Prediabetes How to gain weight and build muscle with prediabetes

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Mbaker, thanks for your references, I will look into them.
Btw, regarding the blood sugar spikes, my GP actually suggested I take metformin, which he said is relatively safe. Metformin does lower the spike a bit, but I can't stand the side effect of it which is from upset stomach to diarrhea :meh:. I'm curious about yor method tho' :)
Hi @jefff if your kidneys are ok then metformin is an option, but it can also interfere be responsible for up to 30% of Type 2's having vitamin B12 deficiency. I was automatically put on this drug, and took myself off. My method raises as I said IGF-1 which in the wrong context (high circulating insulin for long periods of time, with high blood sugars) is a breeding ground to accelerate cancerous growths on the wrong hand, and conversely great for muscle growth. Please reduce your glucose spikes.

I have just used my method to allow me to respond to you, as I said I would not reply unless I increased my deadlift 1 rep max from 180 kg to 195kg - so I did, with good form (so I have to thank you for helping me get within 5kg of my goal, which is part of a bigger target). This is my main weapon and the pillar of my method i.e. mental belief and strength, combined with visualisation and physical preparation. So simplistically I focus on power lifting:

1. Bar Bell Bench Press
  2. Bar Bell Deadlift
  3. Bar Bell Squat
I have been doing this seriously for less than a year, as it was said that this is dangerous for Type 2's with high blood pressure - mine has gone down from 140 / 78 to 120 / 72 (but I do walk as well and suggest testing) I have focused on technique and consistency. When I train, I concentrate on time under tension with the minimal amount of recovery time. I will drop down the weight to around 40% more than body weight for the deadlift and squat and do 20 continuous reps, so cyclic style training. Sometimes I do 3 x 10, others 5 x 5. This concentrates on strength, but you can adjust this to muscle building by hitting hypotrophy; I would suggest about 60% of your one rep max, and stopping the exercise 1, rep before fatigue on 2 separate training days 3 days apart. In between if you are motivated either do machine based exercises, body weight, walking or a couple of circuits.

Before I get into the routine, I do around 10 minutes of Karate basic technique punches and kicks, getting progressively harder. I used to do the stair climber. Warm up is important for minimising injury, I also use this time to build aggression and get in the zone (this is just my personal thing, due to my internal competitiveness).

You will need to fuel with quality protein such as beef, no need for any of the traditional body building pre-post stuff, just real food, clean hydration, stretching and quality sleep. It is important to allow tendons to adjust, the meat bias improves strength exponentially. I am doing LCHP mainly and flirt with LCHF and carnivore.

D

Deleted Account

Also, even if by any chance they took the same amount of insulin, they will have different levels of insulin resistance.
Whilst people with type 1 could experience insulin resistance, I would expect this to be rare for someone with type 1 doing regular exercise.
Type 1 is an auto immune condition not related to insulin resistance.
As for the amount of insulin they take, I do not understand why that is relevant. There are multiple things which dictate insulin doses such as food eaten, weight, stress, illness, exercise and more.

Reactions: 1spuds

jefff

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst people with type 1 could experience insulin resistance, I would expect this to be rare for someone with type 1 doing regular exercise.
Type 1 is an auto immune condition not related to insulin resistance.
As for the amount of insulin they take, I do not understand why that is relevant. There are multiple things which dictate insulin doses such as food eaten, weight, stress, illness, exercise and more.

@helensaramay thanks for pointing that out. I hope you are referring to the same study that @ert and I were discussing. I was just thinking that the study here (http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/36/3/537) might have still left out some contributing factors important to the experimentation as it also states in the conclusion "The mechanisms for the more dramatic reduction in blood glucose levels during aerobic versus resistance exercise are unclear...". Being a layman on this matter, I could only guess. But I think we could agree on the fact that not even an experienced T1D can measure the exact correction dose after each exercise or after each meal (which in the context of the study, then affected the resulting graphs).

jefff

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @jefff if your kidneys are ok then metformin is an option, but it can also interfere be responsible for up to 30% of Type 2's having vitamin B12 deficiency. I was automatically put on this drug, and took myself off. My method raises as I said IGF-1 which in the wrong context (high circulating insulin for long periods of time, with high blood sugars) is a breeding ground to accelerate cancerous growths on the wrong hand, and conversely great for muscle growth. Please reduce your glucose spikes.

