How many have achieved long term reversal with LCHF?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any ideas from people who have hit this 'wall'?

I think its a matter of getting used to being lower..
The first time I went sub 4 when fasting I felt most odd.. (day 3 of a fast) but i'd felt fine the rest of the time.
I felt a lot less odd the next few times it happened but still have a pretty good idea that I'm low.. however I also know it doesn't stay down there for long. My liver is quite happy to push out some extra glucose and I'm soon above 4 again.

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
I think its a matter of getting used to being lower..
The first time I went sub 4 when fasting I felt most odd.. (day 3 of a fast) but i'd felt fine the rest of the time.
I felt a lot less odd the next few times it happened but still have a pretty good idea that I'm low.. however I also know it doesn't stay down there for long. My liver is quite happy to push out some extra glucose and I'm soon above 4 again.
Yes, that part of my pancreas that pushes my liver also works really especially with the dawn phenomenon that often causes bg of 7.8 to 8.2 with no food. Doesn't help when I want to keep my bg much lower. Don't think I can delay breakfast as the bgs keep going up!

Reactions: ianpspurs

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hopefully in a few years I can say I have been 'in control' for a couple of years on LC and slightly higher fat. After about 10 months my A1C is down to 6.5 from 8.5 in May 2018, I have stopped insulin, my Metformin is cut in half (now 2x500gm per day) and I have lost nearly 30 lbs. Right now I try and max my carbs at 50 gm per day and my CGM shows a fairly level bg Daily Pattern of between 7.0 and 7.5. This seems to equate to an A1C of about 6.1. I would really like to get the A1c to nearer 5.5 but when my bg reading gets to below 6.0 I definitely start feeling hypo even though the bg doesn't agree.
Any ideas from people who have hit this 'wall'?
Well done on being able to stop insulin as a Type 2, and significant weight loss. Just a few ideas from me. I can recall when my blood sugars were getting better controlled, hypo like feelings were present. You may be able have your body adjust to this as it heals, so that you feel normal even around 4.5 mmol (or lower, this worked for me), this may be a slow burner.

You go to the gym very often, so possibly gearing your workouts towards muscle building would be worthwhile, whilst still doing around a third cardio, if you go down this root, there is no need for really heavy weights, just progressively building up reps until near failure - if you want change, you will need to come out of your comfort zone. If you are not going for a walk after meals, this is a great way to lower numbers. Work on your sleep if need be, if this is wrong your blood sugars will be higher, as will the amount of circulating insulin.

With consistency change will happen, or at least you will put yourself into a position to try the next thing, as the foundation will be there.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't think I can delay breakfast as the bgs keep going up!

That happens to some people when they have a lot of insulin resistance - the pancreas secretes the insulin but is prevented from pushing into the cells, and the hormones that are triggered to tell the liver to stop producing glucose can't access the liver to do their job (fatty liver preventing this).

One tip is not to have a normal breakfast, but to have protein and fat only. Possibly just eggs, or a coffee with double cream, or both. This may help. It helped me, although my levels didn't go up as high as yours.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
For my 80years old father with T2, as long as he is not taking more than 100g carbs per day, all his bg readings (except 2hrs post readings which takes 2.5 hours to return normal) are normal. But it is not just the low carb, he also exercises a total of 20-30mins a day that make his natural insulin secretion works a lot more efficiently. It has been like this for three years. This more moderate LCHF approach combine with a suitable exercise programme has made him a lot mentally sharper and very physically mobile for his age.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Diagnosed 5 years ago, 4.5 years of non-diabetic HbA1c.
LCHF at between 20 and 80g carb per day, regular walking, less stress, fitter and healthier!

Reactions: ianpspurs

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I keep on trying to eat low cal but I have issues with it. Yesterday morning, for example, my fasting glucose level (after, from memory, zero carbs in the 2nd part of the day, and low carbs in the morning) was 9.7 and I was desperately hungry! I had 3 oatcakes for my breakfast, with a cup of tea which according to the label on the packet represented 50g of carbs. I had taken my normal 32 units of Humilin S before eating and then Metformin and other tablets after eating. That was at 9.15 am, by 10.45 am my meter read 19.8! By 11.45 it was still 19.7. Another hour brought it down to 17.6. And by 13.45 it was up at 15 again (I did have a cup of tea with one half dose of co-codamol). Then, after almost no carbs (2 strawberries for lunch - 5 g carbs) and 32 units of Humilin S it dropped to 11.7 and by 1645 it was at a more acceptable 9.8. However, 1 g worth of salmon and 30 Humilin with a couple of lettuce leaves and a few slices of cucumber, then later 1 cup of tea and 1 strawberry with a friend, it went back up by 2130 to 10.0 (I'd had to go out in the afternoon) I was starving again and had 1 small slice of wholemeal bread and cheese. Went to bed, eventually, feeling sorry for myself! Took 62 units of Lantus Solostar and, during the early hours my Levothyroxine. Didn't check the meter again until this morning.

