Confused

Cinderella56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All

I don't post much on here but love the support and help I have found here and have more advice here that is sensible than from NHS eat well plate …. but wondered if anyone could help today. So after being diabetic for two years and trying low carb or moderate carb about 130g a day I get good results with the SD code free which I fund myself owing to NHS not being interested in BS testing. Usually I get expected results through testing once a day and my HBA1C reflects that. However tonight I got a 13.2 result after a reasonably low carb meal (although it was processed and I usually cook from scratch) .. so tested again after changing lancet (do admit I don't change them every time) and on other hand got 8.5? Then did another finger same hand and got 8.2??

So do not get this at all as usually the same meals do equal similar results depending on how much exercise I have done that day but this has thrown me totally.

???
Thanks

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
This is the problem with testing only in a random fashion. You may have been running higher before your meal, you may be brewing an infection or your meal may have had hidden carbs or non-carbs that you as an individual react negatively to.

I suggest you test appropriately for the next few days to see if this higher than expected reading was a fluke or not.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suggest the first reading was an outlier as the second and third were more or less the same. So I would conclude you were somewhere between 8.2 and 8.5. We all get rogue readings from time to time, especially with the Codefree.

Did you test before you ate? Without that information you have no idea whether the 8.2/8.5 was due to the meal, or whether it was already high before you started. It really pays to be organised with your testing, and test before and again 2 hours after first bite.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
So do not get this at all as usually the same meals do equal similar results depending on how much exercise I have done that day but this has thrown me totally.

As well as what's already been mentioned I think it's worth considering how variable type II diabetes can be. You mention eating 130gms carb per day, that would not be possible for me, we're different.

If you look at what causes type II, it can be not producing the insulin required

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

Apart from what's already been said, insulin production and insulin resistance are both variable. Since lowering my carb intake to < 50gms per day about 6 years ago, my insulin resistance and therefore my HbA1c has changed. The good news for me is that it got worse and then got better.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All

I don't post much on here but love the support and help I have found here and have more advice here that is sensible than from NHS eat well plate …. but wondered if anyone could help today. So after being diabetic for two years and trying low carb or moderate carb about 130g a day I get good results with the SD code free which I fund myself owing to NHS not being interested in BS testing. Usually I get expected results through testing once a day and my HBA1C reflects that. However tonight I got a 13.2 result after a reasonably low carb meal (although it was processed and I usually cook from scratch) .. so tested again after changing lancet (do admit I don't change them every time) and on other hand got 8.5? Then did another finger same hand and got 8.2??

???
Thanks
I use a SD Codefree too, and it is certainly prone to misreads, and your results are consistent with this. The two follow-on readings confirm this but are not proof. Depends on how long a delay between readings, and also there is a possibility of contamination on the first site pushing it up locally. IMO I would take the two follow on readings as being viable,

It is unlikely to be the lancet. Yes there could have been a spot of contaminant on the tip,

But I have found that on occasions I get SD results that are around double the retest values. I myself use two meters so I cross check my readings. Over the years I have found that the SD consistently reads higher than the other meter, even when using other meters as the comparator. On my present set of strips on both meters, the difference is 3 mmol/l but it used to be 1.2 mmol.l when averaged over time. Others on this forum report similar differences, and I suspect it is because the SD uses a different chemistry to the other meters, so responds differently to my blood composition,