Moving to the Opposite Side of the World

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bow to your infinite wisdom
That reads as sarcasm, not sure that it’s warranted though. Perhaps it was meant to be funny.

I’ll qualify - in my experience of having lived in both countries the food in Australia really is much the same as the uk

M

Member496333

food in Australia really is much the same as the uk

I concur. The only difference really in AU is that they eat “snags” instead of sausages and “chooks” instead of chickens :D

Granted it’s conceivable that their meat consumption is comparatively high owing to almost year round barbecue weather, but otherwise I’d say that their diet is broadly similar to the UK.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that Aussie burgers are quite different to UK ones. I just can't eat the Aussie ones and my cousin from Sydney can't eat UK ones. I don't like Aussie fish and chips either.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that Aussie burgers are quite different to UK ones. I just can't eat the Aussie ones and my cousin from Sydney can't eat UK ones. I don't like Aussie fish and chips either.
Never could taste the difference in burgers other than the inclusion of beetroot. They do have some different fish in takeaways, I rather liked some of them. Maybe it’s those low carb potatoes messing around with tastebuds

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never could taste the difference in burgers other than the inclusion of beetroot. They do have some different fish in takeaways, I rather liked some of them. Maybe it’s those low carb potatoes messing around with tastebuds
It's not so much the taste... More the texture. I do eat meat but am not keen on alot of it. The Aussie ones are just too meaty and too chewy for me. Strangely that's what my cousin says about ours too.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
.......in my experience of having lived in both countries the food in Australia really is much the same as the uk
What? Kangaroo burgers, ostrich meat and emu eggs? :D

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What, kangaroo burgers, ostrich meat and emu eggs :D
The Roos I saw were in my garden not on my plate.

Didnt saw these stacked up in the normal supermarkets (possibly in a butchers now and then) and just for reference you can get the first two occasionally in Lidl here too. There was one local restaurant that did these along with croc meat and a few other specialities but that’s what they are specialties not everyday meats. The only times I’ve eaten these meats have been in the UK

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The Roos I saw were in my garden not on my plate.

Didnt saw these stacked up in the normal supermarkets (possibly in a butchers now and then) and just for reference you can get the first two occasionally in Lidl here too. There was one local restaurant that did these along with croc meat and a few other specialities but that’s what they are specialties not everyday meats. The only times I’ve eaten these meats have been in the UK
Two crocodile sandwiches please and make it snappy!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is not really a dawn phenomenon but a waking phenomenon, so when your body adjusts to waking at the right time the BG rise should follow.
About a year after I was diagnosed, I wasn't very well for a time and spent most of the day sleeping, and woke around 4.30-5pm to feed dogs and myself. Glucose levels showed quite clearly that my "dawn" phenomenon had followed this pattern, and turned into a "wake up late afternoon" spike, which quite intrigued me!

Robbity