This morning - 0630 it was 11.1. And 1 cup of tea and more than 3 hours later it was 14.1. Breakfast was 1 small slice of wholemeal toast and 2 fried eggs and, the usual cup of tea and pills (insulin, of course, as usual, and Metformin and other pills). By noon it was 14.4. 32 Humilin. half an apple and some plain yoghurt put the 1430 reading of 10.8 down to 10.7 by 1545.

This pattern is pretty normal for me these days. By low carbing, I wonder if I have over-sensitised myself to carbs of any sort. I could try increasing the insulin, but it is already pretty high, and I'm not keen to do that. Nurses and dieticians say I shouldn't be low carbing at all. In all the time I have tried this regime, I haven't lost weight and I have developed other health issues (cirrhosis and kidney problems). I don't know if this is because of the lchf diet and I don't want to ask the people here - they're not keen on sharing their power/authority over my body with me!

OK, I don't feel sorry for myself any more, just annoyed with this wreck of a body I seem to have created for myself. Has anyone else had a similar experience with the lchf diet?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep on trying to eat low cal but I have issues with it. Yesterday morning, for example, my fasting glucose level (after, from memory, zero carbs in the 2nd part of the day, and low carbs in the morning) was 9.7 and I was desperately hungry! I had 3 oatcakes for my breakfast, with a cup of tea which according to the label on the packet represented 50g of carbs. I had taken my normal 32 units of Humilin S before eating and then Metformin and other tablets after eating. That was at 9.15 am, by 10.45 am my meter read 19.8! By 11.45 it was still 19.7. Another hour brought it down to 17.6. And by 13.45 it was up at 15 again (I did have a cup of tea with one half dose of co-codamol). Then, after almost no carbs (2 strawberries for lunch - 5 g carbs) and 32 units of Humilin S it dropped to 11.7 and by 1645 it was at a more acceptable 9.8. However, 1 g worth of salmon and 30 Humilin with a couple of lettuce leaves and a few slices of cucumber, then later 1 cup of tea and 1 strawberry with a friend, it went back up by 2130 to 10.0 (I'd had to go out in the afternoon) I was starving again and had 1 small slice of wholemeal bread and cheese. Went to bed, eventually, feeling sorry for myself! Took 62 units of Lantus Solostar and, during the early hours my Levothyroxine. Didn't check the meter again until this morning.

This morning - 0630 it was 11.1. And 1 cup of tea and more than 3 hours later it was 14.1. Breakfast was 1 small slice of wholemeal toast and 2 fried eggs and, the usual cup of tea and pills (insulin, of course, as usual, and Metformin and other pills). By noon it was 14.4. 32 Humilin. half an apple and some plain yoghurt put the 1430 reading of 10.8 down to 10.7 by 1545.

This pattern is pretty normal for me these days. By low carbing, I wonder if I have over-sensitised myself to carbs of any sort. I could try increasing the insulin, but it is already pretty high, and I'm not keen to do that. Nurses and dieticians say I shouldn't be low carbing at all. In all the time I have tried this regime, I haven't lost weight and I have developed other health issues (cirrhosis and kidney problems). I don't know if this is because of the lchf diet and I don't want to ask the people here - they're not keen on sharing their power/authority over my body with me!

OK, I don't feel sorry for myself any more, just annoyed with this wreck of a body I seem to have created for myself. Has anyone else had a similar experience with the lchf diet?
Sounds like you should get back to your GP and ask for a C-peptide test to see how much endogenous insulin you are producing. Readings like that and the amount you are eating (virtually nothing) sounds quite worrying.. but you say you aren't losing weight?

VMK

Just over 5 years with non-diabetic levels on a LCHF diet and a 10 point drop in my BMI. (31 down to 21)

Research the type of beta blocker if you are given one. One or two of them increase blood sugar levels. One particular one showed new onset T2 in a quarter of the participants in a trial.

https://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage.cfm?ID=x20120516081816351223

Yes. I was diagnosed T2 two years after taking propranolol for migraine prevention although I’m obviously not saying beta blockers caused it. However I’ve weaned myself off them and gone low-carb (not no-carb) and in 3 months by HbA1c has dropped to 43.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like you should get back to your GP and ask for a C-peptide test to see how much endogenous insulin you are producing. Readings like that and the amount you are eating (virtually nothing) sounds quite worrying.. but you say you aren't losing weight?

