What do you use?

liklejojo

Hi all,

Just wondered really - what does everyone use to get rid of the sticky black bits left from cannula changes??

I end up rubbing at it and picking it and I go all red! And when that doesn't work I just look like a patchwork of old cannula sites....

sugar2

I don't tend to get the sticky bits..I always change teh cannula before my bath...so I can have a cannula free 1/2 hour whilst being in the bath, the stickyness jsut comes off there.

I use flexlink. Not sure if that makes a difference though!

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
I use rapid-D sets which i find are VERY sticky.. I use lift plus to get them off which works a treat..

I still have the odd black sticky bit, i spray some lift plus on the end of a cotton bud and rub it off gently, comes off really easy so no red marks :)

I used to scrub it in the shower before it occured to me! ouchy!

Hazza

We use Hollister universal remover wipes, which we get from the doctors on prescription, so free.
I would ask your GP if they will prescribe them for you.
They are very good and make removing the cannula much easier, we squeeze the wipe to soften the adhesive on the cannula and they just lift straight out, then use the rest of the wipe to remove the sticky stuff. Brilliant.

Harry

iHs

liklejojo said:
Hi all,

Just wondered really - what does everyone use to get rid of the sticky black bits left from cannula changes??

I end up rubbing at it and picking it and I go all red! And when that doesn't work I just look like a patchwork of old cannula sites....

Like ebony I also use Lift Plus spray to remove the actual set and also use an alcohol wipe to remove any set outline left on the skin especially if I am wearing black jeans for example.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use either a cotton bud dipped in baby oil or LiftPlus spray, which I have on prescription. I can't use the LiftPlus if the new set is too near the old one as it loosens the new one (might be just my bad aim!!) so then I use the baby oil.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We use UNI-SOLVE wipes which we get from Animas with all the cannulas and cartridges. I asked our GP for it on prescription but she couldn't find it on her system. We find the wipes work better than the Lift Plus spray both at removing the sticky plaster of the cannula and the sticky patch that is left behind. If my daughter tries to rub the sticky patch off with soapy water and a sponge, or picks at it then she also ends up with a red patch.

spideog

I use Skin-Tac wipes before putting the canula in, due to slight sensitivity to the glue on the canula sticky pad and just to be extra sure that it all stays in place when getting hot and sweaty when running. I then use the Uni-Solve wipes to take it off again and they basically just fall out with a minimal bit of persuasion then.

Don't get them on prescription as such, but just request from Animas with my orders and then the DSN at the hospital gets sent the bill with all the other items. :)

liklejojo

Thanks guys, I'll try them all and see which works best for me, although quite proud today there are no sticky black bits yeey! :D

Unicornz

liklejojo said:
Hi all,

Hi Liklejojo, a bit of surgical spirit works a real treat! That's what I use to get rid of my sticky bits and it's not expensive at all either!