migraine aura

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
not had one in three years then suffered one this morning, frightens me and i feel sick now .
anyone else get them ?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I get them periodically too - mostly just the visual disturbances (almost like strobe effects) but very rarely progresses to painful headache any more, especially if I take ibuprofen as soon as I get the visual warning. Mine usually seem to happen after a period of stress followed by relief from stress. Have never been able to pinpoint to any food, except a lot of sugar alcohols sometimes involved. I've only been a periodic sufferer, not chronic. Had my very first at age 18 on the very day I got my higher school certificate results - scarily, I was riding pillion on a motor bike when it hit :(

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Same, never been able to connect to certain foods, i'm so frightened right now , feel nauseous and keep running to toilet . I'm scared it will come back. Slight headache now . I have eye floaters and keep thinking they are the start of the aura again. I really fear them .

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get them occasionally but it is always due to being extremely tired. It is only distal disturbances but no pain. They are horrid. I can only get rid of it by sleeping.

Reactions: Knikki

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep life long sufferer. Full aura, nearly blinded, numbness, headache from hell, nausea, vomiting, light sensitivity, sound sensitivity the works. Began at puberty, was regular til pregnancies, calmed down til it hit peri menopause and has really ramped up this last 6 months. Never found a food trigger. Post stress and hormones seem to be it for me. Desperately hoping that the other side of menopause will go quiet.

At the very first sign (eyes/vision) I take aspirin, ibruprofen or naproxen. I have tried a variety of prescription Triptan meds too and have anti nausea ones as well. They work much better with the nsaid than alone. If I don’t get to it in time I can be bed ridden for anything between 1 and 3 days. Treated I can get that down to a few hours and avoid the worst of the headach and nausea. Have a “hangover” the following day though.

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Just got back from the doctors it was so bad and i nearly passed out in the waiting room had to be taken to the nurse room , vision test was good , blood pressure temp all good but racing pulse. I started to cry uncontrollably and the nurse did a test to see if I am depressed and it was sky high , the doctor checked my heart and lungs and he wants me back next Monday to see how things are . He's getting me an appointment to see a counsellor for my depression and wants me to start on beta blockers if no better next week

Gannet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Showbiz
I get the visual disturbances, not worked out why as they can be quite random. Tend to get a zig zag pattern round the outside of my vision, don't last long and don't take anything for them.

Exactly the same for me. They seem to come randomly, but if I get one, I get several over a week or so, then a long gap of weeks or months before the next one. I don't drive, so it's not a major problem.
(I think it would be distracting if I was driving.)

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Exactly the same for me. They seem to come randomly, but if I get one, I get several over a week or so, then a long gap of weeks or months before the next one. I don't drive, so it's not a major problem.
(I think it would be distracting if I was driving.)
Yes its why i won't drive in fear of getting them , and do you feel really down when you have had migraine aura ? it makes me fearful that another one will happen but never know when its awful .

Gannet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Showbiz
Yes its why i won't drive in fear of getting them , and do you feel really down when you have had migraine aura ? it makes me fearful that another one will happen but never know when its awful .

No I don't feel down. I do wonder if it is anything to do with diabetes, but sugars don't seem to be too low or high during an attack. The auras have been more frequent since diagnosis about 18 years ago, but I am older after all. I don't get a headache, but my father had disabling migraines so I'm lucky I don't get them.

Reactions: WackyJacky64

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do drive. But if I get one then I can’t, and I do worry about getting stranded somewhere as a result. it hasn’t happened for a while but it did a few times in my younger days. I don’t tend to go too far from home often se days and I do get a window after the visual and numb aura before the headache when I can dash home if it’s not too far.

I feel “off” before but not strongly or distinctly enough to know its a migraine coming. And after I feel steamrollered and low for at least a day.