Moving to the Opposite Side of the World

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Recently there was a thread on the topic of “Diabetic moving to Australia”. I raised a genuine question on how this might effect the individual’s dawn phenomenon. However the post was removed. The question still remains, if a diabetic were to move to the U.K. from down under or vice versa presumably at some point the dawn phenomenon occurrence would flip by approximately 12 hours. Or would it? And if so, surely a consideration for anyone making such a move?

Last edited:
Reactions: kitedoc

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it’s more like jet lag adjustment and as your biorhythms adjust to the new circadian rhythm so would the dp along with everything else hormonal. I always found UK to Australia harder than coming back to the UK to adjust to.

D

Deleted member 308541

e dawn phenomenon occurrence would flip by 12 hours
If you are on Australian EST your dawn phenomena will be on local time not ten hours behind on UK GMT.

I have never really had a problem with a liver dump as I keep strange hours.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
No difference once you acclimatise, BUT the food will be one massive change, ergo, the readings

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it’s more like jet lag adjustment and as your biorhythms adjust to the new circadian rhythm so would the dp along with everything else hormonal. I always found UK to Australia harder than coming back to the UK to adjust to.
Simple as that then? I have been over that way a few times but many years ago. But wondered if it might take some time for the dawn phenomenon to flip round.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I reckon the circadian rythums will take some weeks to settle into a new pattern.so it is possible that in that changeover bsls coukd be quite unstable and to add to that the switchover will create some stress to add to the issues with control.
Way back when i did stints of night duty, i had to swop my breakfast to dinner, and vica versa plus lunch at midnight and dosing of insulin to match.
I feel for shift workers on insulin. Yes maybe cgm, pumps etc these days make it easier but the stress of shifting day to night shift and back again is still a stress.
I agree with @Mike D, getting used to local foods could be a challenge and climate, too.
And how will one manage to understand Strine¿

D

Deleted member 308541

I get jet lagged flying across to Perth / Geraldton from Bundy, that two hour time zone change really knocks my beer drinking rhythm out of wack.

@Listlad might have a bit of trouble with a pie floater though...

M

Member496333

No. As others have said, dawn phenomenon is biochemically linked to the circadian rhythm, not the cosmos.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My circadian rhythms were way out of sync for years. So much so that I have never had jet lag. I didn't have much of a DP until the last year or so. So I assume that the fact that I get DP now is a good thing. I reckon I will get jet lag when I go to Oz next time too.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I reckon the circadian rythums will take some weeks to settle into a new pattern.so it is possible that in that changeover bsls coukd be quite unstable and to add to that the switchover will create some stress to add to the issues with control.
Way back when i did stints of night duty, i had to swop my breakfast to dinner, and vica versa plus lunch at midnight and dosing of insulin to match.
I feel for shift workers on insulin. Yes maybe cgm, pumps etc these days make it easier but the stress of shifting day to night shift and back again is still a stress.
I agree with @Mike D, getting used to local foods could be a challenge and climate, too.

I have never been on a long haul flight, so I can't comment about jet lag. But being Insulin dependent, i'm sure, it would take a while longer to for the switch over. to settle down.
I would love to go to Australia, if, I had the money and they shifted the country a little bit closer to the UK ;):D

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have actually visited the Southern Hemisphere (Angola) but the time zone is pretty close to that of the U.K.
so any impact on dawn phenomenon must simply relate to crossing a large number of time zones.

Last edited by a moderator:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never been on a long haul flight, so I can't comment about jet lag. But being Insulin dependent, i'm sure, it would take a while longer to for the switch over. to settle down.
I would love to go to Australia, if, I had the money and they shifted the country a little bit closer to the UK ;):D
Need to get someone to lassoo it and tow it over this way a bit.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This really answers my query. Thanks.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is not really a dawn phenomenon but a waking phenomenon, so when your body adjusts to waking at the right time the BG rise should follow.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No difference once you acclimatise, BUT the food will be one massive change, ergo, the readings
Food between UK and aus really not so different. Different brand names is about all and a few individual dishes.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

LOL I just looked that up.

“In the mid '60s an Australian writer Alistair Morison wrote a book under the pseudonym Afferbeck Lauder (alphabetical order) called "Let Stork Strine" (Let's talk Australian) which became popular for a while ...”