I have just used my method to allow me to respond to you, as I said I would not reply unless I increased my deadlift 1 rep max from 180 kg to 195kg - so I did, with good form (so I have to thank you for helping me get within 5kg of my goal, which is part of a bigger target). This is my main weapon and the pillar of my method i.e. mental belief and strength, combined with visualisation and physical preparation. So simplistically I focus on power lifting:

1. Bar Bell Bench Press
  2. Bar Bell Deadlift
  3. Bar Bell Squat
I have been doing this seriously for less than a year, as it was said that this is dangerous for Type 2's with high blood pressure - mine has gone down from 140 / 78 to 120 / 72 (but I do walk as well and suggest testing) I have focused on technique and consistency. When I train, I concentrate on time under tension with the minimal amount of recovery time. I will drop down the weight to around 40% more than body weight for the deadlift and squat and do 20 continuous reps, so cyclic style training. Sometimes I do 3 x 10, others 5 x 5. This concentrates on strength, but you can adjust this to muscle building by hitting hypotrophy; I would suggest about 60% of your one rep max, and stopping the exercise 1, rep before fatigue on 2 separate training days 3 days apart. In between if you are motivated either do machine based exercises, body weight, walking or a couple of circuits.

Before I get into the routine, I do around 10 minutes of Karate basic technique punches and kicks, getting progressively harder. I used to do the stair climber. Warm up is important for minimising injury, I also use this time to build aggression and get in the zone (this is just my personal thing, due to my internal competitiveness).

You will need to fuel with quality protein such as beef, no need for any of the traditional body building pre-post stuff, just real food, clean hydration, stretching and quality sleep. It is important to allow tendons to adjust, the meat bias improves strength exponentially. I am doing LCHP mainly and flirt with LCHF and carnivore.

Hi @Mbaker, thanks for getting back to me with your interesting method. Btw, have you ever taken notes on how your blood sugar reacts to every step of the exercises and how your BG reacts hourly after that? Also, do you exercise AFTER or BEFORE meal?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @Mbaker, thanks for getting back to me with your interesting method. Btw, have you ever taken notes on how your blood sugar reacts to every step of the exercises and how your BG reacts hourly after that? Also, do you exercise AFTER or BEFORE meal?
I have in the past performed loads of testing. As I did so much I can generalise my results. I found that I would get post workout blood glucose rises after any type of exercise, which would ultimately go lower and produce along with diet normalised fbg and HbA1c. It is normal even in non-diabetics to have the liver dump glucose, as we have placed a demand on the system; if one is worried then exercise would need to be kept in the fat burning zone, which usually has a lower impact. As exercise is great for reducing insulin resistance I would give it some time to see what the longer term results are in terms of peaks and fbg.

I tend to exercise before and after a meal due to my schedule. If I am doing 2 meals a day, then I would have done 2 x 50 push-ups, usually gone for a 45 minute walk, then some weights. On OMAD I would tend to get the minimal and serious training sessions in before eating. I like to cover each meal with at least a walk as this lowers spikes and bg for anyone. I don't think it really matters too much when, at an amateur level, just consistency.

I need to thank you again, I hit my deadlift goal of 200 kg (made sure I captured this on video). I have promised myself not to attempt to go beyond this at least in the short to mid term.

Reactions: jefff

jefff

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As exercise is great for reducing insulin resistance I would give it some time to see what the longer term results are in terms of peaks and fbg.
Good point, @Mbaker! Most of the time I forgot the patience and consistency factors :facepalm: