lancets and pens

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
Does anyone have any recommendations about some relatively painless lancets and matching penlets? I have been using 'CareSens 28G 0.36 mm', but they really do make my fingers sore. I have them on prescription. I went into Holland and Barrett yesterday and a fellow type 1 sufferer suggested 'soft touch lancets'. I have looked on Amazon for information and find that the 'Butterfly Touch' lancets are meant to be 'pain free' (?), but the reviews are variable on Amazon. If the kinder versions of the lancets are so good, how come people don't agree about this, with one or two claiming these are even more brutal? My skin has always been 'thin', and of course as I get holder, my skin gets thinner, and I feel these things acutely! I was only diagnosed about 6-7 weeks ago, and am eligible to have the provisions on prescription. Does anyone know whether my doctor might be resistant to prescribing another type of lancet, which may also require a different penlet. And can I get the new penlet (if necessary) on prescription, or do I have to go to the hospital for that?
Thanks anyone who offers suggestions from experience!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does anyone know whether my doctor might be resistant to prescribing another type of lancet, which may also require a different penlet.
Whether your doc will prescribe them or not will more than likely be entirely down to cost unfortunately.
Admittedly I go through lancets really slowly (I rarely change them) so I can't remember the last time I actually got any (it is a big box I got last time) let alone asked for a change

Reactions: LionChild

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
That's really good if you hardly use the lancets. I am meant to be testing blood glucose four times a day. How do you manage not to have to test Rokaab? Are you on a pump?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's really good if you hardly use the lancets. I am meant to be testing blood glucose four times a day. How do you manage not to have to test Rokaab? Are you on a pump?
I do test, I just rarely replace the lancets :) - I think there are many that do not replace the lancets after every use - I get the feeling not many replace after every use.
I'm also using the Libre now as well which means less testing

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
Oh. okay. I understood that the lancets were supposed to be changed every time or they become blunted. I can see why some might use them more than once. sometimes when the prick doesnt bring forth enough blood, or hardly connects, then I also re-do with same lancet as it does seem wasteful. Do you find the Libre works well? It must make life a lot easier, but I believe sometimes you still have to test yourself - especially when unwell.... and that the Libre is not as accurate as using the lancets?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I was on a forum and we all discussed how often we changed lancets. I used to only change it every couple of months, usually when it started to hurt. I am now on a pump and CGM but still check off and on to make sure my CGM is accurate and I can't remember the last time I changed it now! But a lot of people don't change them often. One guy said literally twice a year maybe.

If it is hurting you might have the adjustment set too strong. Try to lower the setting.

Lancets and the tester are very cheap in the scheme of things, so if you like one, you just might self fund it. I've tried several over the years and decide to switch off and on when one used to attract my attention.

Last edited:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Libre still means testing. Some can be inaccurate although other tech such as Miao mean you can calibrate.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you find the Libre works well? It must make life a lot easier, but I believe sometimes you still have to test yourself - especially when unwell.... and that the Libre is not as accurate as using the lancets?
Yes it works well for me, but its still wise to verify its giving roughly the right numbers, and yes you still have to test when high or low as its not very accurate at higher and lower values.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I use the Accucheck Fastclix. I change the drum twice a week (pretty much a rarity amongst diabetics :) :)). It is relatively painless. Make sure your depth isn't set too deep if you are getting pain from it! I also use the Libre BUT still finger prick 4 times a day to confirm what the Libre is telling me

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
A CGM is sooo worth it!! Yes, you have to verify how off it is and still test off and on.. But you get to see your numbers all day, you just glance instead of a finger stick 50 times a day if you want. You'll see trends and know at a glance if you are dropping or climbing. It really is one of the best things they've developed for us! But yes, some finger sticking still required.

D

Deleted Account

@LionChild sorry you are finding your finger pricking painful.
There are some things we can do to reduce the pain:
- make sure you have adjusted the depth of the prick to the minimum necessary to get blood
- swap fingers regularly. I use my left hand on odd numbered dates (e.g. 5th June) and my right hand on even numbered dates (e.g. 6th June). I also rotate the finger I use throughout the day.
- try pricking on a different part of the finger. Some of us find the side of the finger is less painful whereas others find the pad in the middle is better for them
- time. Any pain from finger pricking has reduced over the years I have been doing it. I think my fingers have got a bit tougher with the pricking which has more impact that the thinning of skin as I get older.
- numb your fingers. This is not always possible but you could try numbing your finger with something like an ice cube. This may not help as the cold may push the blood away (I have to prick deeper in the winter when my fingers are colder but this is exaggerated in me as I have Reynaud's).

Jay_Loftus

Hey, Before going on to the freestyle libre I used the multiclix lancet and pen I think they’re about £15 on eBay but you can get them through you consultant pretty easy! We had other ones at home but like you they all made my fingers a bit painful and the initial Lance was not the nicest. I found the multiclix to be probably the best finger prickers I’ve used!

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
My doctor gave me a new machine with sundries inside all in a new box. They use the same machine themselves its called AGAMAGIC. I'm pretty sure if you went on their website you'd get a kit for free, I also sent for a family member; Lola.
Lola is my Bassett Hound.
I took get painful fingers and can't seem to draw blood from my right hand unless I press hard then its really painful.
This lancet pen is adjustable for depth and I keep it on the lowest setting and I test 3 times a day. There isn't much pain at all just a buzz sensation. My GP told me not to press hard and stay away from the pads of my fingers.
Anyways, try and get a kit for free and try it, I used a Beyer before, this is less painful, not painful at all really.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Q007 Off topic, sorry, but you have a basset hound with diabetes? I have a doberman with diabetes, We test her every day, sometimes twice, with just a lancet on the inside of the mouth. We couldn't get blood out of her ear easily and someone suggested the inside of the mouth and it works great!

Reactions: Q007
D

Deleted member 308541

I use both Multiclix and Fastclix lancing devises and lancers as they are relatively pain free when lancing.

I have been stung by paper wasps that cause more pain than a lancet will.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
@Q007 Off topic, sorry, but you have a basset hound with diabetes? I have a doberman with diabetes, We test her every day, sometimes twice, with just a lancet on the inside of the mouth. We couldn't get blood out of her ear easily and someone suggested the inside of the mouth and it works great!
Oh no sorry, Lola doesnt have diabetes! I simply used her name to get another kit sent out which I just used the sundries as they're so expensive to buy. I get them on the NHS now as my diabetes has gone out of control.

I'm sorry to hear about your Doberman, I must be so tough on you to draw bloods, I can't get Lola to have her claws cut she gets so distressed. Good luck then. Q.

Reactions: Marie 2