Unintentional weight loss

K_Bowley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am currently on 3 x 500mg of metformin a day and I was wondering if it aids with weight loss. Within 3 months I have lost 5 stone (am overweight anyway) and continue to lose weight quite quickly.

Kayleigh

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you test your blood sugars?
Weight loss is possible with metformin, but it's also a common symptom of type 1. Have your doctors looked into that?
I would contact your doctor/diabetes team about the weight loss.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Reactions: SimonCrox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi K. From personal experience I would say that Metformin and a low carb diet have enabled me to lose 6 1/2 stone since I was diagnosed Type 2. The low carb diet has been a major factor but when I tried to drop my Metformin dose my weight loss stalled then when I increased it again my weight loss resumed. From reading around Metformin decreases appetite and I’ve also read that it affects the absorption of carbs. Here’s what this website says about it:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-medication/metformin-weight-loss.html
Please also bear in mind what @Antje77 says too though.

Edit for typo

Last edited:
Reactions: K_Bowley and EllieM

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats a pretty speedy weight loss.. I'm guessing you have been diagnosed as Type 2 but loosing weight quickly unintentionally could be a symptom of something else..Do you know what your HbA1c was?
Do you measure your blood sugar levels and if so what kind of values are you getting?

K_Bowley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, thanks for the replies. My DSN said that there’s no point using a glucometer, so I haven’t been testing my glucose levels myself. My last HBA1C was 58. My doctors said I had type 2 and never investigated type 1. I have been feeling extremely faint and dizzy and find it hard to eat. When I eat jelly babies and I feel a lot better.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm in your shoes I'd go back to the docs and get checked out.. see if you can get a c-peptide test to see how much insulin you are producing..Are you trying to lose weight deliberately or has it just "happened" ?
I see from the post title that its unintended which could well be a symptom of something other..
Also try and get a meter even if you only use it until the pot of strips run out so you can see what your blood sugars are doing. your nurse is I'm afraid just towing the NHS line about testing as they can't afford meters and strips for all. If they won't give one to you I'd suggest getting your own.. it can be a very powerful tool.

M

Member496333

First thought is insulin deficiency.

Edit: although you’re also describing what sounds like low blood sugar...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, thanks for the replies. My DSN said that there’s no point using a glucometer, so I haven’t been testing my glucose levels myself. My last HBA1C was 58. My doctors said I had type 2 and never investigated type 1. I have been feeling extremely faint and dizzy and find it hard to eat. When I eat jelly babies and I feel a lot better.

Your nurse was totally wrong. There is every point in using a glucometer. For one thing, you could check when you have these dizzy and faint episodes to see just what your blood sugars are. Then you can do something about it. Without checking, you could be doing the wrong thing in eating jelly babies. Secondly, you can test before and after eating (2 hours after first bite) to see instantly what that meal has done to your levels - this gives you the opportunity to tweak whatever you are eating and bring your numbers down. In my opinion they are essential if you want to control this condition.

Such a rapid weight loss (5 stones in 3 months is not normal) should be ringing alarm bells. You could very well be T1 or there may be a reason unrelated to diabetes. You need to see a doctor, and ask for the relevant T1 tests, which are the GAD antibodies tests and the c-peptide test. He also needs to know about your dizzy do's.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Many nurses say there’s no point in testing but many of us here ignore that and test to learn about our diabetes.
In your case I’d say it’s very important. If there is a possibility of type 1 (with your rapid weight loss there is) you need to look out for high blood sugars. Conversely if you are suffering ‘hypo’ type symptoms which are improved by jelly babies, you need to establish if you really are low or ‘hypo’.
I think overall you need to see your GP again.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
I'm inclined to agree with the other replies. It probably isn't anything to worry about but I would go back to your GP just in case. If he won't take you seriously, I would ask for a second opinion. GP's don't like it, but it is your right.
Regarding testing, the NHS advises that T2 patients don't need to test. If you probe a bit they will admit that they think it's a waste of time (and NHS funds) because so few patients do anything about their condition whether they test or not. Clearly you want to improve your health, so I would get a test kit and use it before meals and then one and two hours after the first bite. It will tell you which foods spike your BG and which don't. You can then organise your diet accordingly. It's the only really effective way that you can control your BG day to day. I use a Codefree meter. It costs about £25, but the test strips are only £7 for 50. Some manufacturers will provide a free meter, but check the price of strips first, as they can be expensive. You will use a lot of strips for the first few weeks, then less as you go along. I currently use around two a day. Good luck.

Reactions: Angengray

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
You need to test your blood glucose levels, no "if's" or "buts" about it. Your DSN is wrong. You need to know what is going on with your levels. Especially right now.

M

Member496333

Remember also that insulin deficiency, if indeed that were the case, does not necessarily indicate type 1.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My DSN said that there’s no point using a glucometer
Too may say this and it’s simply not true. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...-your-blood-sugars.66574/page-52#post-2060586

Your situation right now is a very good example of when it would be extremely useful to know what’s actually happening right now, not weeks ago as an average.

Other than not wanting to eat (which could be the metformin nausea side effects which can be addressed with slow release or other meds, the appetite suppressant effect of metformin in overdrive or some other ill effect from the chance it could be type1) have you changed what type of food you eat since diagnosis? Eg are you now eating low carb, low calorie, low fat etc

I agree with the others. Go back to the dr and ask for c peptide tests to see just how much insulin your body makes. Many assume because you have weight to lose you are type 2. There’s nothing that says larger people can’t get autoimmune diseases and if newish type 2 diabetics rapidly lose weight without other explanations then that’s a red flag to check for type 1, LADA or other types.

K_Bowley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I’m going to get a glucometer and make an dr appointment for Monday. I will keep you all posted.

Reactions: Antje77

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, I’m going to get a glucometer and make an dr appointment for Monday. I will keep you all posted.

If you want to get a meter quickly you can buy them in Boots and other chemists, however they will be the more expensive ones.

Here’s some info on meters you can buy on line, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned. For a meter with cheap strips go for the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/ with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

With more expensive strips is the Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free which has the cheapest strips available. However I found itto be becoming less and less reliable. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go:

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

Good for you. Information is key, and that's what your blood glucose monitor will give you. Good luck at the appt.

K_Bowley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, just giving an update:

The GP believe that I have T1. My blood test result (had a blood test Friday) showed my HBA1C has gone to 132, I also had a urine test and it showed that I was positive for ketones in my urine. She also gave me a glucose meter and has sent me to hospital for further investigation.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, just giving an update:

The GP believe that I have T1. My blood test result (had a blood test Friday) showed my HBA1C has gone to 132, I also had a urine test and it showed that I was positive for ketones in my urine. She also gave me a glucose meter and has sent me to hospital for further investigation.

Good news and bad news. You will now get sorted out, hopefully.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here’s hoping the hospital get you sorted out. There are lots of very knowledgeable and helpful type ones on here that will help you navigate this new road, if indeed it is confirmed. I assume they will test for gad antibodies and c peptide in hospital to make certain of the diagnosis.