Travelling Abroad - Hand Luggage Only

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
I am travelling a couple of times this year within the EU and plan to take only hand luggage on the plane. Can I take my Metformin tablets and tester/strips with me without any issues?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't see any problems with it.. I have never been asked about meter and strips.. don't use meds so can't comment.

Reactions: Fencer

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am travelling to Europe with hand luggage only later in the year. I was just going to make sure I take the meds in their original boxes and have a copy of my prescription to back up the fact I am carrying tablets. I hadn’t even thought about my meter!

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
It's more the little sharp I was wondering about rather than the actual meter, but surely that's short enough it won't be a problem?

I'll ask for a copy of my prescription then. I normally just order online and collect the medicine from boots.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's more the little sharp I was wondering about rather than the actual meter, but surely that's short enough it won't be a problem?

I'll ask for a copy of my prescription then. I normally just order online and collect the medicine from boots.
Just leave it in the lancing device and they won't even notice..

Reactions: ringi

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can take tablets (a prescription is wise)
You can take your meter and strips
I think you can take lancets (I have on a number of flights in Europe and outside Europe without any problem)
I know you are only taking hand luggage, but I always put these items in hand luggage (I don't take tablets) even if I am taking checked in baggage. It is very important that they don't get lost.

M

Member496333

I’d be amazed if it presented a problem. I’ve even taken my diabetes paraphernalia onboard international and internal US flights, and those guys seem to take airport security quite seriously. Worst case they may ask you to open up the bag and check your meter kit, but I’d be surprised. I’m very sure airport security staff around the world are well accustomed with diabetes equipment and medicines. You most certainly won’t be prevented from taking it on the flight.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I'd always take your medication in hand luggage; the last time I travelled I seem to remember that there was a note in security to display medication so I put mine in one of the clear plastic bags. They also 'advise' you to have documentation (such as prescriptions) showing that the medication is yours but I don't think that is an obligation.

Medicine is not something you need to declare anywhere and in my experience I have never ever had any questions about insulin, needles, testing equipment and all the rest.

Don't worry!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never had any problems travelling globally but do have a copy of my prescription and tablet boxes with me.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I put all mine in a clear bag with the prescription for the EU, and also take a letter to anywhere my codeine might be an issue (I avoid places where it is completely banned). If only taking hand luggage my 14 prescription items and meter, etc need a second bag, this is permitted as I'm disabled but you should check what evidence the airline wants if you do this and be prepared to argue if it's Ryanair.
Going through security the bag comes out same as a phone/laptop so they can see the items clearly, ironically they then sometimes swab me for drugs!

Anniya84

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Food that is killing me slowly
I can confirm that I had no issues travelling around Europe just earlier in May. I had only hand luggage and was carrying my meter, strips and lancets, and had week's worth of Metformin in a pillbox - no paperwork with it whatsoever. Nobody batted an eyelid and got through fine.

TrevorJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've flown all over the world with a meter, lanclets, strips, pills, etc. Just make sure you have a copy of your prescription. So far I haven't had any problem in the USA, China, Europe, or Thailand.

Najw68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am travelling a couple of times this year within the EU and plan to take only hand luggage on the plane. Can I take my Metformin tablets and tester/strips with me without any issues?
I have travelled all around the world without any problem. I leave everything in my hand luggage when i go through security.
I also have a letter from my Diabetic Nurse stating the medication I carry and also that I should leave my shoes on due to possibility of cuts and infections. (NOT that they take any notice of that part, they still make me take shoes off.

RhonaB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I'm just back from the US and packed my pills and monitor in my hand luggage with no problems at all. I took my repeat prescription with my just in case, but security were only interested in my Kindle!

egontoast

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I always take insulin, meter, lancets, pricking device, pen and about 4 different medications in hand luggage. I have travelled like this to USA, UAE, Russia, Suez, Cuba and all over Europe without a problem.

Will 46

As Dillinger states you can take medication on a flight so long as its easily displayed in a clear plastic bag

Jay_Loftus

Hi,

When ever I travel to the EU or anywhere by plane I get a letter from my GP saying I will need to carry my medication in my hand luggage (I am type 1) so I need to inform of the sharps aswell.

You can get a letter but I don’t see an issue with you carry the tablets and the only other thing would be the meter obviously being an electrical device will need to be separate/out of your bag when going through security!