Glucose levels have gone crazy!

Tugba

Hello all,

I have been diabetic for 5.4 years now and am having some very high glucose readings.

2 nights ago I had a hypo and treated it as normal, BG was 20 at around 4am. Again this morning I had pancakes, took my normal dose of insulin and BG was 20 again. I subsequently had dinner and took 8 units for a meal I would normally take 3/4 and be fine. 2 hours later my BG is 5.8.

What could this be? I feel so drowsy and have a constant headache at the back of my head

Thank you.

Tugba

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tested for ketones, are you type one diabetic?
If you have a headache and feel poorly phone 111 for more advice if in the UK
If not in the UK go to your local ER
Hope you feel better very soon

Tugba

Have you tested for ketones, are you type one diabetic?
If you have a headache and feel poorly phone 111 for more advice if in the UK
If not in the UK go to your local ER
Hope you feel better very soon

Hey, yes I am type 1 and tested negative for ketones. Do you think I should still call 111?

D

Deleted Account

There are many things that affect our bg. What we eat is only part of the equation.
For example, our bg can be affected by alcohol, medication, stress, illness, exercise, pain, weather, time of day, month, year temperature, lack of sleep,...
If you are unwell (such as your headache) or stressed by your hypo and recent high readings your bg may rise.

Reactions: Tugba

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Other things to check
1) injection sites - if overused they may develop lipohypertrophy and not absorb the insulin correctly.
2) insulin and pens (assuming you're on MDI, if a pump you've probably checked all this already). Make sure they are all working correctly, change the insulin cartridges to be on the safe side.
3) Could you have been on an extended honeymoon period which has now ended?

Most likely you've caught a (non-diabetes-related) illness of some sort, which is messing up your sugars, but as @helensaramay says there can be lots of causes. Often you never find out the cause for sure. The drowsiness and headache could be the cause or the result of the high blood sugars but they don't sound right. And if your blood sugars remain high you need to keep checking for ketones.

Here's a link to the DAFNE sick day rules, as supplied by @Juicyj
http://www.dafne.uk.com/uploads/224... day rules - Standard.pdf?0.05989376025650173

Reactions: Tugba and Juicyj

Tugba

Thank you all for the suggestions. I spoke with a dr and he told me to see my GP if this continues. I haven’t experienced this before so I’m hoping it was a short-term thing!