Starting Low Carb this week

bellabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all
Starting low carb tomorrow. Keen for some words of wisdom and advice before embarking on the journey. i usually eat a lot of carbs at every meal, but due to some serious indulgence recently, I've gained some serious weight, and really want to nip it in the bud, as well as focus more closely on my glycemic control
I'm a type 1
I don't usually eat breakfast during weekdays so will continue with that trend. So just lunch, dinner and snacks.
Anyone else starting low carb from the type 1 community?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @bellabella.

I'm not T1 myself, so won't add too much into the LC discussion, except to say that there are several T1 members who eat reduced carb diets, to varying levels. Do you know what sort of level of carbs you might be planning to reduce to? There are so many and varying views of where low carbing starts or stops. It matters not a jot, but it might just help folks form more considered and appropriate posts to address your query.

I know my colleagues, @Juicyj and @Diakat both watch their diets, but I'd be fibbing if I suggested they would necessarily be Low Carbers. That's my memory failing me, rather that anything they're doing.

I know @Mel dCP and @NicoleC1971 are both low carb enthusiasts, so it'd be good for them to notice your thread, I think. Hopefully, over the course of the day others will drop onto your thread and say hello.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I eat fairly low carb at Dr Bernstein’s recommended 30 g a day - I also don’t eat breakfast! I’m not doing it to lose weight, I’m doing it for BG control, and it’s working really well, my HbA1c is down to 37 from 94 a year ago.

What sort of level of carbs do you want to aim for? You’ll need to reduce your basal pretty much straight away, and keep hypo treatment to hand as you make the change, as you’ll go low a fair bit. I’d recommend starting on a weekend, so that you don’t hypo all over the place at work ;)

If you can tell us a bit more about your insulin regime and doses, general control etc, we can give better advice :)

Reactions: DCUKMod

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi! I am a less strict low carber and reduced my carbs gradually starting with ditching carbs for lunch and my evening meal but allowing a carby Friday. I was quite attached to toast and still am attached to chocolate . When needs must (dinner choice last night was risotto, lasagne or nothing) I enjoy carbs and bolus for them without guilt. However most of the time I find it easy to eat out or modify options at home or in my work canteen. That said, I know MelCP's discipline has paid off with regards to HBA1c results!

As MelCP says how you do it (gentle on ramp) or jump from the high board (30g. and under) is key. It has to be somehhing you can be consistent with or you may not get the benefits of the weight loss or improved control. So what are you prepared to do today and for the next 5 days ? Then see what you are prepared to do for the next week until the new consistent habit gets established.

If used to ;lots of carbs' it will take a while to get your body used to being a fat burner (see Diet Doctor site for newbie advice too). Also if you are on any blood pressure meds be aware that your bp may drop as your body won' hang onto fluid quite so much on a low carb regime.
I did not change basal insulin but obviously bolus will change although don't be surprised to need a little something to cover protein (half of the usual dose).

Lastly you are doing this to lose weight so whilst you can and should eat decent quantities of fat and protein plus non starchy greens etc. if you drink bulletproof coffee and eat fat bombs all day this will slow down the burning of your own stores. So eat until you are satisfied and not beyond hunger! Skipping breakfast is a great way to start and if you are doing it right you should not need to snack or eat more than 2 meals per day and should not feel too hungry.

If you've already started tell us how it is going in week 1!

Reactions: michita

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all
Starting low carb tomorrow. Keen for some words of wisdom and advice before embarking on the journey. i usually eat a lot of carbs at every meal, but due to some serious indulgence recently, I've gained some serious weight, and really want to nip it in the bud, as well as focus more closely on my glycemic control
I'm a type 1
I don't usually eat breakfast during weekdays so will continue with that trend. So just lunch, dinner and snacks.
Anyone else starting low carb from the type 1 community?

I note you posted similar questions before and you are not new to a low carb diet. What do you find it difficult in specific so that we can help ?

Last edited:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I stick with roughly 100-130g most days, but work and family can scupper that if I'm not in control of the food on offer. So not low carb really but manageable for work/exercise/life/number balance.

I do not know if low carb results in weight loss in T1s in the same way as T2s - as it's role there seems to be caught up with insulin resistance.

It is worth reducing carbs a little at a time to see how you go and find satisfying meals that you enjoy as you go.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm a T1 and have been low carbing for a number of years. Lunch is usually salad, an omelette or frittata; dinner is all the stuff I had before, except the carbs swapped for veg. For example, mash potato -> cauli mash, pasta -> spiralised veg, rice -> cauli rice, chips -> butternut squash chips.

Snacks are nuts, cheese, cured meats, olives, 85% dark chocolate.

Booze is spirits with mixers, wine or Skinny lager.

Very straightforward once you find your way with it. The key thing is to just avoid starchy carbs. Makes excellent control easy

Stefans

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I doubt that anyone will have the time, but if you are interested in the whole 'trial' it is here
only what Noakes side said, but still very good material.
I did see it all as it was progressing, but it is 80 or so videos from, 5 to 20+ minutes.
Sorry, I don't know how to post youtube playlists, but it you copy this link and look at the Cape Town Live poster and their playlists you can find them there, this link is only the first video.

bellabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I note you posted similar questions before and you are not new to a low carb diet. What do you find it difficult in specific so that we can help ?
Hi, sorry for the late reply
Yes I've done low carb before with a small amount of weight loss and with really good Blood sugar control
The things I find hardest are
1) boredom of the same foods
2) limited at work due to canteen food
3) as soon as I go away on trips with my friends ( weekends, day trips etx) I have a ' oh what the hell's approach and then indulge on carbs. And it creates a sort of cycle of low carb---> excessive carbs and so on

I do think that the benefits on blood sugar control though outweighs the above so, after much much deliberation I am going to try again but this time a bit differently
1) slow induction process
2) intermittent fasting by skipping breakfast which is the bit I am on at the moment
3) bringing my own lunches to work
4) getting creative with interesting recipes
5) thinking of it as a low carb approach where possible as opposed to an all or nothing style

Reactions: michita