Protein Shake/Supplement for Muscle Building

joelcam

Re: Protein Shake/Supplement for Muscle Building.

Yeah, I was suprised myself but when I look back at pics from the summer I can't believe the shape I was actually in - starting back tonight as it goes...it was not bulk I put on just increases in muscle mass, hence me being quite happy with the results! T1 is a pain in the @ss though, especially when you feel the need to eat everything within a mile due to working out so often....good luck and hope your back gets better quickly.

cookmysock

hey, i am also wanting to gain muscle size, i go to the gym about 4 times a week and have been taking Maximuscle Progain extreme.
its has 2g of sugar per serving in it (which is the slightly higher than just the regular progain (1.8g), however from what i can find both these weight/muscle gain shakes have much lower amounts of sugar in them per serving than others on the market)
it does however have 65.6g of carbs per serving

the choclate one tastes pretty nice aswell :D

If you find any different shakes with lower carbs and sugar in it, give me a shout cus id also appreciate it.

cookmysock

for maximuscle progain extreme:

Nutrition Information

Per 1 serving = 125g (2 scoops)
Energy 508Kcal
Protein 41.2g
Carbohydrate (complex) 65.6g
Of which sugars 2g
Fibre 6.9g
Fats 11.3g
Of which saturates 4.8g
Sodium 0.1g
Phospholipids 1.9g
MCTs 3.1g
EFAs 2.5g
Creatine monohydrate 3g
Glutamine Peptides 3g
HMB (Enzymatic Metabolites of Leucin) 3g
Orotic acid 2.1mg

would have been easier to do that the first time :/ haha

face990

Dislikes
Not being able to eat pizza
HI cookmysock.
Are you type 1 or type 2. would be very interested to hear how Progain affects your sugar levels.
Are you looking for weight gainers or protein shakes?

As a Keen exercise and Nutrition enthusiast I have discovered it is not so much the calories that you consume but the quality of calories.
I would also recommend checking the ingredients, as most complex carbs in these type of drinks, are far from complex enough for a diabetic.

AlextheScot

Hi everyone,

I just wondered if any of you find you have to take insulin against these protein shakes owing tothe high level of carbohydrate/sugars in them?

I have been type 1 for 20yrs+ but have never tried supplementing my workout with protein shakes. I use the basel/bolus insulin system to manage control. Thinking protein shakes might be a good way of getting my muscle mass up a bit but don't want to sacrifice bloodsugar control.

any advice appreciated.

Alex

face990

Dislikes
Hi Alex
Protein shakes are excellent for us diabetics, and regularly supplement my diet with them.
I would highly recommend taking one pre workout and within 1 hour post workout, you will find that you will progress much faster this way.

A good protein shake should contain nothing more than protein and possibly some form of artificial sweetner, but stay away from weight gain drinks if you are looking to avoid carbs.

I would recommend Optimum Nutritions gold standard whey, but there are many more to choose from.

Fallenstar

Hi Alex
This might not help but it might be interesting and something for you to look into. I'm a Type 1 diabetic and do ultra Marathon and Fell running . I do an average mileage of 90 miles per week. A few years back when I was just doing maintenance runs ie 5/6 miles I was starting my runs with a lot lower sugar levels,ie between 10/12. I lost a lot of weight at this time and was very thin..too thin.
Since doing the high mileage and hill work , I need to set off with my blood sugars well up into the teens and dwindle them down more,ie between 15/18.....now even though I have increased my mileage I have got muscles on my muscles and my whole physique has changed beyond belief....sometimes not the best look for a chick,lol.
I don't know if you have read about the "Cortisol effect" I'm no expert but I do know to build muscle big and fast that body builders artificially block this hormone because it has a Katabolic effect on muscle. Look at any one with Cushions they have very poor muscle and a lot of belly fat. Also people on Cortico steroids, ie Predisone.
Well I have been tested as having low cortisol now and I know that when you exercise with high blood sugar which I do for at least 6/7 miles of my long runs every day, it blocks Cortisol.
I'm sure this is why I now carry the physique of a sprinter instead of a long distance runner, it the Cortisol manipulation (unintentional on my part) that is being carried out . My Endo has backed this up.
I'm not saying start messing with the steroids but you could try working out with a slightly higher blood sugar, just while you lift the weights and also there are herbal supplements that can inhibit Cortisol...which is not the best hormone to encourage in large amounts anyway..it's the stress one and does us no good at all in high levels.
These serious body builders manipulate their whole endocrine system just to the benefit of getting some muscle but end up in a serious mess with Addisons and all sorts of problems when the Adrenals have shriveled up to the size of peanuts....not the only glands that can shrivel either with steroid miss use I hear...Why oh why!! all for a few muscles!
Take a look on line for a natural Cortisol blocker and work out a bit higher. I can assure you it did it for me and to be honest has been more of a curse than a benefit.

