Carnivore Corner

M

Member496333

Built in salty, depending how long you leave them. Great for packed lunches or the like

Well they (regular duck eggs) certainly taste amazing even just heavily salted after cooking, so I definitely believe you. Must be the salt/fat combination given the super fatty large yolks.

I find duck eggs don’t scramble very well though, so will use them only for eating whole in future.

M

Member496333

Is double cream really only 1.6% carbohydrate, or am I misunderstanding something? If this is accurate then I reckon I’ve been doing comfortably less than 5g of carbs per day since starting hypercarnivore. Since Sunday morning, especially, I’ve eaten nothing but animal products, and drank cream in my coffee. Zero vegetables, zero nuts, no chocolate etc. etc. etc. Just meat, organs, dairy and eggs. I will consume some mushrooms this week but they won’t contribute anything?

I realise this may seem like a stoopid question, but for some reason I thought that double cream had a higher carb content than that which I’ve quoted above. Even if I were to drink ten cups of coffee per day, that would only come to 1.6g carbohydrate. Sanity check please...

Still feel amazing, incidentally, and saw a friend earlier this morning who said I am glowing with health, despite my change in diet not being mentioned either before or after :nurse:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is double cream really only 1.6% carbohydrate, or am I misunderstanding something? If this is accurate then I reckon I’ve been doing comfortably less than 5g of carbs per day since starting hypercarnivore. Since Sunday morning, especially, I’ve eaten nothing but animal products, and drank cream in my coffee. Zero vegetables, zero nuts, no chocolate etc. etc. etc. Just meat, organs, dairy and eggs. I will consume some mushrooms this week but they won’t contribute anything?

I realise this may seem like a stoopid question, but for some reason I thought that double cream had a higher carb content than that which I’ve quoted above. Even if I were to drink ten cups of coffee per day, that would only come to 1.6g carbohydrate. Sanity check please...

Still feel amazing, incidentally, and saw a friend earlier this morning who said I am glowing with health, despite my change in diet not being mentioned either before or after :nurse:
Waitrose says 2.6% where are you looking?
but Tesco say 1.6%
Sainsbury 1.5%
M&S 2.6%
The McCance and Widdowson table says 1.7% That's the govt backed one...

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Carnivore data ahoy! In June I’m intending to go ubercarnivore with almost all of my food coming from animal sources. For now, I am going to be testing more frequently in order to get an idea whether or not my protein ingestion is resulting in a lot of insulin release. I intend to make sure that my ketone/glucose ratio stays as close to 1:1 as possible. If the ketones dip significantly then I’m probably eating too much lean muscle. By the way I’m talking about myself only - with a previous history of rampant GNG - and don't wish to debate the merits or downfalls of using protein for energy with regard to others :)

Measured just now, before breakfast in an hour or so;

Ketones 3.8mmol/L
Glucose 4.1mmol/L

Jim, you make me laugh. I absolutely LOVE your approach to it all, no messing, decision made, job done! Please keep us informed. I was at work the other day (in a break) and happened upon an article that mentioned red meat also triggering an insulin response. It was fascinating and I thought of you (!) and your stance on it all being down to insulin response rather than glucose levels. The article went on for ages and it wasn't until the end that I realised it was written by Dr Fung who is often mentioned. I am no biologist but what he said seemed to make a lot of sense.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone got any ideas about timings for hard boiled duck eggs?
I'm reluctant to do much trial and error, on account of ruining them by getting them too far wrong (nothing worse than those overcooked bullets of hens eggs you see sometimes, with grey rings round the yolk).

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jim, you make me laugh. I absolutely LOVE your approach to it all, no messing, decision made, job done! Please keep us informed. I was at work the other day (in a break) and happened upon an article that mentioned red meat also triggering an insulin response. It was fascinating and I thought of you (!) and your stance on it all being down to insulin response rather than glucose levels. The article went on for ages and it wasn't until the end that I realised it was written by Dr Fung who is often mentioned. I am no biologist but what he said seemed to make a lot of sense.

