Ketobabe19

Hi I am insulin resistant I have pcos and high blood sugars I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in October last year i was put on gabapentin which made me put 2 stone in weight on in 2 short month I decided to come off gabapentin. And start keto diet as had been on it previously since starting amitriptyline my bllod sugars are high and can't seem to get my blood ketones above 0.6 no matter if I fast 20hr and stick to keto like a religion my weight is not shifting and the ketones and blood glucose is out of whack before taking this medication my ketones would rise great I've stopped taking the medication to see if I can control the blood sugars and ketones I am still taking 2000mg of metformin and my antidepressants but not sure what else I can take for the nerve pai. In my hands :'( I really want keto to work for me as I previously lost 3st on it in 2017 any advice would be great as I'm loosing the will :(

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Welcome to the forum
I have ? Fibromyalgia and inflammatory arthritis and are on gabapentin plus other meds
You have my sympathy with the pain, I gained loads of weight to.
I am lowering my carbs and losing weight
I can't manage without the gabapentin
Have you tried drugs like painkillers or anti-inflammatories?
Tramadol helps my pain as does fentanyl patches
The pain highers my blood sugars
Hope you feel better soon
Take care

Ketobabe19

Thankyou for your reply I do have codiene and naproxen but it dont prevent the pain in my arms and hands naproxen caused a miscarriage last May so try not to take it as I have degenerative disk disease and hypermobility as well and that is what the naproxen is for I honestly feel so low I was doing so well and now feel the ametriptaline is preventing me from loosing weight even being strict keto low carb my last blood test showed 5 on the inflammation markers and was told they were high because I had put weight on which I feel is not true I know being insulin resistant can cause problems but I also suffer with false hypos and high blood sugars which causes giddiness if I'm not careful I'm 31 and I feel like I'm falling apart :'(

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Sorry I can't give you any advice except to tell you of my experiences. It took over a year for me to stop the Amitriptyline that I had been taking for fifteen years but slowly I managed to do it. I have been able to reduce the dosage of Gabapentin by almost half and plan to stop taking Naproxen by the end of this year if possible, which means I will be able to give up the Lanzoprazole too. This I firmly believe has happened because of my diet but it was a painfully slow process (two years).
I hope that you have access to an understanding and up-to-date pain management team as I do, it makes all the difference. Good Luck.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Ketobabe19,
Sorry to gear of your troubles.
There is a youtube video with Dr Paul Mason talking about iron deficiency as a reason for low carb/keto diets not helping to reducecweight. Something prehaps to dicuss with your doctor.
Also there is a substance called PEA, not listed as a pharmaceutical, so not pushed by pharmaceitucal companies. It is said to be helpful to some with pain and might also help some with fibromyalgia/CFS related BP troubles.
A company called iHerb, closest branch ? belgium sell it. I do not have the references but if you type PEA into thevquestion box of Forum page there may be some references in past threads.

Ketobabe19

Yes I have naproxen but it caused a miscarriage last year so as much as I want and need to take it I'm so scared incase I fall pregnant again my doctors are really difficult won't give out any other pain releif told me there isn't anything else I've tried the gabapentin and put 2st on in 2 month :( I'll just try and work on it thankyou to everyone for helping xx
Sorry I can't give you any advice except to tell you of my experiences. It took over a year for me to stop the Amitriptyline that I had been taking for fifteen years but slowly I managed to do it. I have been able to reduce the dosage of Gabapentin by almost half and plan to stop taking Naproxen by the end of this year if possible, which means I will be able to give up the Lanzoprazole too. This I firmly believe has happened because of my diet but it was a painfully slow process (two years).
I hope that you have access to an understanding and up-to-date pain management team as I do, it makes all the difference. Good Luck.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Yes I have naproxen but it caused a miscarriage last year so as much as I want and need to take it I'm so scared incase I fall pregnant again my doctors are really difficult won't give out any other pain releif told me there isn't anything else I've tried the gabapentin and put 2st on in 2 month :( I'll just try and work on it thankyou to everyone for helping xx
Yeah, the Gabapentin Munchies, Gaba is very well known to block satiety signals but I have noticed a lessening of this side effect on a lower dose.
My condolences on your loss, such a very sad event.