face990

Dislikes
Hi fallenstar. Very interesting reading,
I am a little confused by your statement tht high sugars block cortisol
As i was under the impression that when in a state of high sugar levels your body can not take in the nutrients needed and thinking that it is starving begins to break down fat and muscle for energy, in turn having the same affect as cortisol does on the body but without any benefits of the break down.
Could there be any other reason for you Increase in muscle... e.g change in diet etc.?
Either way I May try this with my heavy weight training sessions and see if it actually works.
Also how do you break through the feelings of lethargy and tiredness if you start training at such high sugars.

Cheers
Andy

minitata

I use the My protein Whey powder, unflavoured. It's got very few carbs in it, but mixes well. I have a protein shake as a meal replacement in an evening very often.

MTT

Fallenstar

Hey Andy

Like I say I'm no expert but was really quiet desperate at one stage to find some answers to why I was building so much muscle, my whole body shape was changing and changing fast :shock:

I had to have an ATCH test due to low cortisol, when my low Cortisol problems started this was when I started gaining all the muscle, so I did a fair bit of reading and there is the link between low Cortisol and the distribution of muscle mass changing in the body....this seemed to be what was happening with me .
I know I was doing a lot longer distances but I was really bulking up, not like some of my long distance buddies who tend to get a thinner more wiry physique the more they train. I really do have more of a sprinter's physique now if I was to compare myself ....but I can still cover the ground pretty effortlessly so all's good, it's just I would like to achieve a more wiry physique due to my own aesthetics really...I'm a vain bu**er :lol:

I think if you run continuous high blood sugars you will run into breaking down muscle, your body will always choose fat to breakdown first for energy if it does not have food for fuel, I was told then it move onto muscle.Thankfully I do have a nice covering of fat so I'm sure that will go before my muscle because obviously the heart is one big muscle so there is no way I would want that to start getting gobbled up :shock:
For short term high intensity exercise the adrenals pump out Cortisol and obviously adrenalin and apparently high glucose in the blood is a cortisol blocker which helps with muscle growth when you are working them. I understand that is why the bodybuilders who manipulate the Cortico's go for a high carb meal and miss their steroid dose....so I have read, VERY naughty!
This did explain to me why even though my diet had not changed and I had gone from more sprint based, interval ,shorter duration runs (with lower BG) ,to more longer endurance runs with higher blood sugars for the first 6/7 miles (BS between 14/17) I built muscle and a lot of it. I had to stop with the weights as I got really muscly very quickly on my arms so now I just run.
Obviously all anecdotal evidence but it did kind of make sense to me and I saw it happen but we are all individuals who's endocrine system is different and will react differently to different regimes, so it is a mater of experimenting and finding what works for you.
I've got used to my new curves now and I've learned to love them because there is no way I could give up on the endurance running now.
I do sometimes feel like I am running through treacle for the first few miles if I have had the high for a bit, but to be honest I have got it down to a fine art to get my glucose in the perfect range for me just after breakfast so I hit the roads and run it down pretty quickly so I'm not languishing in the high BS range and doing any real damage....and to be honest when I have higher BS and pumped up for a run/race I'm like a stall kept race horse...I'm bouncing off the walls :lol:
What's your sport Andy? and how do you find your glucose control when working out?

face990

Dislikes
Very Interesting Fallenstar I may have to investigate this a little more.
As far as sports, well i guess you could say its weight training... i have no desire to be an immobile slab of muscle but want a good balance of muscle and agility.
I must admit I have just got back into training as i Gave it up when i was diagnosed type 1 about 3 years ago and have been nervous about going back, but have finally given my self a kick up the ass and got back on it.
as for blood control it is usually pretty good i usually start off around 9 and down to around 4-5 by the time I finish, but this is with a good hard weights session and no cardio.
I may try what you have suggested but with an added cardio session to start to really kick start my metabolism before some heavy weights.
I will try this and see what happens with my blood sugars

