?

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
So this is what happens today. Bad luck.
I literally got hit by a car reversed into me whilst cycling

Unfortuantly camera switched off. So didn’t catch it. Witnesses did try to help. I had a bit of ankle pain. One of the witness called an ambulance because at the time I could barely put weight on it. However also turned out that my blood sugar was low and by the time it was back to normal. It could put some weight on it but it kept giving way. The paramedics just said to keep an eye on it as I can put weight on it.

Thing is
1. I don’t know whether to get police involved even the paramedics questioned this to themselves and didn’t as they weren’t sure.

. I know I don’t have it on camera but witnesses saw and since this was round the corner. Would it be a good idea for me to get their details if I need too. (If my bikes damaged I probably will have to since I have cycling insurance)
2. Also my ankle/feet still keeps giving way. Which is awkard because I don’t know what to do about my work and volunteering. Since this requires a lot of walking and climbing over fences.?

So I don’t know what you guys think?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any injury accident requires the driver to give you all their details including insurance and to notify police within 24hrs. Do you have these details? If not for sure get police involved if only to get you these details. Then get your ankle checked over, gp, walk in clinic etc. It may be a one off visit but maybe it won’t. I know you might not bother otherwise but IF you end up making some sort of claim you’ll need medical evidence or at the least to show you needed it checked.

My teenage son was knocked off on a roundabout last year. Bike written off (cracked frame not immediately obvious as well as other more minor damage) and twisted knee and scrapes on top of very very shaken. Physio and a couple of months below par knee. Police weren’t called at the time (ambulance declined to attended!!! despite him being a child). I called them just after when I found out about it and had taken him for checks. Driver admitted full fault and was prosecuted with a safer driver awareness course which we were happy with as a result. House hold insurance turned out to have legal cover and took over a claim. All I’ve had to do since is sign a few forms. Cost of bike, helmet etc recovered which was my goal and a reasonable injury payment agreed as a bonus.

Edited to add I don’t see relevance of your low blood sugar unless you mean to suggest it was your fault as a result of a hypo and caused you to be the danger on the road by weaving around etc etc . Pretty sure if you were cycling appropriately in the correct place etc then the car driver should be looking where they reverse and is to blame.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Any injury accident requires the driver to give you all their details including insurance and to notify police within 24hrs. Do you have these details? If not for sure get police involved if only to get you these details. Then get your ankle checked over, gp, walk in clinic etc. It may be a one off visit but maybe it won’t. I know you might not bother otherwise but IF you end up making some sort of claim you’ll need medical evidence or at the least to show you needed it checked.

My teenage son was knocked off on a roundabout last year. Bike written off (cracked frame not immediately obvious as well as other more minor damage) and twisted knee and scrapes on top of very very shaken. Physio and a couple of months below par knee. Police weren’t called at the time (ambulance declined to attended!!! despite him being a child). I called them just after when I found out about it and had taken him for checks. Driver admitted full fault and was prosecuted with a safer driver awareness course which we were happy with as a result. House hold insurance turned out to have legal cover and took over a claim. All I’ve had to do since is sign a few forms. Cost of bike, helmet etc recovered which was my goal and a reasonable injury payment agreed as a bonus.

Edited to add I don’t see relevance of your low blood sugar unless you mean to suggest it was your fault as a result of a hypo and caused you to be the danger on the road by weaving around etc etc . Pretty sure if you were cycling appropriately in the correct place etc then the car driver should be looking where they reverse and is to blame.

