Chest Tightness

RiaM80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When my BG levels are high (above 17) my chest feels heavy/tight. Is this a normal affect of high BG? If so, why is this? I'm type 1

Last edited:
Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
When my BG levels are high (above 17) my chest feels heavy/tight. Is this a normal affect of high BG? If so, why is this?
I used to get that, and it was always a sign of ketones. This can also cause extreme sleepiness, aching muscles all over, diarrhoea, headaches and avoidance of social interaction. Generally speaking you need to try and avoid high levels to give yourself the best chance of a decent life. Do you know what your Hba1c is? Once I had managed to get mine down to 7 in old money, I could not tolerate levels of 11 and above - a good thing, which kept me going with dodgy kidneys (1973-2013) and near perfect eyesight, in spite of laser treatment in both eyes from 1979-1983. Good luck!

Last edited:

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
When my BG levels are high (above 17) my chest feels heavy/tight. Is this a normal affect of high BG? If so, why is this?
Sorry, I rudely forgot to welcome you to this amazing forum. I think it will help you a great deal.

RiaM80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to get that, and it was always a sign of ketones. This can also cause extreme sleepiness and avoidance of social interaction. Generally speaking you need to try and avoid high levels to give yourself the best chance of a decent life. Do you know what your Hba1c is? Once i had managed to get mine down to 7 in old money, I could not tolerate levels of 11 and above - a good thing, which kept me going with dodgy kidneys (1973-2013) and near perfect eyesight, in spite of laser treatment in both eyes from 1979-1983. Good luck!
I get bad dawn phenomenon. Always wake high, but some mornings worse than others especially when unwell. Last hba1c was 8.4. This morning wole on 18.7 and tight chest again. Never really thought about why it happens, until now lol

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Ria, in my opinion anyone suffering any chest discomfort should consult their Dr. It is all too easy to blame every symptom we have on our diabetes. You need to get check out to make sure there’s not something else going on.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
I get bad dawn phenomenon. Always wake high, but some mornings worse than others especially when unwell. Last hba1c was 8.4. This morning wole on 18.7 and tight chest again. Never really thought about why it happens, until now lol
Presumably you're Type 1 ? Do you count carbs? Adjusting insulin is probably the right course, but your GP needs to discuss that.
Do they know this is happening. Your hospital team should be addressing this. If they have given you an appointment weeks away, ring them and say you need one urgently. If that doesn't work, Email their PALS site - that always worked for me!

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@RiaM80

Welcome to the forum.

As there are several different types of diabetes, each needing different treatments and with different problems, it is helpful to know which type you have and how it is treated. Can you complete your profile settings to show your type of diabetes, treatment, and medications? If you are using the app you need to log in on your browser to do this. It could save inappropriate advice and being asked over and over for this information.

To answer your question, chest discomfort needs to be addressed by a GP. Not everything is caused by high blood sugars. You would be wise to make an appointment for a check up.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

RiaM80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Presumably you're Type 1 ? Do you count carbs? Adjusting insulin is probably the right course, but your GP needs to discuss that.
Do they know this is happening. Your hospital team should be addressing this. If they have given you an appointment weeks away, ring them and say you need one urgently. If that doesn't work, Email their PALS site - that always worked for me!
Yes I'm type 1. I carb count, but not great at it lol. My hospital appointment keeps getting cancelled and rescheduled. Currently in September now, but will prob change again

RiaM80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@RiaM80

Welcome to the forum.

As there are several different types of diabetes, each needing different treatments and with different problems, it is helpful to know which type you have and how it is treated. Can you complete your profile settings to show your type of diabetes, treatment, and medications? If you are using the app you need to log in on your browser to do this. It could save inappropriate advice and being asked over and over for this information.

To answer your question, chest discomfort needs to be addressed by a GP. Not everything is caused by high blood sugars. You would be wise to make an appointment for a check up.
Sorry. Just did that now. My gp is useless, so no point. I complained a few years ago about foot pain when walking, and his advice was to stop walking finally got medication for neuropathy about a year later

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry. Just did that now. My gp is useless, so no point. I complained a few years ago about foot pain when walking, and his advice was to stop walking finally got medication for neuropathy about a year later

Ria - I doubt any doctor would turn a patient away complanining of chest pain. Please have it checked out.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Thank you for completing your profile.

Foot pain is completely different from chest discomfort. Your doctor will not ignore that.

RiaM80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got to call them tomorrow for some advice about the new medication for neuropathy they've given me. Its making me feel sick (not having any luck), so I'll mention the chest tightness too.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got to call them tomorrow for some advice about the new medication for neuropathy they've given me. Its making me feel sick (not having any luck), so I'll mention the chest tightness too.

Could that new medication be causing the chest tightness? Something for you to ask.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi Ria, in my opinion anyone suffering any chest discomfort should consult their Dr. It is all too easy to blame every symptom we have on our diabetes. You need to get check out to make sure there’s not something else going on.

I was going to say the same, it's probably nothing serious, but always best to get it checked out.

Reactions: WuTwo and Rachox
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
When my BG levels are high (above 17) my chest feels heavy/tight. Is this a normal affect of high BG? If so, why is this? I'm type 1

Hello and a big welcome @RiaM80, I sincerely hope you can get to the bottom of the chest tightness problem very soon. Also have word with your DSN about tweaking your Insulin doses, as you are running high.

Last edited: