Question about Aspartame and type 2 diabetes?

Vidar

Apologies if this is in the wrong section but I was curious if anyone knows if Aspartame can cause type 2 diabetes. I've been diagnosed just over a week and know my blood test had a level of around 32 only 6 months ago, now 56.

I absolutely loved fizzy drinks and about 6 months ago decided to make the change to diet stuff like coke zero etc. As my one vice really I was getting through a bottle a day.

Do you guys think this maybe the cause?

M

Member496333

Seems doubtful but if it’s true that it stimulates an insulin response then it’s conceivable that it could contribute to insulin resistance.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people get an insulin spike from artificial sweeteners, because the body can't tell the difference. So it wouldn't help, if that is the case for you. Some (like me) have their gut bacteria die off. There's been research linking it to cancer. I can't say where your T2 came from though. Could be anything. Genetic predisposition is usually there, combined with what, to cause the steep rise in HbA1c? Stress, sleepless nights/shiftwork, statins for cholesterol, steroids... Could just be that your pancreas stopped being able to keep up with insulin production after a long time of keeping your levels perfect by pumping out massive loads of it. Who knows. I do know I feel better since quitting all sweeteners except for erythritol and Stevia, and even those I rarely ever use. But did it cause the diabetes? Most likely you were on that road as it was. If your insulin output did increase, well... It sped things up, possibly. But there's no way of telling now.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apologies if this is in the wrong section but I was curious if anyone knows if Aspartame can cause type 2 diabetes. I've been diagnosed just over a week and know my blood test had a level of around 32 only 6 months ago, now 56.

I absolutely loved fizzy drinks and about 6 months ago decided to make the change to diet stuff like coke zero etc. As my one vice really I was getting through a bottle a day.

Do you guys think this maybe the cause?
It seems unlikely to me that you would have such an extreme reaction to aspartame over such a short period of time. Particularly so if you were replacing diet drinks instead of the highly sugar loaded normal version.

The truth is that it is difficult to answer why we go on to develop diabetes, although of course it is understandable that the question is raised.

In all honesty at the moment the answer is irrelevant. You can not go back in time and change anything so accept and manage your condition.

For this you need to move away from the idea that something or somebody (you?) Is to blame for your diabetes. It may just be that you were dealt with a genetic short straw.

Welcome to the forum and keep yourself well

Regards

Pavlos

Vidar

Thanks guys I just found it curious. And I promise I'm not looking to dump the blame on anything else just trying to educate myself.

Reactions: Prem51

TrevorJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your body can't process aspartame like it does sugar, so it is unlikely.

My blood sugar did the same thing when I was diagnosed. The doctor told me it was like a roller coaster, you build slowly but once things start going over the tipping point it can get out of hand quick. I would look more to breads, pasta, fruits, and other carbs as the source of your rise.

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I avoided aspartame as it made me feel really weird - for a long time I did not have fizzy drinks at all, but there are now alternatives which use sucralose, so there are other options.
If you are really drinking a lot of non water beverages it might be wise to cut back for a while to see if it can make a difference.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Apologies if this is in the wrong section but I was curious if anyone knows if Aspartame can cause type 2 diabetes. I've been diagnosed just over a week and know my blood test had a level of around 32 only 6 months ago, now 56. …….
Hi Vidar,
While it is unlikely that Aspartame or any artificial sweetener could directly cause T2, it is well known that because the body feels 'cheated' when the sugar rush fails to materialise, it can increase the craving for carbs. And that could cause you to consume more carbs than you did when you drank the original sugar filled version of the drink!

Just in case, I would try to find an alternative drink containing neither sugar nor artificial sweetener.