Understanding blood sugar levels

Carolanne58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
my HbA1c last June was 65 mol this June it’s 78 I wasn’t told to monitor my blood sugar last year just take 2 sakkarto twice a day this year went back for checkup it was 78 I was for a week on gliclazide and a meter and strips and monitor 4 times a day but when I went back a week later the blood sugar was too low at 4 so I was taken off the new tablet target level is 58 as my monitor reading is different from the blood test at the clinic I’m confused my reading this morning was 6.4 is that still to high thanks

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you tell me everything you ate yesterday please. Sometimes we can tweak things for you.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you give us a run down on what exactly you are eating? Tell us what you had to eat and drink yesterday for example. We may be able to help you tweak things.

Carolanne58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can you give us a run down on what exactly you are eating? Tell us what you had to eat and drink yesterday for example. We may be able to help you tweak things.
Breakfast 2 weetabix with milk (lunch leftovers casserole no potatoes chicken and veg) dinner pork cooked in slow cooker 2 small roast vegetables) bedtime 1 slice of nimble bread toasted butter

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is not low carb.

I would stay away from any cereals, milk will also add carbs. The skinnier the milk the higher the carbs.

Any bread including nimble should be avoided.

Some people have different responses to veg such as carrots. I can eat a few but need to be careful.

Are you testing before you eat and 2 hours after?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast 2 weetabix with milk (lunch leftovers casserole no potatoes chicken and veg) dinner pork cooked in slow cooker 2 small roast vegetables) bedtime 1 slice of nimble bread toasted butter
Ok so your diet may not be as low carb as you think, depending what level you are aiming for.
For example 2 Weetabix with say 125mls of milk will come to around 30g carbs. My choice of carb level is 30-50g per day others aim for different levels. It may be worth actually adding up how many carbs you are eating per day. Think about any carbs that may not be so obvious, what are you thickening your casserole gravy with? Were there any root veggies in your roasted veggies? Bread isn’t always well tolerated by type 2s.
I gather from your post you are testing in the morning, but you might find it helpful to test before your meals and 2 hours later, this will show you how your food choices are affecting your levels.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is not low carb.

I would stay away from any cereals, milk will also add carbs. The skinnier the milk the higher the carbs.

Some people have different responses to veg such as carrots. I can eat a few but need to be careful.

We really are a double act this morning, aren’t we?! :joyful::hilarious:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Download the mysugr app. Record your food and numbers before and after eating. Don't bother with morning numbers at the moment. At this stage they are of no use to you unless you are a numbers geek.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Instead of breakfast cereal, try something made with eggs but no carbs. Mushroom/cheese omelette, bacon and eggs, boiled egg with cold meats, full fat Greek yogurt with a couple of strawberries chopped up or half a dozen raspberries. Personally I just have a soft boiled egg with a cup of tea and that lasts me till lunch time.

I would also try not to eat supper, especially if it contains carbs. If you must have something, a small handful of nuts or a piece of cheese would be better, but better still is nothing after finishing your dinner except water or a cup of tea/coffee.

M

Member496333

Just as a frame of reference for your consideration - that’s as much carbohydrate as some of us eat in a working week. You can try going a lot lower if you want. It does take some time to get one’s head around it all though, and of course ultra-low may not suit you, but it will definitely help with your wayward glycemic control if you’re able to thrive on it.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The hospital test of 78mmol/mol is a hb1ac, a different test and scale to your meter blood glucose level at 6.4mmol/l. The first is the average of the last three months approximately. The meter you have shows you a level right here and now.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html These are the advised and diagnostic levels for your meter and this https://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html explains the hb1ac

I agree with the posters above your diets may not be as low carb as you think or as low as would give the biggest reductions in numbers. Testing each meal as described by @Rachox would give you a meaningful demonstration of the effect food has on you personally.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Carolanne58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is not low carb.

Before each meal just tested before lunch it was 5.4

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Before each meal just tested before lunch it was 5.4
Good start, now test two hours after the first bite, you are looking for a rise of no more than 2 mmols, then you’ll know if lunch was suitable.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The key is to testing 2 hours after eating. You are looking for a rise before and after of 2 or less. This tells you specifically how your meal has affected you. Your numbers before eating look great but something is keeping your hba1c high and you need to find out what it is.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You are not wrong in regarding your diet as low carb, and healthy - there is a lot of poor advice around - but the Weetabix - or nay other cereal or grain is not going to help at all - particularly in the mornings, if you happen to be more resistant to insulin then - I still eat only 10 gm maximum carbs with my first meal, and many others report the same thing, insulin resistance falling throughout the day.
If you chose low carb veges to eat with your dinner then you can have a more satisfying meal and not have the bread later on.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Add to that don’t be scared of fat to fill you up

Carolanne58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The key is to testing 2 hours after eating. You are looking for a rise before and after of 2 or less. This tells you specifically how your meal has affected you. Your numbers before eating look great but something is keeping your hba1c high and you need to find out what it is.

I tested my bloods 2 hours after my lunch it was 6.8 is that ok