No I don’t have the details. I assume he’ll also need my details? Because he’s got dents in his car. Only know where he works as a bystander said and that’s it and first initial of number plate but there were also CCTV cameras around. I was cycling in the right place and appropriately and yeah (the bystander also said he saw what happened and guessed he was at fault. Even when paramedics asked the driver at the time he kept changing his story weird.
I’ll see if I can email the local shops or ask tommorow (depending how my ankles doing) to see if the owner will give the details. He did stop and ask if I was alright I just completely forgot to get his details and full number plate and I’ll also do it because I’ve also got a feeling something is also wrong with bike (even though this time I was literally coming back from just getting my bike repaired). Hopefully it’s not damaged. I luckily didn’t get any cuts or scrapes. (Probs because I was wearing gloves, long sleeve fleece, tracksuits and a helmet). It just my ankle being a pain. That’s the reason I’m up. I should probs get it checked out soon as I can’t quite go to sleep (pain is worse when I’m resting/ lying down due to this and isn’t helpful I sleep on my stomach anyway.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I don’t have the details. I assume he’ll also need my details? Because he’s got dents in his car. Only know where he works as a bystander said and that’s it and first initial of number plate but there were also CCTV cameras around. I was cycling in the right place and appropriately and yeah (the bystander also said he saw what happened and guessed he was at fault. Even when paramedics asked the driver at the time he kept changing his story weird.
I’ll see if I can email the local shops or ask tommorow (depending how my ankles doing) to see if the owner will give the details. He did stop and ask if I was alright I just completely forgot to get his details and full number plate and I’ll also do it because I’ve also got a feeling something is also wrong with bike (even though this time I was literally coming back from just getting my bike repaired). Hopefully it’s not damaged. I luckily didn’t get any cuts or scrapes. (Probs because I was wearing gloves, long sleeve fleece, tracksuits and a helmet). It just my ankle being a pain. That’s the reason I’m up. I should probs get it checked out soon as I can’t quite go to sleep (pain is worse when I’m resting/ lying down due to this and isn’t helpful I sleep on my stomach anyway.
I think you’re being optimistic. He’ll think he’s got away with it more likely. Definitely report it. It’s an offence if he doesn’t report it, which cynical me says he won’t. Do you have the witness details? CCTV sounds like your only hope realistically unless the witness has the reg. or the ambulance do (unlikely) or you can find the car at his place of work. The police should do this but in these days of cuts and call handlers not being well trained don’t bank on it. I had to demand they make a proper report as the call taker had no idea of the law and tried to tell me there was nothing they could do even with a reg. They were put right (politely with facts and knowledge) and the officer who then got allocated was very good.

An injury rti can and should be investigated especially if you have some means of identifying the driver (reg, cctv, witness, car with damage - take photos btw but don’t approach the owner) and said owner has also failed to report it. Maybe they aren’t legal in some other way too hence the changes of story

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I think you’re being optimistic. He’ll think he’s got away with it more likely. Definitely report it. It’s an offence if he doesn’t report it, which cynical me says he won’t. Do you have the witness details? CCTV sounds like your only hope realistically unless the witness has the reg. or the ambulance do (unlikely) or you can find the car at his place of work. The police should do this but in these days of cuts and call handlers not being well trained don’t bank on it. I had to demand they make a proper report as the call taker had no idea of the law and tried to tell me there was nothing they could do even with a reg. They were put right (politely with facts and knowledge) and the officer who then got allocated was very good.

An injury rti can and should be investigated especially if you have some means of identifying the driver (reg, cctv, witness, car with damage - take photos btw but don’t approach the owner) and said owner has also failed to report it. Maybe they aren’t legal in some other way too hence the changes of story

Ok. Also I’ll report it. I guess I’ll have to report it through online. As I don’t have any credit to call non emergency number to report it.
But the thing is it asks if you’ve been injured and to tick which or other. Thing is I don’t know what to say as yes my ankle hurts but not very badly.
Same when it asks about damage. I haven’t been able to check my bike due to the ankle hurting.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok. Also I’ll report it. I guess I’ll have to report it through online. As I don’t have any credit to call non emergency number to report it.
But the thing is it asks if you’ve been injured and to tick which or other. Thing is I don’t know what to say as yes my ankle hurts but not very badly.
Same when it asks about damage. I haven’t been able to check my bike due to the ankle hurting.
Yes you have been injured. You are in pain. Degree isn’t relevant. It probably would help to hobble to the bike and check it over first. If you can’t even hobble that far then it really does answer your first question about injury doesn’t it.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes you have been injured. You are in pain. Degree isn’t relevant. It probably would help to hobble to the bike and check it over first. If you can’t even hobble that far then it really does answer your first question about injury doesn’t it.
Thanks and I better check my bike a bit later because i have bicycle insurance which is supposed to cover damage when you’ve been in an accident but they have to be called once reported and within 24 hours. Also as for volunteering if my ankles still hurting by Wednesday. I’m unlikely to be able to do my volunteering since it requeries a lot standing up and climbing over fences. Tommorow I just have a course if I manage to get there on time I’ll explain to the teachers becuse they might ask why I’m walking weirdly. (My friend fell of his bike a few months accept. Except he didn’t quite get hit but becuse a driver didn’t give way which caused him to hit the curb. He ended up injuring his self worse). So I’m guessing I’m sort of lucky I only managed to injure my ankle.

What is it with drivers these recent months! Exactly why I have a bike camera (it was just unfortuant that I didn’t catch it due to low battery,

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks and I guess your right

Reactions: jjraak

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just for the record your friends would be classed as an injury accident too. He fell and was injured as a direct result of the drivers actions. A direct “hit” is not required.

