How many have achieved long term reversal with LCHF?

Caprock94

I've read a ton of success stories on here about reversing type2 with LCHF diet. It has allowed me to drop my levels quickly as well. I am hoping it is a long term solution. Is that likely? How many of you have had long term success with this and avoided meds? How many years?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've said before I'm not sure about calling it "reversal" but I dropped to pre-diabetic level within a couple of months of diagnosis, and have remained there for five and a half years - low carb for whole time and metformin for first three years. Since my pancreas and I are both well past our sell date, I'm content to remain at this level, and as I prefer this way of eating I see no reason to change.

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
diagnosed 2.5 years. As per GP they call me as someone detected early ( hbac was 50 at diagnosis). Brought hbac to 42 in a year by reducing carbs( NOT LCHF). For last one year i am LCHF and levels stay at 47 mmol ( Just barely in pre diabetic)

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A loud HURRAH
for all of you, who have done long and hard job to reverse your T2, to a less problematic level!!

upload_2019-6-4_9-44-31.png

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4 years.

As it’s about 7% of my life so far, and I likely had some degree of metabolic disorder for far longer it’s a little early to call it a long term reversal, but I’m happy with how it’s going.

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I started very well , but I've put 4 pounds on and I am having trouble with my sweet tooth . I am addicted to sugar I know this , I don't eat pasta rice potatoes or root vegetables , my meals consist of full cooked breakfast , blueberries strawberries walnuts double cream, all meats fish , but I have really let myself down recently with eating biscuits and other sweet stuff , paid the price for it this morning too , been in the doctors all morning with intermittent migraine aura , scared the life out of me . Fasting today no food until tea time , just drinking coffee with double cream and water and resting . I also had a test and I am sky high on the depression list so seeing a professional about this soon. I may be starting beta blockers next week as my heart rate is fast .

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Housework - hate housework with a passion - and rude people.
Too early to tell for me as I was only diagnosed at the end of 2018. Been in ketosis since late January and intend following LCHF for the rest of my life. I test my blood glucose levels at regular intervals during the day and they are normally within the non-diabetic range (with a few blips that can usually be tracked back to a wrong food choice or stress!!). I find it helps to keep a diary of what I eat so that I can tell if anything has caused a spike. Got my first full review in July and will no doubt post the resuts on here for advice or a jolly good pat on the back! Good luck with your journey x

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Since December 2014 - 4.5 years. But reversal has been a long time in the making, as I originally went by the advised Eatwell Plan for over 4 of those years.

Last edited:

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I started very well , but I've put 4 pounds on and I am having trouble with my sweet tooth . I am addicted to sugar I know this , I don't eat pasta rice potatoes or root vegetables , my meals consist of full cooked breakfast , blueberries strawberries walnuts double cream, all meats fish , but I have really let myself down recently with eating biscuits and other sweet stuff , paid the price for it this morning too , been in the doctors all morning with intermittent migraine aura , scared the life out of me . Fasting today no food until tea time , just drinking coffee with double cream and water and resting . I also had a test and I am sky high on the depression list so seeing a professional about this soon. I may be starting beta blockers next week as my heart rate is fast .

Even after a year of lowcarb I still have a sweet tooth and have always tended to stress eat - now if I know things are likely to get bad I preplan with low carb stevia icecream and coconut/almond flour cake slices in the freezer.
And I have some stevia sweetened 'milk' chocolate for the times that 85% just isn't right, ie most nights when I can't get to sleep for hours!
I eat better than I used too, but while waiting over 10 months after applying for NHS therapy to deal with eating issues and depression I had to allow myself some low carb 'treats' to help me stay on track and in remission.

There are a couple of nice no added sugar biscuits around, the Gullon range and the Misura yogurt biscuits - don't eat too many but one or two can fit into a lowcarb life.

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
Hopefully in a few years I can say I have been 'in control' for a couple of years on LC and slightly higher fat. After about 10 months my A1C is down to 6.5 from 8.5 in May 2018, I have stopped insulin, my Metformin is cut in half (now 2x500gm per day) and I have lost nearly 30 lbs. Right now I try and max my carbs at 50 gm per day and my CGM shows a fairly level bg Daily Pattern of between 7.0 and 7.5. This seems to equate to an A1C of about 6.1. I would really like to get the A1c to nearer 5.5 but when my bg reading gets to below 6.0 I definitely start feeling hypo even though the bg doesn't agree.
Any ideas from people who have hit this 'wall'?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
3.5 years for me in non-diabetic HbA1c range and removed Metformin August 2016. Fbg between 3.8 and 4.4, post prandial rise never more than 2. 4 pb's in weight training this week. Mainly LCHP with sprinkles of LCHF and carnivore.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed