Sleepy

speedboy21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Lately I have been finding it difficult to stay awake after eating. Yesterday I fell asleep 5 times in the day. Today was the final straw as I fell asleep at my desk and was very embarrassed. Any help would be appreciated if this is to do with Diabetes. My last blood counts were excellent and I have lost 13kg since December.

Thanks

Reactions: Anniya84

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @speedboy21 It wouldn't be wise to advise on this, instead it's best to see your GP and get your bloods checked in case there is something other than 'diabetes' going on.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sleepiness after meals in a T2 is often a sign of the meal having too many carbs in it and the blood sugars running high.

Do you test your own blood sugars ? If so, you could test when you start to feel sleepy and see what levels you have.
Is there a pattern with this - does it happen after eating a particular food?

M

Member496333

You need to seek medical opinion. Falling asleep five times a day is not good, irrespective of whether or not it is related to diabetes, which by the way I suspect it is.

speedboy21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My last meal was ham salad small Orange and apple. That is all I have eaten all day so fairly low carbs.

M

Member496333

My last meal was ham salad small Orange and apple. That is all I have eaten all day so fairly low carbs.

Fruit is glucose and fructose, the same two component parts of table sugar. Not ideal. Probably causing swings.

Anniya84

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Food that is killing me slowly
A medium apple has 19g of sugar, average orange has 12g of sugar. That's 31g of sugar just for them two...