Reactions: Lulu9101112

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just for the record your friends would be classed as an injury accident too. He fell and was injured as a direct result of the drivers actions. A direct “hit” is not required.
Yeah I know he didn’t bother reporting it though.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Also is it usuall to feel like this? My minds still on yesterday I can’t stop thinking and I feel sweaty and cold and my feelings are pretty much all over the place even though I haven’t been outside and it’s not because of blood sugar as I usually only get sweating when my bloods low but I just tested and it was high 13.7 . I can also hear my breathing quite heavily.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also is it usuall to feel like this? My minds still on yesterday I can’t stop thinking and I feel sweaty and cold and my feelings are pretty much all over the place even though I haven’t been outside and it’s not because of blood sugar as I usually only get sweating when my bloods low but I just tested and it was high 13.7 . I can also hear my breathing quite heavily.
It can be quite a shock to have an accident. That and being in pain may well upset your numbers and emotions. My son is still, a year later, a bit jumpy on his bike in some situations. I had a car acccident 20+ yrs ago and just occasionally I still flinch and get a little heart race if I think the same circumstances are occurring. It only happened to you yesterday. Being shaken still today is perfectly normal and ok. I’m type two and don’t get hypo or numbers that high since I started testing after going low carb so sorry I can’t speak from experience how they make me feel.

Reactions: Lulu9101112

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It can be quite a shock to have an accident. That and being in pain may well upset your numbers and emotions. My son is still, a year later, a bit jumpy on his bike in some situations. I had a car acccident 20+ yrs ago and just occasionally I still flinch and get a little heart race if I think the same circumstances are occurring. It only happened to you yesterday. Being shaken still today is perfectly normal and ok. I’m type two and don’t get hypo or numbers that high since I started testing after going low carb so sorry I can’t speak from experience how they make me feel.
Thanks I guess right

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At those differing angles I really couldn’t comment and to be honest wouldn’t like to anyway. You know how it feels and can see it far better than I. What did the ambulance say?

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At those differing angles I really couldn’t comment and to be honest wouldn’t like to anyway. You know how it feels and can see it far better than I. What did the ambulance say?
Ok. Yesterday they just said to keep an eye on it since I can put some weight on it.
Good thing I was wearing gloves and as just realised theres a couple of holes in it but luckily i didn’t hurt my hands due to this as well.

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok. Yesterday they just said to keep an eye on it since I can put some weight on it.
Weight bearing doesn’t rule out more serious or long term injuries like ligament damage. I’ve walked on torn ligaments and broken ankles. I’ve also had sprains that whilst just as painful on the first day heal rapidly with no side effects. If it’s very painful and doesn’t quickly improve consider getting it checked

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Weight bearing doesn’t rule out more serious or long term injuries like ligament damage. I’ve walked on torn ligaments and broken ankles. I’ve also had sprains that whilst just as painful on the first day heal rapidly with no side effects. If it’s very painful and doesn’t quickly improve consider getting it checked
Ok thanks

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

So that ankles getting better with pain but can stuff also appear following days as that feeling of my ankle giving way has come back even though it went away this morning keeps coming and going and pins and needles in my other foot which won’t go away. I think I should definitely get it checked out although I’ll have to wait till tommorow just hopping pain doesn’t come back overnight and disturb my sleep

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I defiently need to get both checked out as now I have a weird pins needles feeling in my other foot which came last night. The other pain keeps coming and going. Thing is my mum says to wait till Friday before going to doctors. But thing is it stopped me going to my college course today. So it’s most likely going to be the same tommorow or my volunteering on wed will make things a lot worse if it is damaged as that requires a lot of walking and climbing over fences. So I’m stuck on what to do??

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So this is what happens today. Bad luck.
I literally got hit by a car reversed into me whilst cycling

Unfortuantly camera switched off. So didn’t catch it. Witnesses did try to help. I had a bit of ankle pain. One of the witness called an ambulance because at the time I could barely put weight on it. However also turned out that my blood sugar was low and by the time it was back to normal. It could put some weight on it but it kept giving way. The paramedics just said to keep an eye on it as I can put weight on it.

Thing is
1. I don’t know whether to get police involved even the paramedics questioned this to themselves and didn’t as they weren’t sure.

. I know I don’t have it on camera but witnesses saw and since this was round the corner. Would it be a good idea for me to get their details if I need too. (If my bikes damaged I probably will have to since I have cycling insurance)
2. Also my ankle/feet still keeps giving way. Which is awkard because I don’t know what to do about my work and volunteering. Since this requires a lot of walking and climbing over fences.?

So I don’t know what you guys think?

Hi @Lulu9101112 ,

Sorry to hear of your accident. However low BGs whist operating a vehicle (in this case a pushbike.) can be a danger to other road users, pedestrians as well as yourself.
If this come to light in a paramedics log report of the incident, you may find find yourself (at least.) partly to blame? Regarding impaired cognitive recognition to react to a potential hazard.

Please test before cycling & be safe out there. :)

Reactions: jjraak