The way I see it, yes, certain proteins cause a significantly higher insulin response than others (eggs and beef being perfect examples). But... that is all I am eating nowadays, on account of my delicate little snowflake guts. And if that is ALL I am eating, then who cares if the steak triggers more insulin than the haddock, or the chicken? It is still less than the carby foods would have done... Heck, it triggers less than a tomato would have have done...

Interestingly (well, it is interesting to me, lol) even on carnivore, I do MUCH better on keto fat to protein macros than on higher protein and lower fat. It just feels right. and nowadays, I can kind of gauge whether I hit those macros by the way I am feeling at the end of the day.
Floppy and just good for watching TV? Didn't hit them.
Active and contemplating a 9pm 5 bucket water change on the aquarium? Yup, hit them fine.

:D

Last edited:
Reactions: KK123
M

Member496333

I'm reluctant to do much trial and error, on account of ruining them by getting them too far wrong (nothing worse than those overcooked bullets of hens eggs you see sometimes, with grey rings round the yolk).

My technique for boiling [all] eggs is to place them submerged in a pan of cold water. Bring the water to the boil and set a timer for three minutes. When the time is up I take all the eggs out, submerge them in a bowl of cold water, and leave them to reach room temperature before peeling. Usually at least an hour. This gives me a wonderful, firm but gooey yolk. Duck eggs are bigger than chicken eggs so come out a little softer. Depending on preference, perhaps an extra thirty seconds of cooking might be ideal.

Reactions: Brunneria
M

Member496333

As an aside, and I hope still related to all things carnivorous, I’ve found hard boiled duck eggs far easier to cleanly peel than chicken eggs. The shells are much tougher, but they crack and slide off with less chance of damaging the egg inside. Perhaps the whites are denser and less prone to splitting and coming away with the shell, but also the separating membrane seems stronger and less likely to tear.

All-in-all I’m now a massive fan of duck’s eggs for boiling purposes :D

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Riverford says 9 minutes.

https://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/view/recipe/duck-eggs-quick-tips

I tend to put room temp eggs in cold water, bring to the boil, realise they've been boiling for an indeterminate time, so remove from the heat. I drain the boiling water, and refill with cold tap water. Make coffee and swear.

When cold, the eggs are good for the next part,..... eating. :)

(Salted eggs cook faster as they have already been brined for however long you decide suits. Those times above are for non-salted duckies)

Reactions: Brunneria
M

Member496333

Riverford says 9 minutes.

https://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/view/recipe/duck-eggs-quick-tips

I tend to put room temp eggs in cold water, bring to the boil, realise they've been boiling for an indeterminate time, so remove from the heat. I drain the boiling water, and refill with cold tap water. Make coffee and swear.

When cold, the eggs are good for the next part,..... eating. :)

(Salted eggs cook faster as they have already been brined for however long you decide suits. Those times above are for non-salted duckies)

Ha. That’s in direct contrast to both my cooking time and my experience of the tougher shells.

Important to remember though that my cooking time of three minutes is the boiling time only. The eggs are obviously cooking as the water temperature rises.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wait for them to get a bit bigger... nice pan fried duck breast..

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ll have a look next time I’m in Sainsbury’s :shifty:

:D
I have seen them for sale in Britain, however your local farmer would surely oblige. I was speaking to a guy who has a small chicken farm and he told me it would be easy enough to produce them.

Why go to Sainsbury’s when your local farmer is at hand?

Not a single carb in them, and just imagine the contrast between the soft gooey bits and crunchy textures within.

Last edited:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Saw the thread title and instantly remembered that classic line from Dirty Dancing.

“ Nobody puts carnivores in a corner “

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Reactions: porl69

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
We love duck eggs and buy a box most weeks, but has anyone else tried Arlington Whites, a tiny, white hen's egg. Very tasty and the yolks are a most fantastic orange colour. Most years, in the spring, we buy goose eggs, but these have been very difficult to find this year, they do, however, make a fantastic, golden yellow omelette, when you can actually get them.
To think, for years we didn't eat eggs, all that fat and cholesterol!!!
Sally

Reactions: Goonergal

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just bought a box of 15 eggs in Morrisons for £1.20. Wow. Varied sizes and not free range though.