to reduce the occurrence of dawn phenomena, there was no way I could re-introduce even small amounts of carbs so my body was not regaining any ability to regulate sugars.

Does that include any empirical information? Daft question really because it doesn't matter, it hasn'y worked for me. I hope it works for others.
May I ask if not having any meat or most animal, and very few carbs, how you manage your protein requirements and overall health please?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The op joined today, posted and logged off immediately. Admitted he wasn’t a diabetic too. Troll perhaps?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have had a few of these types of threads. Each time I ask them if anyone has been cured using their methods and each time I get no reply. :banghead:

Reactions: Guzzler

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
H

Weird because I've eaten meat for over 75 years and never had any sign of diabetes until my carbohydrate consumption dramatically increased and then my glucose levels did too - cutting right back down on carbs immediately reduced my glucose levels back down again too, Eating meat had nothing whatsoever to do with these changes. Maybe I have alien blood in my veins?? o_O

Robbity

Reactions: Pasha and Guzzler

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I am a meat eater. And I know now that by reducing carbohydrate intake to low levels, leads to T2 diabetes reversal. However I don’t think it helps the case for LCHF solutions to make claims that are not true. Man has been consuming foods comprising of carbs for thousands of years, if not tens of thousands of years ago. It is only in very recent times that the amounts and ratios have become unacceptable. Man is and has been since thousands of years BC, an omnivore.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally, I am a meat eater. And I know now that by reducing carbohydrate intake to low levels, leads to T2 diabetes reversal. However I don’t think it helps the case for LCHF solutions to make claims that are not true. Man has been consuming foods comprising of carbs for thousands of years, if not tens of thousands of years ago. It is only in very recent times that the amounts and ratios have become unacceptable. Man is and has been since thousands of years BC, an omnivore.
What claims in particular get it wrong in your mind? I am a T2D on diet and orals, and I am low carbing. I am also an omnivore, and have used LCHF based diet to get my T2D into clinical remission. But although my LCHF includes animal products, I also can eat bread and many veg so am able to have a balanced omnivore diet within LCHF.

I do not in my case need to use a keto diet, and I suspect it is the more rigorous demands of keto that may be driving some of the claims you don't like. But that is purely due to the needs that keto imposes, and it is our choice if we wish to use LCHF as a keto diet or as a more relaxed way of controlling bgl. Maybe those using keto should make that clear when they post - would that help? I think most keto dieters do in fact have a signature that makes that clear.

Reactions: Pasha
M

Member496333

The op joined today, posted and logged off immediately. Admitted he wasn’t a diabetic too. Troll perhaps?

Whilst everyone is entitled to hold their own views, in my opinion it was evident from the outset that this topic was spam.

Status
Not open for further replies.