Training

lordmidginald

Hi, just wondering if someone can answer a question for me....

I was diagnosed T1 in feb 11 and have pretty good control using novorapid and lantus. I'm starting to get into cycling to keep my fitness going and maintain wt control, and have been reducing my post training novorapid levels without causing any hypos so far!

Is it a good idea to train for say 2 hours, stop for lunch, and then continue for another two hours?

How would the novorapid routine work for this, as I have read somewhere that you should wait about 2 hours after injecting before training.

Thanks,

Midge

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Midge,

It really is a game of trial and error, I would suggest you reduce your novo at lunch and test over the following hours to see what effect this has on your bg, yes it will mean stopping and starting but will give you a fuller picture of how to adjust your insulin in future, just remember to carry plenty fast act glucose just in case.

Nigel

Snodger

lordmidginald said:
How would the novorapid routine work for this, as I have read somewhere that you should wait about 2 hours after injecting before training.
If you exercise the bit of your body where you've just injected, it can make the insulin work faster/better/however you want to describe it, and can therefore make you go hypo. So for example if I were planning to cycle after my meal, I might try injecting my stomach rather than my thighs.
I wonder if that was what the thing you read was getting at? It's the only reason I can think of behind it. If don't inject into your thighs I would have thought you would be fine exercising straight away - in fact, it would be better to do that then let your blood sugar rise first.

Wendywu

Dislikes
Track running. Drunks. Bigots and intolerance in any form. Bullying.
I am T1 and my chosen sport is endurance rowing. If I am rowing for more than one hour I start to drip feed carbs (in the form of a drink) at the rate of about 5g per half hour depending on pace - the higher the pace, the more carbs I take. Best way to find out what you need is to measure bg before starting and then every half hour, and log the drop. The you know how much you need to take on board if working at that pace.

If rowing for more than 3 hours then I generally don't bother with any bolus injection for the meal preceding the row (count the carbs, so that you know how long they should last you), and I also take the carb drink with me.

Be aware that if your bg is greater than 13 you should take a corrective dose to bring it down to below 13 - it can be dangerous to exercise with bg higher than that because there is a risk of DKA. Having said that, I have done with no ill effects but that was probably more due to luck and ignorance and I shan't be doing it again.

lordmidginald

Thank you for the advice;

I tend to take jelly beans after 30 min from the start and a couple every 15 min during the ride, allowing my BGs to remain 4.5-6. This only seems to works for up to 90 min of a ride and then extra carbs needed, hence the question of stopping mid cycle. As I'm finding out more and more it's all trial and error, but some great points made here, so fingers crossed for the next few sessions!

Midge