Fallenstar

Immobile slab of muscle :lol: Yes, why would anyone want to go for a look like that is beyond me but aesthetics are a very individual thing, so horses for courses, but when people want to manipulate their bodies to the detriment of their long term health....well the mind boggles :shock:

Good for you Face for getting back into the weights, there really is no reason at all why Type 1 Diabetes should hold you back from doing anything , so please don't ever think that way or don't ever let anyone else tell you this. I know when I was diagnosed 20 years ago I got pushed out from my job I had been in 5 years and my Boss told me on the QT that he didn't think I would be able to do my physically demanding job due to my Diabetes because his sister had it and she was bed bound on most days :evil: I know I should of taken it to a tribunal but I was young and was early diagnosed so I had enough on my plate, I'm sure you will understand.......Roll on 10 years and I bet I could run his sorry Ass off the face of this Earth :lol: anyday!! and hold down ANY job while doing it :lol:
It really is about being flexible and making adjustments to your regime to make your goal's obtainable, whatever they may be....The cardio sounds a good idea but I would keep it in the realms of resistance training, ie interval sprints for 10/15 mins or a steep hill walk if you don't want to run. Try your sugars at 14 for the extra workout...it really will not harm you short term if they come down steadily throughout your workout but you will need to test regular to see what your profile is during the cardio . Don't be worried about starting your sugars a bit high so long as you get them down at the end within your target range, it's better than having a load of glucose during the work out and getting the rebound effect of this later on ....well so I found but like I have said we are all different so it really is about testing and finding what works for you.
Just keep it up Lad and I admire your resolve :D and I'm glad you have decided to get back at it.

PS sorry we sort I sort of hijacked this thread which is about Protein shakes....I use Nutrisport protein and carb recovery drink after a very long run....very tasty and does the job :D

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Before training if I am hungry I put 1 small carton of no sugar fruit yoghurt (Irish yoghurts or Activa low fat or Shape zero) in a mixer glass, add water and a spoon of pure soya protein powder Holland and barretts or GNC own and shake it up. Taste delicious and minimum carbs. However I am a Type 2 controlling on diet only.

Eddy01

Nice information, good to know that about this, I also drink protein shake daily before
exercise and i got positive results.

Michealwolf

Hi friend ... as you are type 1 diabetic patient .There is a lot of info on the net if you search 'Diabetes and protein shakes' but you should really talk to a dietitian who could advise you the best...

fordyford

Hello Kash and everyone on here. I know a bit about building muscle insulin is 1 of the best things you can take for building muscle I was told this when I started training by my doctor and since then went from 8st to 18.9st and I’m now 16st benching 200kg shoulder pressing 250kg and running 15 mile a week boxing judo and Thai boxing I’m no spring chicken I’ve been training for 20 years or more and still give the kids a run for their money.
I have 1 protein shake a month if I feel like 1 unless your taking steroids all that protein won't do you any good all you will do is pass it out one way or another and when you go for your check up they will think you have kidney problems and panic will set in then they realise you go to the gym and take protein shakes and mass building drinks and the panic stops. to build mass muscle lower your reps but increase your weight if you cant do 6 reps its to heavy if you can do 8 or more its to light put more weight on and eat good food and lots of it creatine is the only thing I would take. If your going to have creatine don’t buy it from Holland and barrett get a good 1 the more you spend on it the better it will be. Next time your in a gym look around find out who is pushing big weight and go over and ask them how and what they did to get their power. If you have any questions just ask I can talk about training all day and night. I’ve been diabetic 30 years just so you know I’m in the gang to :thumbup:

arjunasfan

"I may try what you have suggested but with an added cardio session to start to really kick start my metabolism before some heavy weights."

-- so is cardio the best way to boost metabolism?

vxrich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi mate I use NRG Fuel protein powder. I prefer the berry flavour. Hardly any carbs and its quite nice. Not read all the above posts but have you tried eating small amounts but every 2hrs? Been doing this for a couple of years now and I find it improves my control,training,metabolism and fat loss. If you would like to see my diet and training plan let me know and I'll send it to you

Punk1

I use pro plex, it states low in sugar! Mainly natural sugars (fructose) contains no iron, anyone know if this is ok? If not!! What do you reccomned?? Can't have any iron at all ! Ta