Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
I miss something sweet so much I'm really craving at a time when I have to get my hba1c down.

I really enjoy a pepsimax but wondered what the experts think.

I've read they can cause weight gain as the Aspartame shuts off neuro receptors that tell me I'm satiated, so now I'm aware I deal with that.

Grateful for any experiences. Q

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I miss something sweet so much I'm really craving at a time when I have to get my hba1c down.

I really enjoy a pepsimax but wondered what the experts think.

I've read they can cause weight gain as the Aspartame shuts off neuro receptors that tell me I'm satiated, so now I'm aware I deal with that.

Grateful for any experiences. Q
If I have one can in a day I just ensure that I do not have a second. And try and avoid it being an everyday occurrence. I find I have to take a strict approach with myself with things like that. Same for my daughter’s sweets and chocolate, which I have to handle but do not eat at all.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I want a soft drink or a mixer when abroad I normally have Diet Coke as it is the only sugar free drink readily available. On a couple of occasions I have been given Pepsi Max instead but I found it too sweet to drink. This could mean that Diet Coke has less sweetener than Pepsi Max, so might be a better bet.

Reactions: 1spuds

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I guess the question is what ifs your priority right now, the a1c or any risk of potential sweetener related issues?

cireland

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I drink about 2ltrs of Pepsi Max a day have done for the past 10 years. And managed to lose A LOT of weight as well...

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I drink Pepsi Max every day and I find that it actually helps me to not snack unecessarily. When I was first diagnosed I lost 29kgs while drinking it and it didn't affect my bs at all.

Reactions: Kittycat_7_

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
One of the most difficult things for a person to do after being diagnosed with Diabetes is to radically change your diet and quite often your lifestyle. The older you are, the more challenging it is.

So we look for low carb foods, skip just about any food that is white, no sugar added foods (careful with this one as it can be misleading), and diet drinks/pops. For me, I need to have some diet pop occasionally (I use Coke Zero - tried Pepsi Zero but prefer the Coke version). Pepsi Max was removed from the market here in Canada and replaced with Pepsi Zero.

Years ago I used to drink a lot of regular Coca-Cola. Since switching to the less frequent Coke Zero I have not gained weight but lost it. Don't know if that was the main cause of weight loss as I also am on Jardiance for my T2D, and my overall diet and awareness of hi-carb dangers. The combination resulted in a 50 lb (about 3.5 stone) weight loss over about a year plus. My endo now tells me to stop losing weight LOL.

There is controversy over the use of Aspartame as a sweetener. One study says it is harmless unless massively consumed each day, while another says don't take anything with Aspartame.

One caveat is that diet pop (any pop) makes you thirsty so you have a tendency to drink more than you should.

Switched from single-use bottled water (cutting back on plastic waste) to buying a water cooler and refillable water jugs. The water is awesome as Chlorine is removed, reverse osmosis purification, ozone for stabilizing, ultraviolet disinfection, and carbon filtration. Cost is also less than single-use water bottles (in Canada cases of 24 single-use 1/2 litre disposable bottles can be as low as $1.50) and the refillable cooler bottles are less costly.

Liquids are critical as we need to stay hydrated without using hi-sodium drinks like Gatorade (even the no sugar versions), etc. Quite often "no sugar added" foods and beverages have an increased sodium content to compensate.

Last edited: