Cholesterol test

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You and me both on the side effects. I've gone through 3 "brands" of statins and given up.... my TC are pretty high but the downside of statins really was not worth it..... time will tell.
I gave up after 6 months due to having dizzy spells and sleep disturbance. They also increased my hba1c from 48 at diagnosis to 54 which soon reduced when I stopped taking them. My notes have now been annotatated ‘statin intolerant’.

Dark Horse

My immediate thought was - well why wasn’t I on those in the first place
Not everybody gets side-effects from a particular drug and no-one can predict who will get them. If someone gets side-effects from statin 'A', they may be fine with statin 'B'. Conversely, someone who is fine with statin 'A' may get side-effects from statin 'B'. Hence the 'suck it and see' approach. Armed with that knowledge, it's entirely up to you whether you decide to try another statin - no-one can make you.

Atad heavy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Dark Horse
I take your point but when you are older you don’t know if it’s an age related problem.
The following is a list of the debilitating side effects that I suffered with whilst taking statins (several types)
1. A decline in my cognitive thinking
2. Severely reduced mobility
3. Extreme difficulty in doing simple chores like vacuuming & other chores
4.Inability to walk more than 200 yards without resting
5. Severe discomfort in both sides of back when ironing
6. Pain/discomfort in leg muscles, especially top
7. Inability to burp properly
8. No control over breaking wind
I hope my post will help others who might be putting their conditions down to old age think again

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Dark Horse
I take your point but when you are older you don’t know if it’s an age related problem.
The following is a list of the debilitating side effects that I suffered with whilst taking statins (several types)
1. A decline in my cognitive thinking
2. Severely reduced mobility
3. Extreme difficulty in doing simple chores like vacuuming & other chores
4.Inability to walk more than 200 yards without resting
5. Severe discomfort in both sides of back when ironing
6. Pain/discomfort in leg muscles, especially top
7. Inability to burp properly
8. No control over breaking wind
I hope my post will help others who might be putting their conditions down to old age think again

Blaming those side effects on getting older is very common, which is one reason why they don't get reported as often as they should.