Nope - not an ounce. I think that any weight I do lose is made up for by the fluid I retain. I take pills for that as well but it makes little difference. I'll have to look up C-peptide test and endogenous insulin - these terms are unfamiliar to me.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I just looked these terms up - when I can get an appointment to see my GP or diabetic clinic nurse, I will ask about the C-peptide test. Endogenous insulin, I guess, is insulin I produce myself.

I have been told that I am "probably" insulin resistant. I don't know if that has any relevance in this situation. Part of the problem is that I am no longer young and have (possibly) been diabetic since I had my first son, 52 years ago. Diabetes was known then, but no one thought to diagnose it, despite frequent visits to various surgeries, until a few years back (about 14 or 15). I suspect it may be too late for me to do anything about it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just looked these terms up - when I can get an appointment to see my GP or diabetic clinic nurse, I will ask about the C-peptide test. Endogenous insulin, I guess, is insulin I produce myself.

I have been told that I am "probably" insulin resistant. I don't know if that has any relevance in this situation. Part of the problem is that I am no longer young and have (possibly) been diabetic since I had my first son, 52 years ago. Diabetes was known then, but no one thought to diagnose it, despite frequent visits to various surgeries, until a few years back (about 14 or 15). I suspect it may be too late for me to do anything about it.

Insulin resistance has everything to do with type 2 diabetes. The more resistant we are, the more insulin we need to clear the glucose from our system. The more insulin we inject or secrete from our pancreas, the more resistant we become. Vicious circle.

I suggest you see your diabetes nurse or doctor and show them what is happening. It is not good to be running so high all the time.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Normal Hba1c for approx 5 years on a lowish carb (between 80 - 120g), full fat diet.

Reactions: Caprock94

smw99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Three years for me, no medication and HbA1c 36 at last test. I hope this will be my forever life.

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
What a fantastic amount of inspiration I have gained from this thread.
I am certain that others will see exactly what can be accomplished with a little effort and education.

What a joy to see how a LCHF way of eating can change peoples lives around, and also to see that it IS sustainable.
Po

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
3.5 years for me in non-diabetic HbA1c range and removed Metformin August 2016. Fbg between 3.8 and 4.4, post prandial rise never more than 2. 4 pb's in weight training this week. Mainly LCHP with sprinkles of LCHF and carnivore.
Can I ask what you eat on LCHP because I am beginning to think this would be better for me as doing lchf and i often feel sick after eating a lot of fat . Thanks

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can I ask what you eat on LCHP because I am beginning to think this would be better for me as doing lchf and i often feel sick after eating a lot of fat . Thanks

Reduce your fat intake then. Just eat animal protein in whatever form you fancy, dairy, nuts, seeds, eggs and above ground vegetables and you won’t go far wrong. What sort of thing do you eat at the moment?

Reactions: millenium

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @WackyJacky64 these are examples of what I have eaten over the last few weeks:

DuckEggs-Gammon
CheeseCake
Seabass-Gammon-Courgettes-RedPeppers-Toms-Carrots
Steak-Mushrooms-GreenBeans-Toms- ButtternutSquashChips
ChickenCurrySoup-GreenBeans-CoconutFlourPancakes
SeedCrackers-Cheeses
Tuna-Raddish-RedPeppers-Toms-Courgettes
PorkRibs-ButchersBurger
ButchersBurger-AlmondFlourBun-YogurtandSpice-Lettuce-Toms-Gherkins
CauliflourPizzaBase-Prawns-Chicken-RedPeppers (yes, ate the lot)
2 Steaks-Mushrooms-Salad
Stewing Steak-Carrots-Brocolli
2 SalmonStreaks-Brocolli-Leeks-Asparagus-Couirgettes-Carrots
TigerPrawns-CoconutMuffins
Ribs-Burgers-Toms-Butternut Squash
Brazils-Pecans-Hazelnuts-Almonds-Walnuts-DarkChocolate-3ScoopsFullFatYogurtCinamon
Kippers-DuckandHensEggs-Cheese
DuckEggs-Bacon-Avocado-Cheese-Lemon
CoconutPancakes-Bacon-Cheese

Pictures Below:
MyMeals.png

Reactions: marathonmona

JeanCL

I've read a ton of success stories on here about reversing type2 with LCHF diet. It has allowed me to drop my levels quickly as well. I am hoping it is a long term solution. Is that likely? How many of you have had long term success with this and avoided meds? How many years?
I'm a low BMI prediabetic who's kept between 42 and 45 for 3 years now on lower carb higher fat, without diabetes medication, and been able to halve my BP medication, so pretty happy so far! All the best to you!

Jedab

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed T2 in April 2027. My A1c went from 5.9 to 5.2-5.3. The low carb program and the forum has helped me keep my weight around 140 pounds and my A1c at a good level. I’m 60 years old and sm 5’6. It’s really not difficult to eat low carb or keto. I make my own cookies and chocolate